Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Trendmicro, my antivirus and firewall has just expired and I am a believer in that paying for some thing especially antivirus is better than free alternatives. So the question is, how good is AVG and if not, TrendMicro or Kaspersky

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that AVG is widely regarded as the best option at the moment, and it's probably what I'd go for. I'm sure I'll be corrected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Trendmicro, my antivirus and firewall has just expired and I am a believer in that paying for some thing especially antivirus is better than free alternatives. So the question is, how good is AVG and if not, TrendMicro or Kaspersky

Norton is the best. However Norton itself is regarded as a virus because it hogs up your memory, freezing ur computer all the time.

So go for AVG!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Kaspersky or NOD32 are both very good if you're willing to fork over money. I've never really heard much about the paid version of AVG.

ReputationRep:
    People still use anti virus? Haha. I've not used any for 3 years now and I've not had a single virus. Why do people spend so much money on anti virus? :|

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood anti-virus software. Surely just don't download/run any dodgy files? Saves you all that memory they take up

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so if you have no AV, how do you know you haven't had a virus in 3 years? Not all viruses make themselves known to the end user.

That is of course unless you run the various online checkers out there every now and then or use *nix/Mac OS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    Ok, so if you have no AV, how do you know you haven't had a virus in 3 years? Not all viruses make themselves known to the end user.

That is of course unless you run the various online checkers out there every now and then or use *nix/Mac OS.
    I format my hard drive every ~2 months and I am vigilant when downloading, if it looks suspicious, I don't download it. I've ran scans with free software every year or so and they've never picked up anything. I should scan now, actually. New PC soon though, can't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    I have to take issue with this I'm afraid! The best malware out there is generally designed for *nix!

ReputationRep:
    i don't haven't had a virus checker since i got Vista, just use Firefox with noScript to defend against XSS, then just be cautious of what you download and who's computer you put your memory stick in (that sounds kinda dirty but i don't mean it like that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I have to take issue with this I'm afraid! The best malware out there is generally designed for *nix!
    Have you got any specific examples of this? Especially ones that don't require root access to run? Obviously with the way *nix is built it's inherently rather secure, but still obviously open to software bugs and user error. (Though I suppose you can also argue Windows viruses/malware are mostly down to user error nowadays)

ReputationRep:
    Avast Home it's free and good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    Have you got any specific examples of this? Especially ones that don't require root access to run? Obviously with the way *nix is built it's inherently rather secure, but still obviously open to software bugs and user error. (Though I suppose you can also argue Windows viruses/malware are mostly down to user error nowadays)
    Well, I guess on nix its mainly misconfiguration and a tendency to not update everything that is peoples shortfall.

People in 'the scene' are constantly portscanning looking for boxes to crack, and the crackers are constantly cracking them. There's loads of automated tools for *nix (linux especially) that faciliate this. Then once the box is compromised and rootkitted nicely, you are completely screwed without a reformat. At least in windows most things are a bit more transparent much of the time.

It's just a different more overt type of malware on the EU market then the server one. People just want zombies/cc details/ad cash/dpa harvests on a EU PC. On a server they want to covertly control the system.

eg: Most viruses (automated ones especially) are propogated from a zombie server.

ReputationRep:
    Kaspersky is the best of the three you mentioned.

But the best anti-virus is without doubt ESET nod32. I was skeptical until i tried it, but it really is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I use the paid version of AVG and it's great, it has picked up any viruses i've got on the odd occasion (I download ALOT). It also has an active shield mode so it's constantly aware of any new viruses as and when you get them. If I remember correctly it is £29.99 a year.

ReputationRep:
    Riiiiight, my dad is the manager of an anti-virus and security software company (Cellar Systems), and I worked there over the summer.

The one I'd actually recommend above all the others is F-Secure home edition, but wait a couple of weeks before you get it. They have just released a new home edition which is small in memory, but the most modern and advanced software available.

To be honest, I don't find Norton that good as they don't update their service enough. Kaspersky is OK, and NOD32 is fairly good, and Symantec is good. Obviously avoid McAfee/Sophos at all costs, we received a large number of complaints about them reguarly.

ReputationRep:
    1. Bitdefender
    2. nod32
    3. kaspersky

get any of these 3 and you'll be fine

other alternatives are panda, f-secure, norton, avast, mcafee etc but these don't compare to the 3 afformentioned

ReputationRep:
    AVG Free and the paid for copy are exactly the same in terms of catching viruses. You lose some features by going with the free one, but the use the same virus databases. AVG is a very respected AV application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    He's right, nix worms are pretty easy to get (port scanning etc. all the time) if you're sharing/multiple users/not configured correctly.

PITA to get rid of too

AVG Free is awesome.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.