What are oxbridge looking for?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do medicine and want to get into these universities. I’m in year 12 now, what are the requirements in terms of grades. Also what extra curricular activities are needed to give me a higher chance of getting accepted. I know you need to do lots of work experience
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I want to do medicine and want to get into these universities. I’m in year 12 now, what are the requirements in terms of grades. Also what extra curricular activities are needed to give me a higher chance of getting accepted. I know you need to do lots of work experience
You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge as an undergrad.

Don't aim for Oxbridge med for the wrong reasons... why do you want to study there? Remember, rankings, prestige and Russell Group do not matter for medicine, at all.

The requirements are here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...hools-2021.pdf

You'd pretty much be required to have across-the-board A*s (Grade 8 / 9s) for Oxford.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
1. Have a strong academic record
2. Have good experiences e.g. volunteering, supporting in a hospital etc.
3. Read around your subject and widely.
4. Find a niche part of medicine that interests you and you hope to explore further.

Good luck.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
BMAT and interview are the most important factors, and GCSEs for Oxford.

Work experience is important, but probably moreso at other med schools. Only about a third of applicants get any medicine offers at all of course, and most of those are AAA+ students.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Oxford helpfully gives you a hell of a lot of data on what numbers you need to get in: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics
Cambridge mainly uses A levels (A*A*A+) and interviews around 80% of applicants.

The main thing you can do as said is have an amazing BMAT and the best A level predicted grades you can. Work experience is actually not going to be massively important compared to any other medical school - the interviews are science-y.

Why do you want to go, though?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You also more or less are required to be taking 3 STEM subjects for Cambridge medicine, so if you are only taking 2 STEM subjects plus a non-STEM A-level you can rule that medical school out (fortunately no other medical schools care what your third subject is). For Oxford medicine GCSEs and your BMAT score are extremely important, as they are the only things considered when determining who to invite to interview.

Assuming you are invited to interview, the interview will probably be the most important factor. My understanding is the medicine interviews at Oxbridge are more academically/scientifically focused, although there is not a huge amount of info I've seen about them compared to other subjects. Bear in mind the point of the interview at Oxford and Cambridge generally is to determine if you are "teachable" in the tutorial/supervision format, since that is one of the major vehicles of learning at those universities.

As above though for medicine there is no intrinsic superiority of either Oxford or Cambridge. They both have different courses, somewhat from each other and significantly from other medical schools, so if you did want to apply there you should really be doing so on that basis rather than any illusions of Oxford or Cambridge conferring any benefit whatsoever in the medical profession in general. Depending on how you learn best, other medical schools may be a better fit for you specifically. Equally, depending on your academic profile when it comes to applying, other medical schools might be more likely prospects for admission (in which case you are much better off focusing on those you are most likely to be successful in getting and then excelling in an interview at). Your primary goal in my opinion, if you are applying to medicine, should be to get into any medical school so you can then enter the medical profession, not to get into X medical school because "it's X"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (14)
17.95%
The paper was reasonable (27)
34.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
35.9%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
11.54%

Watched Threads