Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
In my notes, it says that graphite has a high melting point cuz the covalent bonds need a lot of energy to break. but i thought its the VDW forces that are btwn the layers which would be broken?

could someone clarify? thankss
TurtlePowerXII
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m pretty sure the covalent bonds are stronger than the vdw forces in graphite.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurtlePowerXII)
I’m pretty sure the covalent bonds are stronger than the vdw forces in graphite.
Yhhh exactly
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
In my notes, it says that graphite has a high melting point cuz the covalent bonds need a lot of energy to break. but i thought its the VDW forces that are btwn the layers which would be broken?

could someone clarify? thankss
Consider a metal, which consist of layers of metal atoms which can slide, hence why a lot of metals are soft and why adding a few larger atoms (to make an alloy) disrupts the layer structure making them harder. Metals have strong metallic bonds which need to be overcome before melting.

Compare to graphite...
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Covalent bonds between carbon atoms. VDW are between different molecules.
TurtlePowerXII
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
Yhhh exactly
So wouldn’t that mean more energy would be needed to break the covalent bonds? Also that the vdw forces would be broken as well once the covalent bonds have been broken?
DrdBsClassroom
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, you're right that there are vdW between layers, and these are weak and easy to overcome without much energy.
HOWEVER, we're not talking simple molecules here.
In order for graphite to be a liquid, the different bits of the structure must be able to move independently of one another (which for a simple molecule like ammonia can be achieved without needing to break the covalent bonds). In graphite every layer contains thousands of atoms.
So yes, the covalent bonds do need to break, which is why the melting point is so high.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrdBsClassroom)
Yes, you're right that there are vdW between layers, and these are weak and easy to overcome without much energy.
HOWEVER, we're not talking simple molecules here.
In order for graphite to be a liquid, the different bits of the structure must be able to move independently of one another (which for a simple molecule like ammonia can be achieved without needing to break the covalent bonds). In graphite every layer contains thousands of atoms.
So yes, the covalent bonds do need to break, which is why the melting point is so high.
thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.02%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.9%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.25%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.02%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.81%

Watched Threads