Marissa01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey guys! I wanted to ask about the process of getting into a journalism career?

I know you don't have to do a journalism degree, and i would really like to do one in English. But would you advise me to do English in general, or English literature, or will it even matter?

Also, when applying, what sort of work experience would be best? since i would be applying for an English degree, and journalism comes after, would it be best for me to avoid journalism related work experiences, and focus on things like publishing houses?

and work experience for english?? what are they looking for?

thanks in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you know you want to be a journalist then you really would be better off doing an accredited journalism degree.

The industry is not the same as it was 20-30 years ago when newspapers would fund bright English graduates through a journalism diploma post grad (and the post grad route is expensive if you don't have an employer to fund it - so it's only really an option for the wealthy nowadays). There's very little funding or opportunities available anymore for on the job training - if you're not qualified and accredited with a portfolio of published work then you'll struggle to find work.
Marissa01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you know you want to be a journalist then you really would be better off doing an accredited journalism degree.

The industry is not the same as it was 20-30 years ago when newspapers would fund bright English graduates through a journalism diploma post grad (and the post grad route is expensive if you don't have an employer to fund it - so it's only really an option for the wealthy nowadays). There's very little funding or opportunities available anymore for on the job training - if you're not qualified and accredited with a portfolio of published work then you'll struggle to find work.
thank you for this! It really helped!!
indialily
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Marissa01)
Hey guys! I wanted to ask about the process of getting into a journalism career?

I know you don't have to do a journalism degree, and i would really like to do one in English. But would you advise me to do English in general, or English literature, or will it even matter?

Also, when applying, what sort of work experience would be best? since i would be applying for an English degree, and journalism comes after, would it be best for me to avoid journalism related work experiences, and focus on things like publishing houses?

and work experience for english?? what are they looking for?

thanks in advance
I did English (graduating July 2019) now I'm a journalist. I write a blog which covers a lot of journalism studies topics.
Feel free to ask me any questions.
Last edited by 04MR17; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads