Solving Rational Inequalities Algebraically

Watch
beachpanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi - I've attached a section from my Further Maths textbook which explains how to solve rational inequalities algebraically.

But I'm struggling to see how we know whether to use a less than/greater than sign or a less than or equal to sign etc?

It's only from looking at the graph of the function that I can see why it's x ≤ - 2 rather than x < - 2 for example.

Is anyone able to help?
Attached files
Last edited by beachpanda; 8 months ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by beachpanda)
Hi - I've attached a section from my Further Maths textbook which explains how to solve rational inequalities algebraically.

But I'm struggling to see how we know whether to use a less than/greater than sign or a less than or equal to sign etc?

It's only from looking at the graph of the function that I can see why it's x ≤ 2 rather than x < 2 for example.

Is anyone able to help?
You realize why they're interested in those 4 intervals?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago

It's only from looking at the graph of the function that I can see why it's x ≤ 2 rather than x < 2 for example.

Is anyone able to help?
Can x=2? Look at the original function.
beachpanda
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Can x=2? Look at the original function.
Sorry typo, I meant:

It's only from looking at the graph of the function that I can see why it's x ≤ - 2 rather than x < - 2 for example.
(Original post by mqb2766)
You realize why they're interested in those 4 intervals?
I think so yeah as these are the points where there's roots, local maxima and asymptotes?
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sorry typo, I meant:

I think so yeah as these are the points where there's roots, local maxima and asymptotes?
Those are the fancy names, but for this problem its where one of the factors flips signs.
If you multiplying or dividing, you need an odd number of factors to be negative for the result < 0
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 8 months ago
When dealing with the critical points, we can go back to the original inequality and check. So, sub in x=-2, and does it satisfy the inequality?

You would need to do that as the original inequality, may be strict, "<", or not ,"<=". If it's strict, then x=-2 doesn't satisfy the original inequality, but here it's not strict, and it does satisfy it, and hence we include it in the solution set.
beachpanda
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
When dealing with the critical points, we can go back to the original inequality and check. So, sub in x=-2, and does it satisfy the inequality?

You would need to do that as the original inequality, may be strict, "<", or not ,"<=". If it's strict, then x=-2 doesn't satisfy the original inequality, but here it's not strict, and it does satisfy it, and hence we include it in the solution set.
That makes a lot more sense, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.38%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.38%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
46.88%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (6)
18.75%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads