English literature

Watch this thread
nousername01
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Should I be annotating the whole of my novels/plays or just doing key themes?
majesson
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Ideally you would annotate the whole thing as you go - then you can pull together themes from these annotations. Sometimes even if you don't have a theme or point in mind, but a line just interests you, this can work out well in terms of allowing you to make original and insightful points. Which texts?
nousername01
Rep:
(Original post by majesson)
Ideally you would annotate the whole thing as you go - then you can pull together themes from these annotations. Sometimes even if you don't have a theme or point in mind, but a line just interests you, this can work out well in terms of allowing you to make original and insightful points. Which texts?
Im doing Macbeth, an inspector calls and a Christmas carol. Ive kinda left English until last because its my weakest subject but I've made notes on all my other subjects and now I fell like I haven't got enough time. Would it be a waste of time to go though the whole play and annotate line by line? Should I find key themes and characters ect and then analyse key quotes under them themes? I already have some notes for a few themes on a Christmas carol and Macbeth.
majesson
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nousername01)
Im doing Macbeth, an inspector calls and a Christmas carol. Ive kinda left English until last because its my weakest subject but I've made notes on all my other subjects and now I fell like I haven't got enough time. Would it be a waste of time to go though the whole play and annotate line by line? Should I find key themes and characters ect and then analyse key quotes under them themes? I already have some notes for a few themes on a Christmas carol and Macbeth.
Ah, is this GCSE? If so, you don't need anything super detailed - quotations and analysis for a few broad themes should be fine, provided you can use them for lots of different questions (and have something useful to say about them in different ways if you're looking for an 8/9 - otherwise more simple analysis should be just fine!). If it is your worst subject, bearing in mind it's content heavy too, you really should have started earlier, but if you have notes for every other subject then I think your best plan of action would be to spend more time on English now.
nousername01
Rep:
(Original post by majesson)
Ah, is this GCSE? If so, you don't need anything super detailed - quotations and analysis for a few broad themes should be fine, provided you can use them for lots of different questions (and have something useful to say about them in different ways if you're looking for an 8/9 - otherwise more simple analysis should be just fine!). If it is your worst subject, bearing in mind it's content heavy too, you really should have started earlier, but if you have notes for every other subject then I think your best plan of action would be to spend more time on English now.
Yeah, regret it now. Thought I could get all my other subjects out of the way then focus in on English but now I see that was a mistake. Thanks for the help though. So I shouldn't annotate line by line and just do analysis for themes and characters?
qmnesia_
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nousername01)
Yeah, regret it now. Thought I could get all my other subjects out of the way then focus in on English but now I see that was a mistake. Thanks for the help though. So I shouldn't annotate line by line and just do analysis for themes and characters?
yes. memorise 3 quotes from each main characters and themes and learn context and ofcourse expand your punctuation and vocabulary - revising that could easily secure an 7/8/9.
understand the plot of Macbeth!! i struggle in english the most and im doing inspector calls also but Macbeth is the hardest!! (English is a struggle as a whole)
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
yeah
nousername01
Rep:
(Original post by qmnesia_)
yes. memorise 3 quotes from each main characters and themes and learn context and ofcourse expand your punctuation and vocabulary - revising that could easily secure an 7/8/9.
understand the plot of Macbeth!! i struggle in english the most and im doing inspector calls also but Macbeth is the hardest!! (English is a struggle as a whole)
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads