The Student Room Group

I got 224/240 on a Foundation Tier Maths Mock. How should I improve my mark?

I got 75/80 on Paper 1. I got 74/80 on paper 2. Lastly I got 75/80 on paper 3. So overall I got 224/240 which is 93.33333%. How can I improve my mark and get at least 230+ or higher. I found the 3 papers so easy and wasn't too difficult. I did make a few silly mistakes and lost about 3-4 marks so I need to work on that. I'll send you photos of my paper.
You did rlly well, I don't think you need to worry but if you rlly want to aim for 230+, here are some tips

I get the impression that you have a good understanding of the topics in the paper as 224 is still a very good mark. So I think mybe you need exam technique rather than help with topics

When you are in an exam or doing a timed practice paper at home its rlly important to slow down and read the questions properly. I think under timed conditions a lot of ppl try to finish the questions as fast as possible but it only leads to more mistakes. Maths is a subject in which you can easily finish with 30 mins left.

Also if you don't understand a question it's important not to panic. After having a go at it if I don't understand I continue and answer questions I can, then at the end I use the time left to answer the questions I didn't understand. This rlly helped me in my mocks as many ppl found calculator hard in my school and ended up messing up the exam.

I'm not sure how much time you get for a foundaton exam but I think its similar to the higher. In that case I think these tips should help
Original post by Frozetman
You did rlly well, I don't think you need to worry but if you rlly want to aim for 230+, here are some tips

I get the impression that you have a good understanding of the topics in the paper as 224 is still a very good mark. So I think mybe you need exam technique rather than help with topics

When you are in an exam or doing a timed practice paper at home its rlly important to slow down and read the questions properly. I think under timed conditions a lot of ppl try to finish the questions as fast as possible but it only leads to more mistakes. Maths is a subject in which you can easily finish with 30 mins left.

Also if you don't understand a question it's important not to panic. After having a go at it if I don't understand I continue and answer questions I can, then at the end I use the time left to answer the questions I didn't understand. This rlly helped me in my mocks as many ppl found calculator hard in my school and ended up messing up the exam.

I'm not sure how much time you get for a foundaton exam but I think its similar to the higher. In that case I think these tips should help

Thanks a lot. Your a great person. Also I added my time together for all the 3 papers. So I don't always have to check for 1h 30 minutes etc. I just added all the time for the 3 papers and did it in timed conditions like you said. Also what did you get overall out of 240 marks.
Original post by Frozetman

It's fine without the photos. I can't really take a screenshot of my papers on my HP laptop so I just typed my marks in so you can see.
Original post by Dinda Academy
Thanks a lot. Your a great person. Also I added my time together for all the 3 papers. So I don't always have to check for 1h 30 minutes etc. I just added all the time for the 3 papers and did it in timed conditions like you said. Also what did you get overall out of 240 marks.

My school only did 2 papers I got 148/160
What year are you in?
You could try out for the Higher Tier:smile:
Look over the topics you struggled on and work on them / focus on those areas.
Stop bothering with foundation and go up to higher. Evidently you're too good for foundation - this mark is well in excess of a 5. Why aim for a higher 5 on foundation when you could be getting 6s/7s or even higher on higher?
You could probably do decently at higher tier!
Original post by laurawatt

Original post by _gcx
Stop bothering with foundation and go up to higher. Evidently you're too good for foundation - this mark is well in excess of a 5. Why aim for a higher 5 on foundation when you could be getting 6s/7s or even higher on higher?

Foundation is too easy for me. I could have got 232/240 (96.66666666667%) but made a few silly mistakes which I lost around 8-9 marks from. Foundation level maths is like doing maths in primary school no offense to the people doing the foundation paper. I just find the foundation paper too easy for my level.
Original post by laurawatt

I could get 176/240 (73%) overall :smile::smile::smile: or maybe 200/240 (83%)
I could get 176/240 (73%) overall :smile::smile::smile: or maybe 200/240 (83%)

Maybe! You could have a go at a higher tier paper and see how you do, and maybe you can speak to your teacher when you’re back at school to see if you can swap?
Reply 12
that's a great mark, well done! i do genuinely think that you could do really well at higher tier! :smile: however i'm not sure if it would be possible to swap over now just because of all of the extra content in higher and (i'm assuming you're in year 11 here haha) and how we don't have ages until the exams? that's something you could ask your teacher when we go back as i'm not too sure myself. even if you cannot swap, i think it could really help you to try out some higher papers, just as they will give you a wider overview of maths and it could help you to get an even better score on the foundation paper (although you don't have much room for improvement with that score!:h: to improve your score, you could just practice more papers so that you don't make any mistakes - which i myself make a lot of hahah. wishing you all the best!
Original post by iz.05
that's a great mark, well done! i do genuinely think that you could do really well at higher tier! :smile: however i'm not sure if it would be possible to swap over now just because of all of the extra content in higher and (i'm assuming you're in year 11 here haha) and how we don't have ages until the exams? that's something you could ask your teacher when we go back as i'm not too sure myself. even if you cannot swap, i think it could really help you to try out some higher papers, just as they will give you a wider overview of maths and it could help you to get an even better score on the foundation paper (although you don't have much room for improvement with that score!:h: to improve your score, you could just practice more papers so that you don't make any mistakes - which i myself make a lot of hahah. wishing you all the best!

Thanks what would you get out of 240 if you did the foundation papers 1, 2 and 3 with an overall score and grade?
Thanks what would you get out of 240 if you did the foundation papers 1, 2 and 3 with an overall score and grade?

grade 5 (high c ) is the highest you can get on foundation

Quick Reply

Latest