The Student Room Group

VISA to Fly to France to finish my Erasmus Year?

Hello,

I am currently a 3rd year in the middle of my Erasmus year in France from a UK university. I am looking for anyone else in the same position as me and struggling to find information about what is required.

Do I require a VISA to take my flight back to France on 3rd January? I will be staying more than 90 days but have had residence since before the transition period ended (I have had residence there since September and will have it until June). There is so much information out there yet it just sends me in circles with no concrete answer!! I couldn't be flying back at a worse time, with a worse UK Covid variant and Brexit both basically peaking this week lol

Let me know if you're in a similar situation
Thanks
Original post by 2pool
Hello,

I am currently a 3rd year in the middle of my Erasmus year in France from a UK university. I am looking for anyone else in the same position as me and struggling to find information about what is required.

Do I require a VISA to take my flight back to France on 3rd January? I will be staying more than 90 days but have had residence since before the transition period ended (I have had residence there since September and will have it until June). There is so much information out there yet it just sends me in circles with no concrete answer!! I couldn't be flying back at a worse time, with a worse UK Covid variant and Brexit both basically peaking this week lol

Thanks

Best to contact the embassy first.

More than 90 days.
From what I guess If visiting any EU countries from the UK for more than 90 days total within a 12 month period will require a visa for that country. It will probably require visiting the respective embassy in London for an interview, same if you want to visit any other countries, you will need to declare any criminal convictions etc.
Contact the embassy first to see if your required to make an appointment.

If you want to work during you stay you will need a work permit and that will most probably only be available if the job requires a skill that is in short supply. For instance it’s unlikely you will be entitled to a work permit for unskilled work eg Bar work, retail etc.
You will be forbidden by law from working if you don’t have a work permit.

You might have to prove you have sufficient funds to cover your visit, proof of where you will be staying and proof of your course acceptance.

90 days or less

At present as of Jan 1st 2021 if you’re visiting for less than 90 days then you will not need a visa but some kind of Visa waiver will probably be required in the future similar to the US ESTA. Most probably you will be able to do it online and will not need to visit the embassy. It’s possible in future that you may have to show proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay and where you will be staying.

Again you must NOT work at any time unless you have a work permit!

Only the respective embassy can answer your question correctly.

You’re just lucky to be one of the last generation of students entitled to Erasmus.

If you want my opinion I think Brexit is bloody madness :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 2pool
Hello,

Thanks

Not in a similar situation, sorry. But what applies to European students in the UK should also apply to British students in Europe because of the laws of reciprocity that were part of the Brexit deal.
Looking it up, this is what comes up:
erasmus.JPG

So you should be able to continue your 2020-21 academic year till June without the need for a visa.
I would also get in touch with your home uni in the UK and your host uni in Europe to double check any documents you may need from them to show if required, although they may not be able to respond on bank holidays.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Best to contact the embassy first.

More than 90 days.
From what I guess If visiting any EU countries from the UK for more than 90 days total within a 12 month period will require a visa for that country. It will probably require visiting the respective embassy in London for an interview, same if you want to visit any other countries, you will need to declare any criminal convictions etc.
Contact the embassy first to see if your required to make an appointment.

If you want to work during you stay you will need a work permit and that will most probably only be available if the job requires a skill that is in short supply. For instance it’s unlikely you will be entitled to a work permit for unskilled work eg Bar work, retail etc.
You will be forbidden by law from working if you don’t have a work permit.

You might have to prove you have sufficient funds to cover your visit, proof of where you will be staying and proof of your course acceptance.

90 days or less

At present as of Jan 1st 2021 if you’re visiting for less than 90 days then you will not need a visa but some kind of Visa waiver will probably be required in the future similar to the US ESTA. Most probably you will be able to do it online and will not need to visit the embassy. It’s possible in future that you may have to show proof that you have sufficient funds to cover your stay and where you will be staying.

Again you must NOT work at any time unless you have a work permit!

Only the respective embassy can answer your question correctly.

You’re just lucky to be one of the last generation of students entitled to Erasmus.

If you want my opinion I think Brexit is bloody madness :frown:

Great thanks for this response, I’ll be there more than 90 days so p 99% sure I’ll need to get a visa, but now the question is at what point of the application process I’m able to travel as I originally had a flight booked in 5 days but it’s v unlikely I’ll take it. Going to ring the embassy tomorrow to make an apoointment, hoping that after that (even if it’s still being processed) I can travel to France.

Thanks for the help, and yes equally as pissed off about brexit and the amount of problems (along with covid) its causing me

Quick Reply

Latest