How to gain weight? / Am I too Skinny?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Okay i’m an 18 year older female and weigh about 40kg whilst being 5’2. I’ve been underweight my whole life with my highest weight only being 46 kg.

Whenever I go to the doctors they always point out my weight but never give me a direct answer on wether my weight is abnormal, but my friends tell me i’m not that skinny since i’m quite short i’m proportionated well.

I’m iron deficient but other than that i’m in pretty good health after my doctor did some blood work.

So in short my question is: Am I *too* skinny and if I am how would I gain weight? I’ve tried everything from protein supplements to eating crap but nothing seems to work.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
You might just have a rlly fast metabolism, I understand what you mean tho as I'm 16, 5'5 and weigh 42kg and have never been able to gain weight either. Remember everyones different and as long as you're eating enough and your doctor isnt too concerned then I wouldnt worry about it
Belledior
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m 5,2 as well and am 7s 5lbs (47kg) on the NHS BMI calculator it says I’m a healthy weight but at the lower end. You are around a stone under weight (6.3kg) I wouldn’t say you are too skinny though. Maybe try and get back up to 46kg what you used to be
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
Yes, this height and weight gives a BMI classed as underweight. The healthy range for you would be 45.6kg to 61.6kg.
This isn't too bad, and it's certainly better than being overweight. However, being underweight can still cause health issues. You may wish to get back to around 45kg+.
Gaining weight is very simple: if your body receives more calories (from food) than in burns (from exercise and bodily functioning), then you will gain weight. There is nothing else to the equation, you simply have to intake more calories than you burn.
To do this, use an online calculator to find your basal metabolic rate. This will tell you how many calories per day you need to remain at the same weight, given your level of exercise.
Then, all you have to do to ensure you gain weight is to eat more calories than this calculated daily requirement. Eating around 300 calories excess per day would be a good target to gain weight at a healthy rate. So for instance if the calculator said you need 1,500 calories per day, you should aim to eat 1,800. But don't worry if you don't hit this goal every day.
Hope that helps
LordFarquaad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You're 18 y.o. and your BMI is around 16. That's medically underweight. I'd talk to a nutritionist about gaining weight. You were at a perfectly healthy weight at 46kg and seeing as you reached that weight, you can probably do it again. But do not stress about it so long as your health is not in danger.
Belledior
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay i’m an 18 year older female and weigh about 40kg whilst being 5’2. I’ve been underweight my whole life with my highest weight only being 46 kg.

Whenever I go to the doctors they always point out my weight but never give me a direct answer on wether my weight is abnormal, but my friends tell me i’m not that skinny since i’m quite short i’m proportionated well.

I’m iron deficient but other than that i’m in pretty good health after my doctor did some blood work.

So in short my question is: Am I *too* skinny and if I am how would I gain weight? I’ve tried everything from protein supplements to eating crap but nothing seems to work.
At 5,2 you should be between 7s3lbs and 9s10lbs. Count your calories and eat high carb foods. I recommend an app called ‘life dum’ to track your food. Increase them to around 2000 or 2500 a day
Belledior
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LordFarquaad)
You're 18 y.o. and your BMI is around 16. That's medically underweight. I'd talk to a nutritionist about gaining weight. You were at a perfectly healthy weight at 46kg and seeing as you reached that weight, you can probably do it again. But do not stress about it so long as your health is not in danger.
Off topic but I love your user name and pic ahaha
LordFarquaad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Belledior)
Off topic but I love your user name and pic ahaha
Thank you very much, you made me feel slightly better about it hahah.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
Yes, this height and weight gives a BMI classed as underweight. The healthy range for you would be 45.6kg to 61.6kg.
This isn't too bad, and it's certainly better than being overweight. However, being underweight can still cause health issues. You may wish to get back to around 45kg+.
Gaining weight is very simple: if your body receives more calories (from food) than in burns (from exercise and bodily functioning), then you will gain weight. There is nothing else to the equation, you simply have to intake more calories than you burn.
To do this, use an online calculator to find your basal metabolic rate. This will tell you how many calories per day you need to remain at the same weight, given your level of exercise.
Then, all you have to do to ensure you gain weight is to eat more calories than this calculated daily requirement. Eating around 300 calories excess per day would be a good target to gain weight at a healthy rate. So for instance if the calculator said you need 1,500 calories per day, you should aim to eat 1,800. But don't worry if you don't hit this goal every day.
Hope that helps
Small correction: you should use a caloric needs calculator and not a basal metabolic rate calculator. Here is one: https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
Belledior
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LordFarquaad)
Thank you very much, you made me feel slightly better about it hahah.
Own it. Lord Farquad is sexy af aha
Anonymous #4
Report 5 months ago

better off with a pic
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You might just have a rlly fast metabolism, I understand what you mean tho as I'm 16, 5'5 and weigh 42kg and have never been able to gain weight either. Remember everyones different and as long as you're eating enough and your doctor isnt too concerned then I wouldnt worry about it
Fast metabolism = Excuse for not eating enough. The difference between a slow and fast metabolism is only 200-300kcals.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You are underweight.
You should work on your diet for the iron too. You should eat a balanced diet.
I'm underweight too. I'm 5'4 and used to be 40kg, now I'm around 45-46kg. Did a good job on my diet and exercises while the lock down... Spending more time home is doing great for me actually. Work on a balanced diet and do some sports (jogging, running, some weights...) you can do it at home with stuff you have even without gym. Do it gradually, don't push yourself too much.
Last edited by Kathy89; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads