The Student Room Group

Do people clean their tongues?

I was today years old when i found out that you are meant to brush your tongue as well when you brush your teeth. Has everyone else been doing this? My tongue had always been a white ish colour. And I thought that was normal. But i decided to look it up today, and apparently it is not. And i cleaned it and it turned a lighter shade of pink!! Why did no one tell me this!! Surely its basic hygiene! It could explain why my breath gets bad sometimes!! Thank god i’ve never kissed anyone!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure how you were never told this tbh. Thank goodness you know now
Of course, no one wants that nasty morning breath 🤢
I don’t even know how to respond to this.
Honestly? No. I do it occasionally, but not on a regular basis. I can't say it makes much difference to how my breath smells. I do use mouthwash though, so that probably helps.
Yea this why most toothbrushes have those little ridges/bumps on the top of the head.
Reply 6
I only found out this was something people did when my doctor was explaining how to take a medication I was on ( :facepalm: ). Definitely helps with bad breath.
Original post by StriderHort
Yea this why most toothbrushes have those little ridges/bumps on the top of the head.

yeah but what about the electrical toothbrish homies?

Those ridges don't exactly clean it well though.
Yeah, I think it's not considered proper brushing if you don't brush your tongue. Bacteria do not accumulate just on or between your teeth.
Another massive crime is the fact that not enough people floss daily - it's just as crucial as brushing your teeth/tongue!

Oh is that what you're meant to use? I just use the bristley side...
Original post by royalty1702
yeah but what about the electrical toothbrish homies?

What about them? My last elec one had them.
Original post by Anonymous
Those ridges don't exactly clean it well though.

Likely depends on the brand *shrug* I'd generally use the rubbery bit to scrape then finish with the normal brush.
What about them? My last elec one had them.

yeah but it is not ideal with elec.
I am mortified that I didn’t know this
Brush tongue with & brush until it’s bright pink.

Brush teeth, up, underneath, the back tooth.

Floss your teeth. Use mouthwash. Then you’re set to go homie
Original post by royalty1702
yeah but it is not ideal with elec.

Switch it off then? What do you want from me? :tongue:
Reply 17
Damn I feel educated
Original post by artful_lounger
Oh is that what you're meant to use? I just use the bristley side...

So do I, don’t worry it’s fine.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Brush tongue with & brush until it’s bright pink.

Brush teeth, up, underneath, the back tooth.

Floss your teeth. Use mouthwash. Then you’re set to go homie

I’m with you all the way up to mouthwash.
People, do not use mouthwash straight after brushing. You should wait at least 30 minutes after brushing to use mouthwash (or any liquid ideally).
Omg, you people.
I brush (teeth and tongue), floss, and use mouthwash every time I brush my teeth.
Don't you ever wake up with a gross taste in your mouth, OP? You brush your tongue to get rid of it and help your breath smell good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending