The Student Room Group

have i made a bad decision?

i have applied to london met to study music and media management, and was actually getting quite excited until i discovered this site, n found people saying its **** basically! it cant be that bad can it?! (a bit of reassurance is required!) there arent that many music management courses as it is n i found the idea of living in london very appealing, but now am beginning to worry that i have made the wrong choice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which other universities did you apply to?
Reply 2
i only applied to one other place n that was only to make up numbers, i applied 2 city college in manchester
Reply 3
im getting soooo stressed about this!
When people say it's ****, they don't mean the city or the course you're interested in. It's just that metropolitan and polytechnic unis don't have a very good reputation, and London met probably has the worst. If you're interested in a competitve career where employers will look at your uni, you'd be better off going somewhere a bit more well-respected, but otherwise, don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 5
kellywood_5
When people say it's ****, they don't mean the city or the course you're interested in. It's just that metropolitan and polytechnic unis don't have a very good reputation, and London met probably has the worst. If you're interested in a competitve career where employers will look at your uni, you'd be better off going somewhere a bit more well-respected, but otherwise, don't worry about it :smile:

yeah i c what you mean, and i would definately do that if there were more places that did the course i wana do but theres hardly newhere!
Reply 6
The uni is quite crap but provides a reasonable higher education courses though. People still get employed and earn good money. If you want a good reputation of a uni, don't go to london met. Choose other uni's.
Reply 7
trev
The uni is quite crap but provides a reasonable higher education courses though. People still get employed and earn good money. If you want a good reputation of a uni, don't go to london met. Choose other uni's.

well its a bit late now!
Reply 8
Why? You accepted them as your firm?
Reply 9
no havent even heard from them yet! but like i said i only applied 2 one other place n i dont really wanna go there, i might just stick with it, i've always wanted 2 live in london so that might override the crapness!
Reply 10
you still got time to make more choices
Reply 11
Suit yourself. :smile:

By the way, what are your other 2 places that you don't wanna go?
Reply 12
theres just one other place its city college manchester, there arent many places that do the course i want so i was quite limited for choice, i think there was one in buckinghamshire n sumwhere else n that was it but i didnt apply for those for a certain reason (cant remember what it was now tho)
Reply 13
durham colleeg do your course i think

Not much you can do then, if you got your heart set on that course and only these unis do it, then you haven't really got much choice unless you look for an alternative course that's similiar.

I don't want to go to demontford for partly same reason, main reason is accomandation problems, then the poor uni rep and loads of other bits; research, teaching e.t.c
Reply 14
Carrit
theres just one other place its city college manchester, there arent many places that do the course i want so i was quite limited for choice, i think there was one in buckinghamshire n sumwhere else n that was it but i didnt apply for those for a certain reason (cant remember what it was now tho)

Are you sure there aren't many places that do the course you want to do? You may want to do some more research if you haven't already because some universities call their courses different names, whilst the content of the course is quite similar or almost identical. Just something you may wish to look into. :smile:
Reply 15
yeah i think durham was the other one i saw. i have spent hours trawling through university websites n ucas etc getting myself all stressed i may well av missed some but i get worked up n worried very easily so i'll prob end up getting myself all in a flap ifi start looking all over again
London Met isn't regarded as a particularly good uni, but the type of course you are intending on studying is not available at many uni's so as you said, you don't have much choice. If the course looks well taught and structured, then I don't see why you should turn down the offer. However, if it doesn't, I recommend looking at a slightly different course somewhere else - I know that Oxford Brookes offers a wide range of media-related joint honours courses.
Reply 17
ilovemonkeys
London Met isn't regarded as a particularly good uni, but the type of course you are intending on studying is not available at many uni's so as you said, you don't have much choice. If the course looks well taught and structured, then I don't see why you should turn down the offer. However, if it doesn't, I recommend looking at a slightly different course somewhere else - I know that Oxford Brookes offers a wide range of media-related joint honours courses.

thanks i'll have a look at that!
Reply 18
London Met has to be better than City College otherwise London Met must be shockingly awful.

Lets put it this way City College cannot even teach A levels properly (they have some of the worst results in the country) I would dread to think how bad it is for HE.
Reply 19
amazingtrade
London Met has to be better than City College otherwise London Met must be shockingly awful.

Lets put it this way City College cannot even teach A levels properly (they have some of the worst results in the country) I would dread to think how bad it is for HE.

That doesn't mean London Met is anywhere near good though. When I went to their open day most of the staff seemed stuck for an answer when I was asking questions.

Latest