The Student Room Group

AS Level Options - help!

Hi all. I could use some help. A sixth form I’m considering going to wants its students to do 3 A levels and 1 AS level. Shouldn’t be a problem, as I know the subjects I most want to do are Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics. Trouble is, they don’t count Maths and Further Maths as separate options, so I’d actually end up having to do those 4 subjects as A levels and take a 5th subject as my AS.

The 2 subjects I’ve narrowed it down to are English Literature and Physics. I’m better at English and I enjoy it more too, but I’m worried that doing English at AS would make the already high workload of doing 4 A levels too much, as there would be a lot of reading to do and essays to write, whereas Physics would fit in better with my other subjects and would overlap a bit with the maths subjects, which in theory should make it easier to do 5 subjects in Year 12. Also apparently there’s more maths involved in the A level or AS level course for Physics than there is at GCSE, which would be good for me as I enjoy maths.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows anything about how the workloads for either subject at AS compare that would be a huge help - the exam boards for both subjects at this school is OCR.

Many thanks :smile:
hiya. i don’t do either subject. i know people find both english and physics very difficult. i think english is one of those that if you really like it, it will be really enjoyable but if you aren’t fully committed it could be a chore because there’s something like 8 books to study. i know there’s a few coursework pieces involved too which would be something different i guess. at my school, people find physics nearly impossible ngl, but again if you’re good at it then you will be ok. your options are all difficult so good luck !!
Reply 2
Original post by Superqueen123xxx
hiya. i don’t do either subject. i know people find both english and physics very difficult. i think english is one of those that if you really like it, it will be really enjoyable but if you aren’t fully committed it could be a chore because there’s something like 8 books to study. i know there’s a few coursework pieces involved too which would be something different i guess. at my school, people find physics nearly impossible ngl, but again if you’re good at it then you will be ok. your options are all difficult so good luck !!

Ok, thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest