The Student Room Group

Direct line black box

Hi,
I’m 17 and just have passed my test and want to take out my own insurance. I have had many quotes most are £2000+ with out a black box and with one they are around £1700 with one. With direct line I got a quote for a black box is is £1200.

Does anyone have a black box insurance policy with them? Are they any good or are they very strict?

Thanks
Reply 1
I can’t say to black box but I’ll never use Direct Line again.

I was hit by a lorry on the motorway about 6 years ago (the lorry cut across a lane on a contraflow and hit the back of my car which tried to flick the car round - thankfully the car was drivable and no injuries) which was “declared” by traffic police as the lorry drivers fault a few days later as the accident was on traffic cameras (they were called because the lorry driver was getting abusive).

All direct line was interested in was checking the info I provided when signing up for the policy was right. They were far more interested in my partners old accident (she wasn’t in the car at the time but a named driver) which they claimed I hadn’t declared until then.

Eventually they admitted they’d “mislaid” that particular detail on their computer and I was truthful but I got the impression they were rather begrudgingly.

Basically I ended up having to having to deal with a lot of the claim myself whilst Direct Line were refusing to deal until they sorted themselves out.

Not impressed.
Reply 2
Original post by Oweylowley
Hi,
I’m 17 and just have passed my test and want to take out my own insurance. I have had many quotes most are £2000+ with out a black box and with one they are around £1700 with one. With direct line I got a quote for a black box is is £1200.

Does anyone have a black box insurance policy with them? Are they any good or are they very strict?

Thanks

Don't get one.
All black boxes are basically the same only difference is some companies are bigger pricks and will be harsher and easier to hit cancel, personally I had Hastings SmartMiles and was awful so cancelled it then I tried RAC and was also awful so I gave up with a box as they really aren’t reliable and have no idea why you’ve done the actions like if you brake hard they just assume you’re a **** driver or pissing around when in reality you probably got cut up or something..that’s what I found with a box anyway like they don’t take into account real driving situations and driving around with the thought of having my insurance cancelled or score lowing gave me driving anxiety and I never wanted to drive.
(edited 3 years ago)
try to save up a bit more and get a policy w/o a black box... trust me
Original post by IWMTom
Don't get one.

Exactly.
Those things should be banned.
Wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot barge pole.
Original post by TheYearNiner
try to save up a bit more and get a policy w/o a black box... trust me

Couldn't have said it better myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending