n_vmx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
In September-October my teacher briefly covered Macbeth for english literature without reading it *properly and was done within around 10-15 lessons. The thing is I don’t understand Macbeth at all.

Do I need to know the whole play and read it very thoroughly? or do I just need to know what happens and just know key quotes? If anyone can help me with any revision resources/websites/books so I can self teach Macbeth please help me out I’m really lost rn 😂😭😅
Last edited by n_vmx; 7 months ago
xocean23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’m not doing gcse anymore but i got a grade 9 in english lit so i hope this helps. If u don’t remember the play then i highly recommend going through it again, and instead of reading it passively, highlight key quotes and colour code them with the themes/ ideas and annotate. The CGP text books are good for this because they already have a lot of the quotes highlighted out for you (i’m talking about the CGP text books with the script). After, make a word document, 1 or 2 pages per scene and use the best quotes you can get from the scene- the ones rich in language/ ideas to get from. It’s good to pick out some of ur own quotes too rather than using common ones. Make your own ideas from a quote and link it to other concepts/ideas or think of a different perspective to the quote. List the quotes down on the word document and leave big gaps between them for space to jot down detailed annotations. You can also do this with flashcards but this just worked for me, because the main thing that made me better was doing more practice questions. Take the characters and themes and make a detailed summary sheet of each one, but write it and lay it out like an actual essay plan, using quotes, themes, ideas and explaining them. this way it’s more practical to use for revising and taking ideas off from. Lastly, do practice questions- a lot. You can’t go far without doing them because it’s the only way to spot out what ur doing wrong and how to improve next time. There are only so much questions the exam board can use and a lot of them are similar, so it’s good to have your own exemplar essays to build from. Make sure u get ur teacher to mark it. Hope this helps

some resources
-CGP textbooks (with the full play/script)
-Mr Bruff (youtube)
-Mindmaps/ summary sheets on pinterest helped me to get ideas, but this shouldn’t be relied on as you also need to have ur own unique ideas too, and be able to explain it in a conceptual way
-past paper questions from the exam board
Last edited by xocean23; 7 months ago
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Sparknotes is good for translating it into ‘simple’ English alongside the actual text (so you can get the gist of it)
Mr Salles English and Mr Bruff are both amazing on youtube , I believe they both cover Macbeth

If you’re doing you exams this summer, haven’t they made some sort of provision due to covid that you don’t have to do all the texts you would normally? Perhaps it’s worth checking with your school if you’re actually doing Macbeth in your exam anymore
honeymoontea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I remember not understanding Macbeth at all for a term in year 11 when we studied it don’t worry

The way I got to understand it and the plot was by downloading this audiobook from audible that read it and analyses it deeply, I bought the book of Macbeth and read along it and also annotated things I found useful or important which I could use for essays in future
I found it so interesting in the end and i was able to get a 8 for English lit in the end

I can link the audiobook it if it’s helpful to you
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by honeymoontea)
I remember not understanding Macbeth at all for a term in year 11 when we studied it don’t worry

The way I got to understand it and the plot was by downloading this audiobook from audible that read it and analyses it deeply, I bought the book of Macbeth and read along it and also annotated things I found useful or important which I could use for essays in future
I found it so interesting in the end and i was able to get a 8 for English lit in the end

I can link the audiobook it if it’s helpful to you
This was it
I hope it helps in some wayName:  779E38A3-D0B9-4910-AA10-C890FFDAC06C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  20.2 KB
n_vmx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you so much guys 🙏🏽
honeymoontea
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Also idk if anyone else has said but genius (yes the website for song lyrics usually) has acts of Macbeth on it too with translations
Also quite helpful 👍🏼
Panjsuce
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Mr Salles
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads