Do Foundation Year courses always ask for interviews?

Watch
thelittleowlet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've applied for biomedical electronic engineering with a foundation year, and I've always read there 'may' be an interview.
Is there any clarification on how they decide? Is it a usual occurrence or not so much?
I was also wondering if there would be allowances made in an interview setting due to an anxiety disorder?
Thank you
honeymoontea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thelittleowlet)
I've applied for biomedical electronic engineering with a foundation year, and I've always read there 'may' be an interview.
Is there any clarification on how they decide? Is it a usual occurrence or not so much?
I was also wondering if there would be allowances made in an interview setting due to an anxiety disorder?
Thank you
although I'm applying for a different subject, this is a good question if someone answers
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If it's Southampton, the interview could well be optional.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thelittleowlet)
Thank you
Hi thelittleowlet

Interviews at Southampton tend to be to help the student decide whether Southampton is right for them, rather than being about assessing the student. I went to a 'interview' (however usually called a visit day) before I started studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Southampton and the day involved tours of the university as well as a chance to speak to current students and find out more about the university. It also involved a brief 'chat with an academic' which involved an academic at the university asking me questions about my personal statement as well the opportunity for me to ask them questions about the university.
If you're concerned about an interview due to anxiety I'd recommend emailing or speaking to the admissions team in order to discuss what allowances they can make for you.
You can email Southampton admissions at this address: [email protected] uk
or you can call them on: +44 (0)23 8059 2969
I'd also be happy to answer any questions about the course if you want more help deciding where to study!
Abi (3rd year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student)
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 1 month ago
thelittleowlet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi thelittleowlet

Interviews at Southampton tend to be to help the student decide whether Southampton is right for them, rather than being about assessing the student. I went to a 'interview' (however usually called a visit day) before I started studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Southampton and the day involved tours of the university as well as a chance to speak to current students and find out more about the university. It also involved a brief 'chat with an academic' which involved an academic at the university asking me questions about my personal statement as well the opportunity for me to ask them questions about the university.
If you're concerned about an interview due to anxiety I'd recommend emailing or speaking to the admissions team in order to discuss what allowances they can make for you.
You can email Southampton admissions at this address: [email protected] uk
or you can call them on: +44 (0)23 8059 2969
I'd also be happy to answer any questions about the course if you want more help deciding where to study!
Abi (3rd year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student)
Thank you so much for your reply! That's really helpful
Steve H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I've applied for Computer Science with a foundation year at Southampton. I also have generalised anxiety disorder. Hopefully, I can allay some of your worries.

Recalling what one of the course tutors said during a virtual open day talk last year, the interview will likely be conducted online due to Covid (this may or may not be worse for you; I personally prefer the idea.) and is pretty informal. I remember he said that you would talk about the results of your maths test that is sent out via email and go over any areas you might have struggled with. Dr Mills was super chill and enjoyable to talk to, so assuming he also conducts the interviews, you shouldn't have anything to worry about (though I understand how it feels like there's always something to worry about!).
thelittleowlet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Steve H)
Hi, I've applied for Computer Science with a foundation year at Southampton. I also have generalised anxiety disorder. Hopefully, I can allay some of your worries.

Recalling what one of the course tutors said during a virtual open day talk last year, the interview will likely be conducted online due to Covid (this may or may not be worse for you; I personally prefer the idea.) and is pretty informal. I remember he said that you would talk about the results of your maths test that is sent out via email and go over any areas you might have struggled with. Dr Mills was super chill and enjoyable to talk to, so assuming he also conducts the interviews, you shouldn't have anything to worry about (though I understand how it feels like there's always something to worry about!).
Hi! Thanks this has been useful - I sent in my maths test a couple of days ago and yeah .. i probably will still be worrying up until the day of. Thank you though, it's good to hear the professor was chill!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.05%
Virtual campus tours/open days (148)
24.42%
Live streaming events (51)
8.42%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.08%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.27%
An in-person event when available (138)
22.77%