The Student Room Group

What shall I do with my car when I’m at uni?

I don’t know what to do with it. I’m 100% not taking it with me as my insurance is around £8k I don’t even need to take it as I will not need it. Do I sell it or should I leave it on the drive uninsured for a year and insure it my second year of uni when I’m not living in halls? Can a car sit for that long without it having problems? I will likely insure it in my second year of uni as I don’t want to loose my no claims which expires after 2 years of not having a policy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Belledior
I don’t know what to do with it. I’m 100% not taking it with me as my insurance is around £8k I don’t even need to take it as I will not need it. Do I sell it or should I leave it on the drive uninsured for a year and insure it my second year of uni when I’m not living in halls? Can a car sit for that long without it having problems? I will likely insure it in my second year of uni as I don’t want to loose my no claims which expires after 2 years of not having a policy

Won't you need it when you are at home?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79

Not really, all I use it for now is to get to and from sixthform so obviously I won’t need it for that next year as I’ll have left.
Reply 3

I’m sure I could just Uber if I needed to go anywhere else I’m sure it would be cheaper
I’m sure I could just Uber if I needed to go anywhere else I’m sure it would be cheaper

It won't do it any good sat for a year not being driven - could your family use it [if they are named drivers]?

Why on earth does it cost 8K to insure?

how did you pass so quickly?
Reply 6
It won't do it any good sat for a year not being driven - could your family use it [if they are named drivers]?

Why on earth does it cost 8K to insure?

My dad has already said he doesn’t want to drive it so there’s no point in keeping it, my brother has his own car and my mum doesn’t drive.

Because I’m 18. It’s a BMW series 6
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
how did you pass so quickly?

What so you mean? I passed when I was 17
My dad has already said he doesn’t want to drive it so there’s no point in keeping it, my brother has his own car and my mum doesn’t drive.

Sell it then - and get named as a driver on your Dad's insurance. You won't want a BMW in the area students usually live in - it'll get nicked.

Sell it. It cannot sit for that long without use - the battery would be the first thing to go, and there are a lot of other potential issues after that. Leaving uninsured is a dangerous option - it could get stolen, or catch fire, and take the house with it.

Some companies may allow NCB from longer ago, although I don't have any recent UK experience. When you're older, your insurance will be less anyway.
What so you mean? I passed when I was 17

that's pretty quick. Did you start learning as soon as you turned 17?

That's a really nice car. Quite rare to see a school student driving one of those!
Jut my exp, but if you let a car sit on a drive for a year

A - it's gubbed

B - People will start to ask about it with vary degrees of insistence and creepyness.

Trickle charge it
Reply 14
that's pretty quick. Did you start learning as soon as you turned 17?

My dad started to teach me at 16 but not that often. I did 2 hour lessons 5 days a week for 4 weeks. I passed a month after my 17th birthday
My dad started to teach me at 16 but not that often. I did 2 hour lessons 5 days a week for 4 weeks. I passed a month after my 17th birthday

Yeah that sounds a bit intense but it meant you finished it all very quickly. It's going to be over a year at least from time of my 1st lesson to my test and I'm learning on an auto.
Reply 16
That's a really nice car. Quite rare to see a school student driving one of those!

It was actually bought for my mum but she failed her test and had given up driving so my dad gave it to me. If you fail your test 16 times I don’t think you should be on the road. I’d most certainly never step foot in the car with her ahah
Reply 17
Yeah that sounds a bit intense but it meant you finished it all very quickly. It's going to be over a year at least from time of my 1st lesson to my test and I'm learning on an auto.

To be fair tho COVID can’t be helping the time frame with the back log of tests
It was actually bought for my mum but she failed her test and had given up driving so my dad gave it to me. If you fail your test 16 times I don’t think you should be on the road. I’d most certainly never step foot in the car with her ahah

16 times! That's the most I've ever heard. At least it seems like the rest of the family can drive
To be fair tho COVID can’t be helping the time frame with the back log of tests

100% I would've like to have done my test by now but covid makes it damn near impossible finding a test. Plus I'm a 1st year uni student so I am only available during the holidays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending