What did you learn in school today? Watch

This discussion is closed.
User 1951
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Remember this?

WHAT DID YOU LEARN IN SCHOOL TODAY ?

What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine ?

What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?

1 I learned that Washington never told a lie,

I learned that soldiers seldom die,

I learned that everybody`s free,

and that`s what the teacher said to me.

That`s what I learned in school today, that`s what I learned in school.

2. I learned that policemen are my friends,

I learned that justice never ends,

I learned that murderers die for their crimes,

even if we make a mistake sometimes.

3. I learned that government must be strong,

it`s always right and never wrong,

our leaders are the finest men,

and we elect them again and again and again and again.

4. I learned that war is not so bad,

I learned about the great ones we have had,

we fought in Germany and in France,

and some day am I to get my chance.

(Pete Seeger)

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
Clark
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
User 1951 wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Remember this?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
-snip-
[q1]> That`s what I learned in school today, that`s what I learned in school.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> (Pete Seeger)[/q1]

I think it's Tom Paxton's song, though I'm sure Pete Seeger sang it once or twice. Interesting to
think of someone like Tom Paxton or Pete Seeger singing in Greenwich Village these days. Part of the
*axis of evil*? How the US political conversation has changed over the last thirty years or so.

More TP? Remember

Lyndon Johnson told the nation: 'There will be no escalation - I am trying everyone to please.
Though it isn't really war, We're sending fifty thousand more To help save Vietnam From
Vietnamese ...

With appropriate changes (Afghanistan? Iraq?), could anyone envisage singing something similar in
New York in 2002? I wonder.

Bob
User 1951
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:22:06 +0200, Clark <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>With appropriate changes (Afghanistan? Iraq?), could anyone envisage singing something similar in[/q1]
[q1]>New York in 2002? I wonder.[/q1]

Peace protestors are a minority now. I am disinclined to think that makes them wrong.

**** http://user1951.tripod.com ****
Information about films,
Jack London, Lara Croft
Shakespeare and ICT program of study
last updated 30 05 2002
Clark
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
User 1951 wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:22:06 +0200, Clark <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >With appropriate changes (Afghanistan? Iraq?), could anyone envisage singing something similar in[/q2]
[q2]> >New York in 2002? I wonder.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Peace protestors are a minority now. I am disinclined to think that makes them wrong.[/q1]

Well, peace protestors were in a minority when Paxton wrote 'Lyndon Johnson' and 'Daily News' ...

('J Edgar Hoover is the man of the hour ... All he needs is just a little more power. How do I know?
- I read it in the Daily News.')

They were right then, as history shows. That doesn't mean they're right again, of course. But
tolerance of dissent remains important for open societies, I'm sure you'll agree. How tolerant of
dissent is the US now, compared with, say, forty years ago? Less, it seems. Which is kinda worrying.

Bob
`P
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
"*Ace*" <[email protected]'t.btinterne t.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hi SLieber24,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The first of many ad-hoc amendments which riddle your fundamentally flawed constitution.[/q1]

ROFLMAO

There are a lot of flaws in all societies but the American Constitution is not something I would
call a flaw. It is a masterpiece in controlling *power*. Remember that it was written by some of the
best brains amongst *Englishmen* at that time. It was written to make "making laws" and control of
people hard, and to delegate power to individuals not an elite. And I particularly admire the way
that Americans pledge their allegiance to their constitution and for it stands.

But then again I suppose you quite like the idea that our consitution is a "living person", who
doesn't exercise her "embodied" role of controlling the politicians that play fast and loose with
"unwritten" rules whenever they feel like it but just signs her name under some obscure medieval
"French" phrases or says "passed" in Privy Council when ammendments to Acts of Parliament are
requested by ministers. If you ever read any "Act of P." properly it is absolutely horrifying that
it is written with so many clauses that allow a minister to vary an Act of
P. upon his/her personal whim, with complete disregard to what was promised in Parliament when the
Act was just a Bill being debated.

Isn't it wonderful having an "unwritten" constitution. Particulary if you have a silver
greyhound badge.

--
`p
*Ace*
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi `p,

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:22:33 GMT, in uk.education.teachers `p put fingers to keyboard and tapped
away writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected]>

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "*Ace*" <[email protected]'t.btinterne t.com> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Hi SLieber24,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The first of many ad-hoc amendments which riddle your fundamentally flawed constitution.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> ROFLMAO[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> There are a lot of flaws in all societies but the American Constitution is not something I would[/q1]
[q1]> call a flaw. It is a masterpiece in controlling *power*. Remember that it was written by some of[/q1]
[q1]> the best brains amongst *Englishmen*[/q1]

ROFLMFAOEH

How can you call such traitors *Englishmen*?

[q1]> at that time. It was written to make "making laws" and control of people hard, and to delegate[/q1]
[q1]> power to individuals not an elite. And I particularly admire the way that Americans pledge their[/q1]
[q1]> allegiance to their constitution and for it stands.[/q1]

It's idol worship, pure and simple. Images of those school kids, indoctrinated from an early age,
being forced to worship a flag daily makes me sick.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> But then again I suppose you quite like the idea that our consitution is a "living person", who[/q1]
[q1]> doesn't exercise her "embodied" role of controlling the politicians that play fast and loose with[/q1]
[q1]> "unwritten" rules whenever they feel like it but just signs her name under some obscure medieval[/q1]
[q1]> "French" phrases or says "passed" in Privy Council when ammendments to Acts of Parliament are[/q1]
[q1]> requested by ministers. If you ever read any "Act of P." properly it is absolutely horrifying that[/q1]
[q1]> it is written with so many clauses that allow a minister to vary an Act of[/q1]
[q1]> P. upon his/her personal whim, with complete disregard to what was promised in Parliament when the[/q1]
[q1]> Act was just a Bill being debated.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Isn't it wonderful having an "unwritten" constitution. Particulary if you have a silver[/q1]
[q1]> greyhound badge.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> `p[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Best wishes, Ace

==============================

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
full height. On, on, you noblest English.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads