The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Audrey Hepburn
I get more stick from my mates for loving Bananarama than Vivaldi :sadnod:

:banana2: :ninja:

Couldn't resist that one. :biggrin:
pauleverest
Its obvious, people dont like classical music because they cant understand it !

Couldn't this comment be seen as representing the kind of elitism that puts people off classical/art music in the first place? Don't plenty of people like classical music having never been educated to AS-level, or having harmonized a Bach chorale? Extreme eg: the peasants on Richter's Siberian tours?

The reasons are many and far from obvious: the omnipresence of a commercial (/pop-centric) music industry, a stigma attached to classical music (perceived either as a socially or intellectually elite domain), a failure on the part of listeners to bring appropriate expectations to the music. This last point is what I think you're getting at, but it has more to do with attention span than theoretical/form-following/musicological education; and I think the lack of immediate attention is more conditioned by the first two points than an a priori inadequacy stemming from listeners' ignorance. To say it simply, listening with an open mind is conductive to liking music; "understanding" in a academic sense is secondary.

(I could follow this with some argument about immediate pleasure/displeasure being an involuntary/disinterested response, and "understanding" necessitating later reflection/interpretation -- so your point kind of says that the horse is caused by the cart :wink:)
Audrey Hepburn
I get more stick from my mates for loving Bananarama than Vivaldi :sadnod:

Don't worry: I get stick for wearing my Spice Girls T-shirt to my (uber-classical) tutorials :eek: :yep: :biggrin:

I love classical music though. It's great. It's not particularly cool to like it, but that doesn't stop me singing on the bus or dancing to it. I have it on good authority that some pieces in particular are better than sex :eek:
Reply 23
Da Bachtopus

(I could follow this with some argument about immediate pleasure/displeasure being an involuntary/disinterested response, and "understanding" necessitating later reflection/interpretation -- so your point kind of says that the horse is caused by the cart :wink:)

Please do! I love abit of Psychological reasoning.

I think "understand" was meant in a fashion that the "youth" of society at the moment fail to grasp WHY people would listen to the generalised Classical genre as you can't blare it out of your speakers with lots of bass, and some of it you can't sing along to, and you certainly couldn't yell it out when you're plastered.

...that last bit being said, myself and a few choristers last year got very very VERY drunk at our local pub and decided to give a rather marvellous rendition of Byrd's "Sing Joyfully" in full harmony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSP5gl3u1x0). We got thrown out after a rather loud applause

So worth it :cool:
I ******* LOVE IT! Seriously, I do.
Classical music is the most fantastic way to really unwind :yep:

I'm sad enough to own a few "relaxation" compilations, which sound daft but are great since they bring together some of the bes pieces by a variety of composers. Good way to be introduced to a few new names :smile:
Reply 26
It's all right. I prefer Barry Manilow, though.
Reply 27
I've never met a person my age ashamed to say that they listen to classical music. That sort of thing should stop at about 15.
Reply 28
Beethovens 9th - Music doesn't get any more epic.
Reply 29
What? Oh god no...well it's alright...okay I love it :frown:

Okay I'll leave, let my get my cardigan... :getmecoat:
Reply 30
sarCAZm
Beethovens 9th - Music doesn't get any more epic.

Beethoven's 6th

Caeser Frank's Grande Piece Symphonique

Parry's I Was Glad

Byrd's Infelix Ego

I could go on... but I don't want to start an argument!

You can't beat abit of Byrd when you're drunk though
Reply 31
Tchaikovsky and Chopin :love: :musicus:
Spacecam
Beethoven's 6th

Caeser Frank's Grande Piece Symphonique

Parry's I Was Glad

Byrd's Infelix Ego

I could go on... but I don't want to start an argument!

You can't beat abit of Byrd when you're drunk though

:jerry: :woo: :biggrin:
Reply 33
I'm listening to Rachmaninov now :smile:
Spacecam
... you can't blare it out of your speakers with lots of bass, and some of it you can't sing along to, and you certainly couldn't yell it out when you're plastered.

That reminds me of a particularly embarrassing, early-adolescent party. "Spem, spem, SPEM!!!!!!11 IN ALIU— [sounds of vomiting]"

Tinkerbee
Im not remotely musical, but I love classical music.
I listen to classic fm all day :o:

Don't the adverts get on your nerves?
Well... yes, yes I do like classical music.

What's to admit?
Reply 36
Spacecam

as you can't blare it out of your speakers with lots of bass, and some of it you can't sing along to, and you certainly couldn't yell it out when you're plastered.

I used to have lots of fun tailing boy racers round and round the market square in my town, blaring out either classical music or radio 4. Some of the looks we got were priceless.
Reply 37
Chopin, Bach, Brahms, Liszt, Dvořák et al.? Yeah, I like it.
Reply 38
Surely it's more embarrassing for a grown-up person to admit to liking pop?

Oh, and what Da Bachtopus said.
the_alba
Surely it's more embarrassing for a grown-up person to admit to liking pop?

Oh, and what Da Bachtopus said.

Not really. Most people understand nostalgia and still loving the pop music that you grew up with when you were a child. Not as many can see the appeal of classical music :frown:

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending