The Student Room Group

Referencing and Bibliography/ formative assignment attachment

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well doing lockdown. I have a question as it has been stressing me out. I am in final year of university studying BA Education. I have been struggling though as I am struggling with depression (on and off since I was 18, now I am 28). However, I have been really trying hard. I am working part time as well in retail. Due to taking antidepressants and also working, studying has been very hard for me but I do try my best that I can. Today I had an assignment due. I submitted it after a lot of stress however, I am worried that some references I included in my bibliography, were not included in the essay at all because 5 references which I put into the bibliography were copied and pasted from my formative assignment. Also some references which I included in the bibliography were not even used in my essay (I did this accidentally as before I read a paper, I export it to refworks). I did all this silliness due to time constraints. I finally handed it in at 15.59 (1 minute before 4pm) which was the time of submission. Also, the Tutor had given us a format to follow. Example, contents, name, title, bibliography, formative assignment. I tried to insert the formative assignment, but it didn't work! Would these issues cause me to fail that assignment? I am really worried because I do try hard despite how weak I have been feeling, and I don't wish to do so bad in my studies. I am so sorry about the long message.
Original post by tk1992*
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well doing lockdown. I have a question as it has been stressing me out. I am in final year of university studying BA Education. I have been struggling though as I am struggling with depression (on and off since I was 18, now I am 28). However, I have been really trying hard. I am working part time as well in retail. Due to taking antidepressants and also working, studying has been very hard for me but I do try my best that I can. Today I had an assignment due. I submitted it after a lot of stress however, I am worried that some references I included in my bibliography, were not included in the essay at all because 5 references which I put into the bibliography were copied and pasted from my formative assignment. Also some references which I included in the bibliography were not even used in my essay (I did this accidentally as before I read a paper, I export it to refworks). I did all this silliness due to time constraints. I finally handed it in at 15.59 (1 minute before 4pm) which was the time of submission. Also, the Tutor had given us a format to follow. Example, contents, name, title, bibliography, formative assignment. I tried to insert the formative assignment, but it didn't work! Would these issues cause me to fail that assignment? I am really worried because I do try hard despite how weak I have been feeling, and I don't wish to do so bad in my studies. I am so sorry about the long message.

Don't sweat it. Referencing is worth about 10% of the overall essay mark and most tutors don't check the references page at the back of the essay anyway. Your mark will be affected by weak critical analysis and discussion more than weak referencing. As long as you have not plagiarised you should be ok. Enjoy the winter break.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. Also, you know in terms of the formative assignment that was supposed to be attached with the assignment, do you know if that would make me fail? By the way, this formative assignment is one that was already presented, it's just that I couldn't attach it into my work as the formative assignment was on powerpoint and it wouldn't allow me to insert it into word document.
Original post by tk1992*
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it. Also, you know in terms of the formative assignment that was supposed to be attached with the assignment, do you know if that would make me fail? By the way, this formative assignment is one that was already presented, it's just that I couldn't attach it into my work as the formative assignment was on powerpoint and it wouldn't allow me to insert it into word document.

This is a bit tricky. If your formative assignment was officially marked then you are copying and pasting your own work so - strictly speaking - you are plagiarising yourself.
If you were not asked to include your formative assignment then why did you? You may need to meet with the tutor to explain yourself.
Reply 4
Hey! Thank you so much for your reply again. I hope you are doing well. I have spoken to my lecturer and He said that he has taken note of it and not to worry. I have also explained my mitigating circumstances to them aswell. This was a formative assignment that wasn't formally marked, it was just to help us prepare for the actual assignment so I am just hoping that it will all be okay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending