emrex03
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm taking OCR Latin at A level and does anyone have any resources (online preferably) that would be useful for Cicero Philippic II (the prose text I'm doing)?? Also how to write a Latin lit essay, which I have no clue how to do? Any other advice on revision would be helpful...Thanks.
Cat.killeen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i'm doing the same text for latin! my teacher's rather vague in her teaching style, so I'm also struggling because we have really few notes!! There is a website I use when I can't remember my translation - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ - where you can basically find any classical literature in both the original latin/greek and the most well-used translation of it in English. wish I could help with the essays but I struggle too! my 15 markers have no structure whatsoever....
lemonadetea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m self teaching a level latin and I’m so stuck on this too!
emrex03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cat.killeen)
i'm doing the same text for latin! my teacher's rather vague in her teaching style, so I'm also struggling because we have really few notes!! There is a website I use when I can't remember my translation - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ - where you can basically find any classical literature in both the original latin/greek and the most well-used translation of it in English. wish I could help with the essays but I struggle too! my 15 markers have no structure whatsoever....
Great! Thank you so much! I thought it was only a dictionary tho, but obviously I'm wrong lol
Tigerlille
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I’m also doing the same text! Unfortunately I don’t know of any online help. The OCR exam board commentary is good but a bit basic. It’s so annoying how there are so few resources but I guess there are also not very many of us haha. For structure for the 15 markers I think just being as formulaic as possible is the best approach if you’re struggling. Take at least one point from every 2-3 lines of the extract to make sure you get comprehensive coverage of the text or you can’t get above 10 marks. Also the change I made that helped me get from 8/15 to 14/15 was to be more exact with terminology and to explain its effect clearly. Also make the narrative point first and then the style point. So for example talk about how Antony’s gender roles are reversed to mimick an archetypal Greek comedy and emasculate him and then follow this up with an alliteration or chiasmus point and make sure you say what effect it has.
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Same! This website has some Cicero stuff: https://massolit.io/courses?q=Cicero&submit=+

Right now, I'm making flashcards for the set texts as we go along as that's how I like to revise. For the essay, we haven't really gone into too much detail of how to do it just yet but so far my teacher has said to have roughly one point per mark and to split your points up across the bullet points that you have to answer and then further split it up into stylistic features and background knowledge.

Also what other set texts are you doing? I'm doing Cicero Philippics II and Aeneid Book XI lines 1 - 224 at the moment - no clue what my other are
elilast
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I did Cicero's Philippics for A-Level (well I didn't actually take the exam haha) - I'd definitely agree with the recommendations of Perseus and Massolit. The Philippics translation on Perseus is a bit old and it's not perfect, but it definitely helped me translate. I think you can also get a free trial on Massolit - I watched these ones on the 2nd Philippic while they were offering the website free due to covid, not sure if they'll bring that back. For the essay, do you mean the 15-mark question commenting on a passage, or the whole essay on the text (I think it's 30 marks? anyway, it's the one answering a question rather than the passage).

For the 15-marker, Tigerlille has given some advice very similar to what I was told - literally just try to make as many points as possible (up to 15 if you can) and have an even balance of style (alliteration, chiasmus etc.) and content/context points (something like Cicero here is implying that Antony is so in the power of Curio and so he's the passive partner in the relationship, emasculated, not a proper man or something). Try and back up each point with a quote in Latin and then translate the Latin into English. I used to try and do something like 1) make a content point 2) quote 3) describe a stylistic effect which adds to it. I can't remember the text very well now, so sorry about the quality of this example, but to give you an idea of the structure...

When Cicero is talking about Curio and Antony's relationship, he emphasises Antony's insatiable lust and un-Romannes by describing how he tried to go against Curio's father ("te pater eius domu sua eiecit...custodes posuit", 'his father threw you out of the house...he placed guards'). Antony's continued attempts to do this, and so the extent to which his vices are uncontrolled, are further highlighted by the anaphora of 'quotiens'.

As for revision, I first looked over my notes and made a few mindmaps. Then I printed off plain versions of the texts, put my notes away and tried to translate the text from memory and annotate any stylistic or context points in pencil, and at the end compared with my actual notes to check if I missed anything. If you guys are desperate for notes, I might be able to find my old ones, so PM me if you need any more help! (Or if you have any more questions about Latin A-Level, I know it's a bit of an obscure one)
Last edited by elilast; 5 months ago
emrex03
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScoutLeopard)
Same! This website has some Cicero stuff: https://massolit.io/courses?q=Cicero&submit=+

Right now, I'm making flashcards for the set texts as we go along as that's how I like to revise. For the essay, we haven't really gone into too much detail of how to do it just yet but so far my teacher has said to have roughly one point per mark and to split your points up across the bullet points that you have to answer and then further split it up into stylistic features and background knowledge.

Also what other set texts are you doing? I'm doing Cicero Philippics II and Aeneid Book XI lines 1 - 224 at the moment - no clue what my other are
Thanks!! Well, I'm starting Virgil's Aeneid in January but yeah, I think its book XI like you're doing.
emrex03
Rep:
?
(Original post by elilast)
Hi! I did Cicero's Philippics for A-Level (well I didn't actually take the exam haha) - I'd definitely agree with the recommendations of Perseus and Massolit. The Philippics translation on Perseus is a bit old and it's not perfect, but it definitely helped me translate. I think you can also get a free trial on Massolit - I watched these ones on the 2nd Philippic while they were offering the website free due to covid, not sure if they'll bring that back. For the essay, do you mean the 15-mark question commenting on a passage, or the whole essay on the text (I think it's 30 marks? anyway, it's the one answering a question rather than the passage).

For the 15-marker, Tigerlille has given some advice very similar to what I was told - literally just try to make as many points as possible (up to 15 if you can) and have an even balance of style (alliteration, chiasmus etc.) and content/context points (something like Cicero here is implying that Antony is so in the power of Curio and so he's the passive partner in the relationship, emasculated, not a proper man or something). Try and back up each point with a quote in Latin and then translate the Latin into English. I used to try and do something like 1) make a content point 2) quote 3) describe a stylistic effect which adds to it. I can't remember the text very well now, so sorry about the quality of this example, but to give you an idea of the structure...

When Cicero is talking about Curio and Antony's relationship, he emphasises Antony's insatiable lust and un-Romannes by describing how he tried to go against Curio's father ("te pater eius domu sua eiecit...custodes posuit", 'his father threw you out of the house...he placed guards'). Antony's continued attempts to do this, and so the extent to which his vices are uncontrolled, are further highlighted by the anaphora of 'quotiens'.

As for revision, I first looked over my notes and made a few mindmaps. Then I printed off plain versions of the texts, put my notes away and tried to translate the text from memory and annotate any stylistic or context points in pencil, and at the end compared with my actual notes to check if I missed anything. If you guys are desperate for notes, I might be able to find my old ones, so PM me if you need any more help! (Or if you have any more questions about Latin A-Level, I know it's a bit of an obscure one)
This is great thanks!!!

Drop here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads