The Student Room Group

how to get a 7 in english literature and language???

any tips or help are appreciated! i'm currently wondering how can i get the higher grades for both language and literature? i recently found mr salles and mr bruff and i like them but i'm just struggling a bit. should i do practice? use seneca? is their an exam technique i should look to use for both?
-current year 11
I found spark notes really helpful for English lit!
Practice essays for both are really important too :smile:
Hi! I’m in yr 12 and I got an 8 in both of them last yr. The best way to improve at English is by practicing writing essays in timed conditions and using flashcards to analyse and remember all of the information.
For English language, my teachers recommended reading newspapers and fiction books to help with paper 1 and 2, as you will get better at understanding those types of texts and analysing them.
For Literature, just make sure you know your quotes and the book (order of events, characters...) and once you feel confident with the basics you can think of other points of views and ideas that come up while reading them.
I’ll write some more things on a new post.
Btw, what books are u reading?
Reply 3
I'd suggest just reading a lot of books, as many and as often as you can. That will not only develop your understanding within texts, but it will also develop your language as you will be exposed to new vocabulary and correct grammar.

What I also did was look at all of the different meanings within the texts I was studying using Spark notes, like symbolism, motifs, so on, and did practice essays from questions I found online, or retrying past practice questions I had done at school. I would then read over the essay and see if there were ways to improve my essays and got an example answer up to compare.

I was part of the year group who had the new GCSEs in 2018, so it was really stressful because we had no past exam papers or anything to compare or practice with. Use what you can now and it will really help!!!!!

Sorry this may seem very try-hard, but I can guarantee that if you put the effort in, you may even get a higher grade in both Lit and Lang than 7.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by ermmaya
any tips or help are appreciated! i'm currently wondering how can i get the higher grades for both language and literature? i recently found mr salles and mr bruff and i like them but i'm just struggling a bit. should i do practice? use seneca? is their an exam technique i should look to use for both?
-current year 11

Hi, so I got a grade 7 in English Literature and a grade 9 on my English Language. I would deffo recommend you to use Mr Salles. As you see, in year 7-9 I also got grade 3/4 in both of them but when I started to use Mr Salles I started to get better as I knew what the examiner was looking for. Also, you should deffo watch the video of his "how to cheat legally in Q5 Paper 1" it helped me so much I went from a 19/40 to a 31/40. So, by using Mr Salles I know what the examiner wants from me for each question. You can use Mr Bruff for Q5 Paper 1 and Paper 2 as he goes through examples of them so if you remember any one of the examples that he showed which is grade 9 quality you can write them down. Also, use model examples of grade 9 work you can not just do it by yourself and not look at a grade 9 example model. If you keep on looking at a grade 9 example model you will get there. Anyways, good luck! Always work hard! Never lose motivation!
Original post by ermmaya
-current year 11

English Literature:
MAKE ESSAY MINDMAPS
This really really helped me to improve my grades from 4s to 7s and 8s when I did GCSEs 2 years ago. The way you do this is you draw out a mindmap in essay form, so in PEE/ PETER paragraph form. You can also add in other things such as context, effect on reader etc. If you want you can colour coordinate. So for example, I always did the point in blue, evidence/quote in green, explanation (which is basically my thorough analysis) in pink and context in black. In the center of your paper you write the topic, question, character, theme etc and then draw out your mindmap from there. Make sure your points cover different things, so they aren't too similar in case you get a question in the exam that's something you haven't necessarily covered. Once you're done, you've basically written a whole essay. To test you remember it, write out the mindmap but as an actual essay and check you wrote almost everything. Check your mindmap with your teacher so they can add extra things if need be.
YOUTUBERS
When I was in year 11 I didn't really like to use notes from school as I thought they weren't really high standard so I used other YouTubers and basically copied all their notes and selected the points that I liked best or knew I could remember the best. The notes I copied I then used to make my essay mindmaps. Good YouTubers for English lit are Stacey Reay (she does grade 9 analysis for macbeth and an inspector calls), Mr salles is good (I used him for pride and prejudice) and Mr Bruff is good for poetry.

English Language:
PRACTICE QUESTIONS and get them marked by your teacher regularly. Try to do one question a week (like the 40 markers)
READ, READ, READ. Try and read newspapers or short stories or whatever you can and write key phrases and words in a notebook and write their meaning. This way you have good phrases and words that you could use in your essays.
Make mindmaps of words such as angry and then have arrows pointing to synonyms that are better such as irritated, exasperated etc.

Hope this helps x
Hey so basically I’ve done my GSCE’S years ago and when I was at the end of year 10 I struggled a lot. And even though I was born in Pakistan i came to the uk when I was 2 years old so Yh I’m 22 now. So anyways gsces aren’t that hard cl it’s just a piece of cake but nah it’s not like I can’t do this I can’t do that you actually have to try. But I got 7 in maths and a 9 in both English lit and lan. So when I sat the exams it was abt 6 yrs ago when I sat my gsces and nah i cl I was crying depressed everything it was bare sad for me. And what really helped me was GCSEs videos from YouTube I wish I can send you a link but my phone doesn’t let me but I’m sure there are loads of gsce videos from YouTube your not alone.
Tips to help
You could do an essay or a mock paper to practice and get Good skills
If you have a printer a home you could use it to print out lots of language and lit paper questions to help you practise too.
While doing practice papers maybe you could use loads of sheets with technique words and meanings so Yh bye
KIND REGARDS
MAHREEN 🇵🇰
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending