The Student Room Group

What a levels to take?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To become an electrician would A levels or apprenticeship be better
Original post by Yus745
To become an electrician would A levels or apprenticeship be better

an electrician or electrical engineer, they are very different.
Also maths a level isn't too bad, apart from the last chapter on integration ( i have finished the course in year 12)
Further maths on the other hand....
Reply 42
Original post by Destinexx
an electrician or electrical engineer, they are very different.
Also maths a level isn't too bad, apart from the last chapter on integration ( i have finished the course in year 12)
Further maths on the other hand....

Yes ik they are very different and good to hear maths its not that bad,if i wanted to become an electrician what should i do,shud i take A levels or apprenticeship
Original post by Yus745
That route wud put me on civil engineerin but now ive thought about becoming electrician how wud i go about doin that[/m

I’ve just checked at one uni for an engineering and electric degree and maths is a requirement so I think to be safe you should pick maths and physics so you can go into what you want to do
Original post by Yus745
Never knew that,i really wanna do maths but literally everyone i speak to says its really hard,wud u say its still worth doing

It isn't worth doing maths if you're not genuinely passionate, I don't mean you "don't mind it" you have to have a genuine interest within the subject, just because you get a good grade at GCSE doesn't equate to a good A-level grade. If you want to get into economics/engineering/physics you'll need maths. If you want to go down the healthcare route, Chem and Bio works just fine. So if you end up taking Chem and Bio take an easier 3rd subject, I take Chem, Bio and Geography and having Geography makes it a bit more manageable. For law, you don't need to take law a-level (so many people think that you do) however, having at least 1 essay subject is what uni's like to see such as History or English but look at University entry requirements as they'll differ. If you want to go into Chemistry be aware that top, top uni's want maths.
Original post by Destinexx
I do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry (will go into physical chemistry/physics).
Maths and physics are essential - I am afraid you just have to do them for an engineering/physics degree.
What are your GCSE grades for those two subjects?

Hi there

I'm in my 3rd year studying civil engineering.

Engineering is very maths heavy so maths a levels are essential.
At Surrey, all of the engineering courses require you to be studying a level maths. Physics is useful to have but only a requirement depending on the type of engineering you want to go into. For example -
Mechanical engineering requires you to have both a level maths and physics. See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/mechanical-engineering#entry

Civil engineering asks for A level Maths and one of Biology, Chemistry, Design & Technology, Further Mathematics, ICT, Physics, Computer Science, Geography. See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/civil-engineering#entry

Electrical Engineering asks for A Level Maths and one of Physics, Electronics, Computing, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Design and Technology (Systems and Control). See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/electrical-and-electronic-engineering#entry

If you have any questions relating to studying engineering especially civil engineering, feel free to ask :smile:

Anna
Civil engineering
Reply 46
Original post by Tashax2
Original post by Yus745
That route wud put me on civil engineerin but now ive thought about becoming electrician how wud i go about doin that[/m

I’ve just checked at one uni for an engineering and electric degree and maths is a requirement so I think to be safe you should pick maths and physics so you can go into what you want to do

Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there

I'm in my 3rd year studying civil engineering.

Engineering is very maths heavy so maths a levels are essential.
At Surrey, all of the engineering courses require you to be studying a level maths. Physics is useful to have but only a requirement depending on the type of engineering you want to go into. For example -
Mechanical engineering requires you to have both a level maths and physics. See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/mechanical-engineering#entry

Civil engineering asks for A level Maths and one of Biology, Chemistry, Design & Technology, Further Mathematics, ICT, Physics, Computer Science, Geography. See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/civil-engineering#entry

Electrical Engineering asks for A Level Maths and one of Physics, Electronics, Computing, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Design and Technology (Systems and Control). See link below:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/electrical-and-electronic-engineering#entry

If you have any questions relating to studying engineering especially civil engineering, feel free to ask :smile:

Anna
Civil engineering

Say i was to go onto civil engineering would physics be necessary,also say i wanted to be come an electrician how would i go about doing that
Reply 47
Original post by Yus745
Say i was to go onto civil engineering would physics be necessary,also say i wanted to be come an electrician how would i go about doing that

You need an apprenticeship to become an electrician. Same as trades like plumbers and carpenters.
Reply 48
Original post by nutz99
You need an apprenticeship to become an electrician. Same as trades like plumbers and carpenters.

So i definitely shud get an apprenticeship theres no point doing A levels also wud i then go on to uni? Also how to get an apprenticeship
Original post by Yus745
So i definitely shud get an apprenticeship theres no point doing A levels also wud i then go on to uni? Also how to get an apprenticeship

You seem very undecided you should talk to a careers advisor
Reply 50
Original post by Tashax2
You seem very undecided you should talk to a careers advisor

I deffo want to become an electrician i jus dont know how to go about doing that
Reply 51
Original post by Yus745
I deffo want to become an electrician i jus dont know how to go about doing that

You need to find yourself an apprenticeship. There are links to apprenticeship searches and information on how it works on the UCAS site and on the gov.uk site.
Reply 52
Original post by nutz99
You need to find yourself an apprenticeship. There are links to apprenticeship searches and information on how it works on the UCAS site and on the gov.uk site.

Thats the thing school system dont giv enuf support covid made it worse,to get into a trade job deffo need appreticeship they so hard to find barely any around,no other way to get into trade job such as electrician,then i gon hav to get into engineerin thru A level
Reply 53
Also can anyone assist me thru UCAS website for uni entry reqs only amount of ucas points come up,why dont any of them say which a levels specifically required or wud it mean u jus need to hit that many point thru any a levels which dusnt sound right
Reply 54
Hi can anyone please help im stressing so much,i want to become an electrician i cant seem to find any apprenticeships and i have to apply for A levels within 2 weeks,if i dont go to become electrician i gon hav to take engineering
Original post by Yus745
Hi can anyone please help im stressing so much,i want to become an electrician i cant seem to find any apprenticeships and i have to apply for A levels within 2 weeks,if i dont go to become electrician i gon hav to take engineering

Stay calm, you don't have to sort your whole life plan out within two weeks at age 15/16! If I were you I'd apply for A levels anyway that would allow you to go into engineering (likely maths, physics, and then another one that you think you could do well in and enjoy), so you keep that option open if you decide you'd like to try A levels. Then keep an eye on https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch over the coming months to see if anything suitable comes up for September (you'll be looking at either intermediate (equivalent to GCSE level) or advanced (equivalent to A level) apprenticeships).
Reply 56
Original post by Interea
It's A levels, they're all "hard" compared to GCSEs, and it takes a while to adapt to them. Personally maths was my easiest A level, and I'd say if you're working at at least a 7 at GCSE and are willing to put the effort in you'd be fine.

When did you do your A levels
Original post by Yus745
When did you do your A levels

2019 :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Interea
Stay calm, you don't have to sort your whole life plan out within two weeks at age 15/16! If I were you I'd apply for A levels anyway that would allow you to go into engineering (likely maths, physics, and then another one that you think you could do well in and enjoy), so you keep that option open if you decide you'd like to try A levels. Then keep an eye on https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch over the coming months to see if anything suitable comes up for September (you'll be looking at either intermediate (equivalent to GCSE level) or advanced (equivalent to A level) apprenticeships).

I might aswell apply for maths physics and somethin else i enjoy jus to get on that engineering route then,with every hardship comes ease,and myt aswell keep an eye out for apprenticeships too,our whole lifes we get told we can be what we want,study hard and the world is your oyster,and then when we in yr11 and at school leaving age no support for us at all,
Original post by Yus745
I might aswell apply for maths physics and somethin else i enjoy jus to get on that engineering route then,with every hardship comes ease,and myt aswell keep an eye out for apprenticeships too,our whole lifes we get told we can be what we want,study hard and the world is your oyster,and then when we in yr11 and at school leaving age no support for us at all,

There's always been a fundamental flaw in a system that expects you to set yourself on a life path at 15, but it sounds like keeping several options open for now in the rough area you're looking at will be your best bet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest