Violet24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I need motivation to get a job and learn how to drive and go to uni to study top modules. Any ideas?
Nawaz_101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Violet24)
I need motivation to get a job and learn how to drive and go to uni to study top modules. Any ideas?
hey bud,
it feels awkwardly nice to see im not the only one who has gone through this stuff.
finding the motivation is easy, its being clear about what u primarily want to do is the difficult part.
many a times i get caught in between many things that i feel i should be doing, many of these things r stuff ive seen other people do or have.
so its pretty imp imo to first be clear about what troubles u primarily.

can u put the above in order of increasing worry so we can find out together what exactly is it u need to find motivation for. In my experience just getting the one rights sets the ball rolling and everything falls into place, im sure the same will happen with u, but first lets get the first thing first.
let me know a bit more detail about what u want to do first or whats scaring u, or even a bit more detail about u

Lastly ,don't worry, the fact that u can speak up about it tells me U GOT THIS now just a few small things to be done and ull look back at this post someday and smile
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Textbook advice would be:

1. Set up a routine/schedule/timetable and stick to it - I like to stick to an 8 hour a day schedule and pretend I am doing full time work for at least 40 hours a week
  2. Learn how to tap into the flow state
  3. Start on a task for at least 5 minutes, irrespective of how you feel
  4. Have every budgeted and set the money aside
  5. Work backwards from your goals and break the steps into bitesize manageable chunks - check off each task/mini goal once you have achieved it
  6. Remind yourself of your priorities when you're verging off track - seeing the big picture
  7. Once you have achieved a small task, you will feel like a small win, but keep going and do not break the momentum

When it comes to learning how to drive, get a multiple choice book and learn the theory
I'd then see which driving instructor in your local area is right for you - do the research beforehand

I have no good pointers for jobs, but I can say you should look at the following:
  • Network with friends who have jobs and see whether they hear anything
  • Have 3-4 templated CVs for 3-4 types of jobs; design it so you can amend things on the fly
  • Contact job agencies and recruitment agencies regarding the work you're looking for and see if you can drop off your CV with them
  • Go on the major websites with the jobs you want and see if you can apply to any. The main ones that come to mind are indeed and reed
  • Set up a routine where you would do the recruitment work within the first 3 hours of your working day, unless you have to go to college/do college work
  • If you have a specific employer in mind, I'd check on their websites and try to network with people who know people who are already working there e.g. McDonald's

Studying: I'm not the best person to talk about study, but those who have got the high A* grades tend to stick to schedules, work on past papers under timed conditions, keep in contact with tutors, learn from mistakes, learn good essay plans, practice calculation questions, review notes regularly. For good study tips, you can always look at YouTube videos specific to the A Levels you do, especially if they say they managed to achieved the high grades.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don't bother, to much effort innit
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nawaz_101)
hey bud,
it feels awkwardly nice to see im not the only one who has gone through this stuff.
finding the motivation is easy, its being clear about what u primarily want to do is the difficult part.
many a times i get caught in between many things that i feel i should be doing, many of these things r stuff ive seen other people do or have.
so its pretty imp imo to first be clear about what troubles u primarily.

can u put the above in order of increasing worry so we can find out together what exactly is it u need to find motivation for. In my experience just getting the one rights sets the ball rolling and everything falls into place, im sure the same will happen with u, but first lets get the first thing first.
let me know a bit more detail about what u want to do first or whats scaring u, or even a bit more detail about u

Lastly ,don't worry, the fact that u can speak up about it tells me U GOT THIS now just a few small things to be done and ull look back at this post someday and smile
I have completed my Masters and I have got 6 months of Lab experience. I need to apply to a graduate job and study a few modules at Uni to qualify. I need to complete a portfolio at work when I get my job.
I need to learn to drive do that I can drive to work. This is especially important because of COVID otherwise I will have to get a train instead. Also it would be better to drive in case train gets cancelled etc.
The importance is
1. Learn how to drive before I get my graduate job so at least I am nearly there in being able to pass a driving test
2. Apply for a graduate job
3. Send my application to Uni to study the top up modules before applying to a graduate job so that I know what I have to study by the time I get my job. I need to send an application to have my degree assessed, then they will tell me what degree modules I need to study. I will then need to choose what Uni to study as a long distance learning course and attend on campus to sit my exams.
I hope this helps 🙂
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Don't bother, to much effort innit
I need to learn how to drive especially because of COVID and in case trains are cancelled. I suppose I am scared if getting COVID if I learn how to drive.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I need to learn how to drive especially because of COVID and in case trains are cancelled. I suppose I am scared if getting COVID if I learn how to drive.
Why not walk?
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Why not walk?
The job would be far away, a 40 minute drive if I left the house early.
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Textbook advice would be:

1. Set up a routine/schedule/timetable and stick to it - I like to stick to an 8 hour a day schedule and pretend I am doing full time work for at least 40 hours a week
  2. Learn how to tap into the flow state
  3. Start on a task for at least 5 minutes, irrespective of how you feel
  4. Have every budgeted and set the money aside
  5. Work backwards from your goals and break the steps into bitesize manageable chunks - check off each task/mini goal once you have achieved it
  6. Remind yourself of your priorities when you're verging off track - seeing the big picture
  7. Once you have achieved a small task, you will feel like a small win, but keep going and do not break the momentum

When it comes to learning how to drive, get a multiple choice book and learn the theory
I'd then see which driving instructor in your local area is right for you - do the research beforehand

I have no good pointers for jobs, but I can say you should look at the following:
  • Network with friends who have jobs and see whether they hear anything
  • Have 3-4 templated CVs for 3-4 types of jobs; design it so you can amend things on the fly
  • Contact job agencies and recruitment agencies regarding the work you're looking for and see if you can drop off your CV with them
  • Go on the major websites with the jobs you want and see if you can apply to any. The main ones that come to mind are indeed and reed
  • Set up a routine where you would do the recruitment work within the first 3 hours of your working day, unless you have to go to college/do college work
  • If you have a specific employer in mind, I'd check on their websites and try to network with people who know people who are already working there e.g. McDonald's

Studying: I'm not the best person to talk about study, but those who have got the high A* grades tend to stick to schedules, work on past papers under timed conditions, keep in contact with tutors, learn from mistakes, learn good essay plans, practice calculation questions, review notes regularly. For good study tips, you can always look at YouTube videos specific to the A Levels you do, especially if they say they managed to achieved the high grades.
I shall be making a plan tomorrow. This really helps, thanks.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The job would be far away, a 40 minute drive if I left the house early.
Given you've not applied yet, let alone got the graduate job, howd you know how far away it'll be?

Just move to close to where you get the job.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Study tips- make up some flashcards, do practice questions, and keep at it. Test yourself too. Use your notes as well. Try the colour coding technique. See where to improve in addition and also have a weekly revision timetable. Practice your exam technique additionally.
Job hunting- try Linked in. Check the newspaper and scour the Internet.
Claudia buchanan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi my name is Claudia and I am new to this app I am going into year 12 I have a disability and it is hard for me to look for a job
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Claudia buchanan)
Hi my name is Claudia and I am new to this app I am going into year 12 I have a disability and it is hard for me to look for a job
Right.
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Given you've not applied yet, let alone got the graduate job, howd you know how far away it'll be?

The jobs I can apply for will involve me traveling by train, it will be 40 minute drive to all the places I could apply to.
Violet24
Rep:
?
I nearly got selected at interview, I was one point away from being chosen. I think after another 2 or 3 interviews I should get the job, I just need a bit more practice.

(Original post by Quady)

I nearly got selected at interview, I was one point away from being chosen. I think after another 2 or 3 interviews I should get the job, I just need a bit more practice.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The jobs I can apply for will involve me traveling by train, it will be 40 minute drive to all the places I could apply to.
Surely there are jobs more than 40mins drive away? Probably better ones. No?
Violet24
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Surely there are jobs more than 40mins drive away? Probably better ones. No?
Yes, but whilst I am just trying to qualify I should stay at home and commute. I lived away from parents at uni and it is nice to be back at home. The other thing is rent is very expensive to pay and not a lot of money is left over whereas now I can save up. Also I need to make sure I can pass my probationary period as COVID made this impossible on my previous job.
Nawaz_101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have completed my Masters and I have got 6 months of Lab experience. I need to apply to a graduate job and study a few modules at Uni to qualify. I need to complete a portfolio at work when I get my job.
I need to learn to drive do that I can drive to work. This is especially important because of COVID otherwise I will have to get a train instead. Also it would be better to drive in case train gets cancelled etc.
The importance is
1. Learn how to drive before I get my graduate job so at least I am nearly there in being able to pass a driving test
2. Apply for a graduate job
3. Send my application to Uni to study the top up modules before applying to a graduate job so that I know what I have to study by the time I get my job. I need to send an application to have my degree assessed, then they will tell me what degree modules I need to study. I will then need to choose what Uni to study as a long distance learning course and attend on campus to sit my exams.
I hope this helps 🙂
great to see u sort it hope u had a great nye, start of the year can bring changes big or small..
have u tried taking it one step at a time, 1 is learning to drive, should take u a couple of hours to grasp (start with n automatic, the stick is a bit more practise oriented an ur out of time) and probably about 4 days to practise and be a passable driver with a learners board... when it comes to driving, we al start somewhere this can be a start for u. the whole ordeal should end in a weeks time.

when u become speed racer by this time next week, ull have a sense of accomplishment which will drive u to do the next, apply for a graduate job would be mostly online considering the recent covid evolutions, and simultaneously looking for details on courses for modules would be good..
with life its all about (not to be chauvinistic ) 'Cometh the hour, cometh the man' sort of thing, motivation finds u on days u wake up u enroll to drive school or borrow a 4 wheel from a friend and have at it.. u learn... someday u find the motivation - make a plan, enroll/borrow and learn, thing is the pushing urself to do the first one is the hardest part.. the rest falls like dominoes.. try and get the drive thing sorted, ull have much more clarity on the graduate job and how much driving time u r willing to put in, as for now u don't really have the whole driving experience yet (chances r u might hate it and just shift closer to work ) anyways, since its on top of ur list, go for it, ASAP... rest will fall into place, if not, we can always talk about the interviews/modules... by what i read above, ur pretty confident with both, so u have it pretty much under controll... hope it helps..
GO SPEED GO..!!! Cheers..
Last edited by Nawaz_101; 6 months ago
indialily
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have a blog that covers a lot of topics you might find useful - how I got from uni to working, work experience, UCAS, interning, recruitment...indialilyblogs.com
Most recently I spoke to people about the move from student life to full-time work: https://www.indialilyblogs.com/post/...o-working-life
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by indialily)
In an ideal world, you finish uni and start working. That’s what I always thought growing up. We had it drilled into us that uni equalled a good job. I was also meant to think that uni was your golden ticket to get that job – well *SPOILER ALERT* it doesn’t work like that.
You realise you then proceed to give examples (all the examples other than yourself) where thats exactly what happened?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (68)
30.49%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (27)
12.11%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.52%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.83%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
26.91%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed