The Student Room Group

chemistry help

Hey,
I'm revising for my mocks at the moment. I just wanted to ask if anyone could help me with the below:

When a question asks "Draw the structure of [hydrocarbon]" does it mean something like:
CH3C(CH3)2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
or
branchedalkane.png
or using "sticks" to represent a bond between each atom (i.e. displayed formula)?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, if the question doesn’t specify I think you can draw it any way! I tend to draw the displayed formula, but I suppose whatever is easier for you should work. (This is from my knowledge of aqa questions btw, I may not be right!!)
Reply 2
Original post by SapphirePhoenix1
Hey,
I'm revising for my mocks at the moment. I just wanted to ask if anyone could help me with the below:

When a question asks "Draw the structure of [hydrocarbon]" does it mean something like:
CH3C(CH3)2CH(CH3)CH2CH3
or
branchedalkane.png
or using "sticks" to represent a bond between each atom (i.e. displayed formula)?

Thanks in advance :smile:

OCR A (and B, I think) don't mind how you show it, unless they specify skeletal/displayed etc.

They allow a mix and match (like your example).
Original post by RoseVet
Hi, if the question doesn’t specify I think you can draw it any way! I tend to draw the displayed formula, but I suppose whatever is easier for you should work. (This is from my knowledge of aqa questions btw, I may not be right!!)

Ah ok. I do AQA. I normally do displayed formula but in Year 12 my chem teacher told us off for not just using the structural formula. I can't remember if that was just for mechanisms or not, so I just wanted to double check!

Thanks!
Original post by Pigster
OCR A (and B, I think) don't mind how you show it, unless they specify skeletal/displayed etc.

They allow a mix and match (like your example).

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest