The Student Room Group

Breaking news...Oxford vaccine given go ahead

It has just been announced on the radio that UK regulators have approved the use of the Oxord vaccine and several million doses are available to be sent into hospitals and care homes.

Time to celebrate, finally some good news :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It has just been announced on the radio that UK regulators have approved the use of the Oxord vaccine and several million doses are available to be sent into hospitals and care homes.

Time to celebrate, finally some good news :biggrin:

Shhh you might jinx it! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Shhh you might jinx it! :tongue:

I'm just so happy - at the risk of sounding like Boris, it's a gamechanger!
Brillo! 😁👍
Vaccines make you immune from catching and transmitting a virus. If these apparently do neither, how can anyone actually call them vaccines with a straight face? Something odd about this whole thing tbh. Someone else can have my jab, I'm not going near these things.
Reply 6
Original post by Megacent
Vaccines make you immune from catching and transmitting a virus. If these apparently do neither, how can anyone actually call them vaccines with a straight face? Something odd about this whole thing tbh. Someone else can have my jab, I'm not going near these things.

It does give you a certain level of immunity from catching the virus in the same way that the flu vaccine does. But that's ok, I'll take yours :h:
great news in general.

It does feel a bit rushed, but as long as its safe, better have people with some resistance rather than none.

As far as the articles say, this approval is for the two doses, which were 60% effective - so well bellow the other two vaccines. However there seems to be some suggestion that extending the time frame of the jabs makes it more effective, but given that this isn't published yet, its hard to think that this all hasn't been rushed through.

I don't think that the rush is a bad thing though, giving a lot of people 60% less chance of having a bad reaction to it, will go a long way to getting life back to normal as quickly as possible. Just I suspect that they will have to keep looking at it and adjusting/approving diferent doses/timeframes as they go.
Reply 8
Original post by fallen_acorns
great news in general.

It does feel a bit rushed, but as long as its safe, better have people with some resistance rather than none.

As far as the articles say, this approval is for the two doses, which were 60% effective - so well bellow the other two vaccines. However there seems to be some suggestion that extending the time frame of the jabs makes it more effective, but given that this isn't published yet, its hard to think that this all hasn't been rushed through.

I don't think that the rush is a bad thing though, giving a lot of people 60% less chance of having a bad reaction to it, will go a long way to getting life back to normal as quickly as possible. Just I suspect that they will have to keep looking at it and adjusting/approving diferent doses/timeframes as they go.

yes I agree it would have been better in an ideal world to have a bit more time to tweak the perfect dosage but the figures are so scary right now I think they are doing the right thing in getting it out asap. I would have preferred the Pfeizer one as I'm sure most people would, but it is more realistic for people to accept the Oxford one if we want to get back to a semblance of normal by the summer.
It does give you a certain level of immunity from catching the virus in the same way that the flu vaccine does. But that's ok, I'll take yours :h:

Enjoy :smile:
Reply 10
Enjoy :smile:

if we want to get back to a semblance of normal by the summer.

By which point another "mutated strain" will conveniently appear to justify another extension to the restrictions no doubt.....
Reply 12
By which point another "mutated strain" will conveniently appear to justify another extension to the restrictions no doubt.....

No I don't think so, I think the government are as keen as we are to get the restrictions lifted as the lockdowns are doing nothing for Boris's popularity, let alone cancelling Christmas.

The government could have delayed the approval of this vaccine if they wanted to but instead they are pushing full steam ahead with it, even changing the emphasis so that more people can receive the first dose.

I know there's no point arguing with conspiracy therorists as my sister in law is one and won't take any vaccine either, but I think you should let the rest of us enjoy this moment even if you don't personally want to be vaccinated.
I know there's no point arguing with conspiracy therorists as my sister in law is one and won't take any vaccine either, but I think you should let the rest of us enjoy this moment even if you don't personally want to be vaccinated.

I'm glad about the news too because it will make it harder for the government to keep extending restrictions indefinitely, although I'm sure they will find a way. I still remember "three weeks to flatten the curve" :biggrin:

They wanted more lockdowns in the new year and conveniently just before Christmas a "mutated strain" miraculously appears. Apparently they knew about it in September but stayed silent about it for 3 months and only told us now, why would you do that if it's so much of a concern? Oh let me guess, they didn't fully understand it then and needed to do further research which just conveniently happened to take them to Christmas. As for the rest of us, we had no idea about this new strain but the second it's on the news, it's everywhere apparently. Utterly transparent horse crap if you ask me, just more excuses for lockdowns that will never end.
Reply 14
I'm glad about the news too

I repeat that I know there's no point aguing with conspiracy theorists so will just take whatever positives I can from your above post :wink:
I repeat that I know there's no point aguing with conspiracy theorists

Sometimes I feel the same about people who have been taken in by the Cult of Corona. But it's nice to be nice, even if you disagree, remember I gave you my dose of vaccine :biggrin:
Reply 16
Sometimes I feel the same about people who have been taken in by the Cult of Corona. But it's nice to be nice, even if you disagree, remember I gave you my dose of vaccine :biggrin:

we are so close to agreeing on things!
Reply 17

You're an anti vaxxer? Quelle surprise. Just embrace the inevitable, we all need our 5G democratic paedophile lizard chips implanted some how, this is a perfectly good way of doing that.
I'm glad about the news too because it will make it harder for the government to keep extending restrictions indefinitely, although I'm sure they will find a way. I still remember "three weeks to flatten the curve" :biggrin:

They wanted more lockdowns in the new year and conveniently just before Christmas a "mutated strain" miraculously appears. Apparently they knew about it in September but stayed silent about it for 3 months and only told us now, why would you do that if it's so much of a concern? Oh let me guess, they didn't fully understand it then and needed to do further research which just conveniently happened to take them to Christmas. As for the rest of us, we had no idea about this new strain but the second it's on the news, it's everywhere apparently. Utterly transparent horse crap if you ask me, just more excuses for lockdowns that will never end.

*the strain appeared in data/tests from September, but wasn't uncovered until much later, and wasn't presented to the government until a short while before they announced it and took action on it.

Why do you think the government desires to bankrupt itself and make itself poorer?
This is great news. It's often mentioned that the easier logistics and lower cost make the Oxford/AZ vaccine a game changer. These undoubtedly help a lot with rollout, particularly in lower income countries; however, I think the most important benefit - at least for higher income countries - is that it adds a significant amount of doses to our arsenal. Apparently there's almost 4 million currently ready to start being rolled out, and we've got 100 million doses ordered in total, so this should help to significantly ramp up the vaccination programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending