Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone applied this year? should be hearing about places within 2 weeks or so. what distance training are people doing at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Dear god no, running 26 miles, i respect anyone who can do that, but no, i'm not that good at endurance.

Those people are mental
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how do you apply

ReputationRep:
    you're a little late. the only way you can guarantee a place now is to register with a specified charity but there is usually a minimum amount you have to raise, usually around £1000, but poss. more.

ReputationRep:
    I've signed up for info on the 2010 ballot. I'd love to run a marathon but there is no way I will be able to commit to training for it this year (final year of uni, marathon is a few weeks before finals).

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to run it too but I know there's no way I can bet fit enough for it. I'm aiming for Dublin in October 09 and if that goes well then London 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    I'd love to run it too but I know there's no way I can bet fit enough for it. I'm aiming for Dublin in October 09 and if that goes well then London 10.
    Hoping to train for Dublin '09 myself, really depends what sort of base I can build up before starting marathon training though.

ReputationRep:
    I did a half marathon today and found this taxing in itself, although i could have trained a hell of alot more and tailored my diet that bit better...

I have respect for people who do half marathons but a whole load more for people who do the full shebang. Knowing what i do know, i know i'd have to work my butt-cheeks off, do the leg weights, do resistance/weights training, have a clean diet for a sustained period of time...for the full marathon. Makes you realize you really need a lifestyle change, make big sacrifices...to do a full marathon.

13 miles is alot, but 26 miles. Deary me

* i just know i'll be woken up with bloody painful leg cramps tonight

ReputationRep:
    i would only do a full marathon if i thought i could do it in a respectable time... which i happen to consider as about 4 hours lol which is v good
    and er... i've only done 10k and that was flipping hard. the LM is far too close if i were to start training now i still don't think i'd be ready unless i did nothing else but train... which i can't do or i might lol. now i'm just training for my usual 5k run in race for life. there's a 10k run in november but i dont think i'll be ready for it lol i can barely do 5k now. i've lost so much fitness over holidays it is scary. =( if all goes well i'll do a 10k in 2009 at some point again.

Entered after the last one; waiting to see if I'm doing it this year.

Preparation's fine. There's still 7 months, I have no sports commitments this year, and I'm running 15k a week comfortably. Would want to get as close to 3:30 as possible. All theoretical anyway: still haven't heard back from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Entered after the last one; waiting to see if I'm doing it this year.

Preparation's fine. There's still 7 months, I have no sports commitments this year, and I'm running 15k a week comfortably. Would want to get as close to 3:30 as possible. All theoretical anyway: still haven't heard back from them.

cool. i'm averaging about 13 miles a week - 20/21k, but split into only 3 runs. i just want to know if i'm in, it's frustrating not knowing how much training i will have to be doing in cold, dark december, jan and feb. plus it being final A-level year...

(Original post by cillitbang)
    cool. i'm averaging about 13 miles a week - 20/21k, but split into only 3 runs. i just want to know if i'm in, it's frustrating not knowing how much training i will have to be doing in cold, dark december, jan and feb. plus it being final A-level year...
    Then you're fine. One of the guys on my hockey team ran it last year in 3:45 with little-to-no distance training, and he's a lazy, scrawny wee thing. Several hours a week won't hurt your A2s! Ditto to the wanting to find out, just so I can start thinking about training and have an excuse to stop eating rubbish.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.