The Student Room Group

Why do people troll?

I am new on this app, so please bear with me,

Earlier on I posted a story about me when I slept with an old classmate, I was hoping that people would reply sharing their own similar experience, I got some positive responses but I also had people replying with dumb comments such as “you’re bad in bed”, “you have a small ***”, “you’re lying” ( I wasn’t lying lol).

If you are one of those people who routinely comment negative stuff on other peoples posts, I honestly have a serious question for you, what do you get out of it? please let me know, I am genuinely curious, why don’t you use that time and do something positive with your life.

What I also find interesting, is some older accounts, will reply with comments similar to, “you’re new here therefore what are you saying is invalid” or “what I say holds more weight because I’ve been on here longer than you” like I don’t get it, if you are one of those people who regularly comments stuff like that please explain to me your thought process behind that, I mean at one point you were new too, we all have to start from somewhere, it doesn’t mean what I say is any less valid or true than what you say, it just reeks of snobbery to me.
Reply 1
Those werent trolls, just dumb comments. Your thread didnt seem to have a purpose as threads on this site generally ask questions which yours didnt. You are a new member and your thread was, in the nicest way possible, odd, and you looked like a troll originally.

As a general answer to the title- entertainment, attention seeking, wanting to watch a platform burn, etc. Depends on the troll.
Reply 2
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Those werent trolls, just dumb comments. Your thread didnt seem to have a purpose as threads on this site generally ask questions which yours didnt. You are a new member and your thread was, in the nicest way possible, odd, and you looked like a troll originally.

As a general answer to the title- entertainment, attention seeking, wanting to watch a platform burn, etc. Depends on the troll.

I didn’t know having to ask a comment was mandatory on this app, I was just venting, I don’t know how I could look like a troll when I didn’t comment on anyone’s post saying anything nasty or dumb, I stated many times that I wanted others to share similar experiences they had.
Reply 3
Original post by Gunner04
I didn’t know having to ask a comment was mandatory on this app, I was just venting, I don’t know how I could look like a troll when I didn’t comment on anyone’s post saying anything nasty or dumb, I stated many times that I wanted others to share similar experiences they had.

Which is why I said originally you came across as such.
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Which is why I said originally you came across as such.

By doing what? Sharing a story that happened to me ?
Trolls jumped on my posts with all sorts of ignorant replies, calling me a lier saying all sorts of ****, I don’t see how I can be the one considered a troll, it’s literally impossible
Well for the first bit - Immaturity basically, the majority of the trolling is done by a small number of very bored children, teens and a few creepy fetish adults. It's the kids that never worked out that playing 'ring the bell and run' is subject to diminishing returns.

As to the second bit, It sucks but the truth is this place has a HUGE trolling problem, brand new and anon users are viewed with suspicion as it's so engrained.

Trolling doesn't have just mean leaving mean comments, lying/timewasting/controversial topics ect can all count. it doesn't take much for it to look suss.
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
Well for the first bit - Immaturity basically, the majority of the trolling is done by a small number of very bored children, teens and a few creepy fetish adults. It's the kids that never worked out that playing 'ring the bell and run' is subject to diminishing returns.

As to the second bit, It sucks but the truth is this place has a HUGE trolling problem, brand new and anon users are viewed with suspicion as it's so engrained.

Trolling doesn't have just mean leaving mean comments, lying/timewasting/controversial topics ect can all count. it doesn't take much for it to look suss.

I wonder, why are people so desperate for attention,

I am new because I made my account literally the other day
I enjoy trolling, it is my passion, I eat live and breathe trolling. I think I am a good troll as well. I have done it since I was about 18 years old, started off on here with a "hit a girl" thread and I actually got people believe it. My inspiration to start trolling came from a YouTuber called niko omilana (aka ringside or reng sayeed)
(edited 3 years ago)
I was the tsr troll king back in the day. then I got busy
just ignore them
Reply 10
Original post by Gunner04
What I also find interesting, is some older accounts, will reply with comments similar to, “you’re new here therefore what are you saying is invalid” or “what I say holds more weight because I’ve been on here longer than you” like I don’t get it, if you are one of those people who regularly comments stuff like that please explain to me your thought process behind that, I mean at one point you were new too, we all have to start from somewhere, it doesn’t mean what I say is any less valid or true than what you say, it just reeks of snobbery to me.

most of the trolling comes from new people or people hiding behind anonymous.

if people don't know you, suspicions are higher, and rightly so.

also if a person has been here longer you get to know their character a bit more and can better ascertain whether they are making things up.
If you are anonymous or new, people know nothing about you so are more suspicious.
Original post by Proxenus
I was the tsr troll king back in the day. then I got busy

I'm a troll king, I've been banned on hundreds if not thousands of accounts yet I'm still fooling people left right and centre
You'd have to read the masterfully woven parable of Tails Gets Trolled to fund the answer to that question.

In all seriousness though, when you combine anonymity, little to no repercussions, and a host of people all existing under those conditions in the same place, then it's easy to understand why trolls do what they do.
If those conditions existed in any real life scenario, then real life trolls would likely exist too. They do already but not the extent as online of course.
People troll because they are bored, or think it’s a laugh probably.

I don’t know.
Please report any comments that go against the community guidelines :smile: This includes spamming, being hostile or non constructive, hate speech etc. The mod team in the report queue will then take the appropriate action against that poster (even anons - they aren't invisible to the community staff) and their offending post.
If you have concerns about a particular using repeatedly breaking the rules or harassing you then you can raise it in Ask the community staff

It is best to ignore and simply report trolls since they thrive on attention, creating threads such as this only perpetuates the issue which is why i am going to close it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending