The Student Room Group

A-level art essay help !!!!

How do I even write a 2500-3000 word essay about 3 portrait artists.... idk how to structure it or do anything and the OCR*exam board website is no help.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Milomeep
How do I even write a 2500-3000 word essay about 3 portrait artists.... idk how to structure it or do anything and the exam board website is no help.

Is this the personal study element of the Edexcel course, or a different exam board?
Hello. Logically this is what to do.

Research three portrait artists online firstly. Make up some brief notes on each one. Use that as fodder for your essay. Aim to write a full paragraph per artist for your artistic essay. You could even include some appropriate bits of information on their personal lives if this is relevant to the task.
Remember to fully summarise all the information which you can find online in your own words as far as possible. List all your online reference sources at the end of your coursework essay as well. I would go out on a limb to say that at least three paragraphs is recommended in order to try to make up the bulk of the entire essay.
One more useful tip when typing up your coursework essay on a laptop make sure to only use black font as it is easier to read. Good luck. Always include the full names of artists at the top of each paragraph in the first line. Describe their style as accurately as far as possible too.
Refer back to your written lesson notes to help you to write the essay up. In terms of the total number of lines for each paragraph I would totally say that eight is a good number to aim for really. Avoid the delay tactics however this is easier said than done I know.
We’re starting this essay in January
And I do photography too so I also have to do it for that, I’ve chosen an interesting topic but it’s stressful thinking about it lol
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
Hello. Logically this is what to do.

Research three portrait artists online firstly. Make up some brief notes on each one. Use that as fodder for your essay. Aim to write a full paragraph per artist for your artistic essay. You could even include some appropriate bits of information on their personal lives if this is relevant to the task.
Remember to fully summarise all the information which you can find online in your own words as far as possible. List all your online reference sources at the end of your coursework essay as well. I would go out on a limb to say that at least three paragraphs is recommended in order to try to make up the bulk of the entire essay.
One more useful tip when typing up your coursework essay on a laptop make sure to only use black font as it is easier to read. Good luck. Always include the full names of artists at the top of each paragraph in the first line. Describe their style as accurately as far as possible too.
Refer back to your written lesson notes to help you to write the essay up. In terms of the total number of lines for each paragraph I would totally say that eight is a good number to aim for really. Avoid the delay tactics however this is easier said than done I know.

Thank u ☺️
Reply 5
How do I even write a 2500-3000 word essay about 3 portrait artists.... idk how to structure it or do anything and the exam board website is no help.

It’s OCR personal study 🤓 and my teachers r not very helpful
Reply 6
Original post by 2500_2
Is this the personal study element of the Edexcel course, or a different exam board?

OCR
Reply 7
OCR

these are the key bits from the specification:

- understanding of art historical movements, genres, practitioners
tell us about these artists, who they were working with, were they rebels or traditionalists, were they successful in their lifetime and who with?

- considering the way that these evolve over a period of time
did these artists change over time, either in how they created portraits, or who they worked with. If so, how did they change?

- understanding of the relationship between society and art
how did these artists make their £? Did they have patrons, were they commissioned to hire? Were they rich comparative to other craftspeople? Who are the portraits of? And did who they are influence how the painting was put together? What happened to the painting after they were made? Did they hang in private houses or in galleries in the painter's lifetime?

- analyse, discuss and interpret images
you need to pick a selection of works (1 or 2 from each artist) and describe the way they are painted, any specific ways the method of production helps illustrate the person (eg Warhol's screenpints reference newspaper reports about celebrities), any things within the paintings that help explain the portrait (what they are holding or their clothes or the background) and how they compare or contrast with each other.

- use art historical terms
research a glossary and ensure you sprinkle in these terms as you write it

Structure-wise, I'd start with a bit about each artist separately using a representative painting to illustrate each one, then compare and contrast their practice and context, using a pair/three paintings that illustrate similarity and influence. Research-wise, I'd start with their lives, pulling out pertinent facts that explain their background and with finding some key paintings that have connections between the three.
What about edexcel? Anyone got any info that’s specifically different or is all info here already

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by 2500_2
these are the key bits from the specification:

- understanding of art historical movements, genres, practitioners
tell us about these artists, who they were working with, were they rebels or traditionalists, were they successful in their lifetime and who with?

- considering the way that these evolve over a period of time
did these artists change over time, either in how they created portraits, or who they worked with. If so, how did they change?

- understanding of the relationship between society and art
how did these artists make their £? Did they have patrons, were they commissioned to hire? Were they rich comparative to other craftspeople? Who are the portraits of? And did who they are influence how the painting was put together? What happened to the painting after they were made? Did they hang in private houses or in galleries in the painter's lifetime?

- analyse, discuss and interpret images
you need to pick a selection of works (1 or 2 from each artist) and describe the way they are painted, any specific ways the method of production helps illustrate the person (eg Warhol's screenpints reference newspaper reports about celebrities), any things within the paintings that help explain the portrait (what they are holding or their clothes or the background) and how they compare or contrast with each other.

- use art historical terms
research a glossary and ensure you sprinkle in these terms as you write it

Structure-wise, I'd start with a bit about each artist separately using a representative painting to illustrate each one, then compare and contrast their practice and context, using a pair/three paintings that illustrate similarity and influence. Research-wise, I'd start with their lives, pulling out pertinent facts that explain their background and with finding some key paintings that have connections between the three.

Tysm 😆
How do I even write a 2500-3000 word essay about 3 portrait artists.... idk how to structure it or do anything and the OCR*exam board website is no help.

did you get help?
Reply 11
I’m starting my introduction now lol we will see how this goes 😒
Thing is i dont know how to start my introduction 🥺
Reply 13
Original post by honeymoontea
Thing is i dont know how to start my introduction 🥺

Same.. the teachers r not very helpful tbh it all feels very last minute and disorganised
Same.. the teachers r not very helpful tbh it all feels very last minute and disorganised

It does
It feels like they really should have started talking us through the process of art essays from year 12
Or even before that maybe with a small intro with art gcse... idk
Reply 15

I understand how you feel. I can help. Let me send you a pm on the same
Reply 16
I am doing OCR too - now I don't know if were different variations of the course or something, but the one I'm doing the essay can be from 1000-3000 words. I don't know if this is any help, but 2500 sounds high to me - my teacher warns against waffling on about nothing. I'm doing portraiture, but I'm looking at it through the lens of death, with a focus on colour, form, and subject
Our teachers making us write the body of the essay now, are we meant to be comparing artwork? I’m a bit unsure still or at I also talking about the type of work I’ve been doing through alevel for art?
Reply 18
We were told to do PEEL paragraphs and I’m writing the third body currently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending