The Student Room Group

should i go univeristy?

Literally torn on what to do i dont really wanna move out but seems good unis are really far away and deadline is 2 weeks away but i wanna do something higher education?? help :frown:
Original post by therandomess
Literally torn on what to do i dont really wanna move out but seems good unis are really far away and deadline is 2 weeks away but i wanna do something higher education?? help :frown:

Depending on the course you do, it can really help you get a job. Took me months to find a good paying job after I graduated, and I shudder to consider how impossible it would have been without my degree or work experience.
The first question you need to answer yourself is what kind of career are you looking forward to getting? If is medicine, you will need to go to university. It's true that university is only worth it depending on the course you are going to study. There are some courses that are good, but will not make a difference if you have a diploma or not in that area. There are courses that can be thought of for a month or even less and you can start working straight away. But some degrees are helpful to get an actual job. I hope you will find this helpful!
Original post by SolidSlish
Depending on the course you do, it can really help you get a job. Took me months to find a good paying job after I graduated, and I shudder to consider how impossible it would have been without my degree or work experience.

what course did you do may i ask? im worried ill do a degree and then be stuck afterwards and not be able find a job because i hear so many stories of that happening but i wanna do something that will at least make me decent money without being depressed doing it
Original post by VIKITOÖ
The first question you need to answer yourself is what kind of career are you looking forward to getting? If is medicine, you will need to go to university. It's true that university is only worth it depending on the course you are going to study. There are some courses that are good, but will not make a difference if you have a diploma or not in that area. There are courses that can be thought of for a month or even less and you can start working straight away. But some degrees are helpful to get an actual job. I hope you will find this helpful!

not medicine i havent got the right a-levels plus im way to squeamish, i was considering social sciences but dropped that cause graduate prospects didnt seem too good and i want good paying job at least idk i was considering business or accountancy but pretty much purely based on the fact pay seems to be good after graduating... im sooooo torn

It depends on a number of factors:
-Your ambition and what career you want to be involved in as not all jobs require a university degree
-Your passion for the subject as you don’t want to go to uni just because everyone else is, you need something really motivating
-Considering alternative options if you don’t want to go to university - a degree apprenticeship perhaps? Where you do a uni degree part time and work in the job of your dreams? Or maybe consider a standard apprenticeship where you get trained and you work in a job.
I think there is a test on prospectors that could help you pick your career based on the options you give. No point in applying if you are unsure about the course you are going to do. Do you see yourself working at the office? Can you present in front of people, talk with clients, write emails all day and do reports within a deadline? Can you see yourself in such a way? Let me tell you something, don't do what most people do - going to university because the course will give you high bucks. I am not saying is not important, bucks are bucks but are you able to meet the university expectations? Would you be able to get a good grade if you go to university? After that what kind of job you will look for and in which sector? Are you going to enjoy what you are doing?

No worries if you need more time. Most people take a gap year. But trust me during this gap year don't just sit at home and do nothing. Try to get experience at something if you can or travel. Idk fam good luck
Original post by VIKITOÖ
I think there is a test on prospectors that could help you pick your career based on the options you give. No point in applying if you are unsure about the course you are going to do. Do you see yourself working at the office? Can you present in front of people, talk with clients, write emails all day and do reports within a deadline? Can you see yourself in such a way? Let me tell you something, don't do what most people do - going to university because the course will give you high bucks. I am not saying is not important, bucks are bucks but are you able to meet the university expectations? Would you be able to get a good grade if you go to university? After that what kind of job you will look for and in which sector? Are you going to enjoy what you are doing?

No worries if you need more time. Most people take a gap year. But trust me during this gap year don't just sit at home and do nothing. Try to get experience at something if you can or travel. Idk fam good luck

i am on a gap year rn which doesnt help cause their isnt much to with the virus and all but cause i am already on one dont really wanna be taking another, everyone suggests uni cause academically i am okay so not too worried about meeting expectations but i dont know what i wanna do in the future i just dont wanna be doing a degree that will not benefit when leaving uni idk life sucks
I think maybe an apprenticeship would be good for you then. You won't lose, you will gain experience a bit of money and training. Just figure out what kind of apprenticeship you could do at this time. I know is hard because of Covid so good luck
not medicine i havent got the right a-levels plus im way to squeamish, i was considering social sciences but dropped that cause graduate prospects didnt seem too good and i want good paying job at least idk i was considering business or accountancy but pretty much purely based on the fact pay seems to be good after graduating... im sooooo torn

If you want to go into business or accounting then a apprenticeship would be really good, as it allows you to directly work in a company.
Whereas with a degree in these subjects it can be quite difficult to get into a good company after graduating due to the competition.

One of my cousins did an apprenticeship for accounting and she's now working in pwc!
(edited 3 years ago)
You could try a degree apprenticeship, there are loads in business and finance.

Quick Reply