The Student Room Group

working on a cruise ship - help and advice

I've always been desperate to travel to every destination around the world possible but obviously I need a job to pay for it. Recently I saw something about working on a cruise ship and how its great because you basically get paid to travel.
Now the only job I'd be able to do is waitressing and I'd just like to hear everyones experiences, was it worth it? Are you just stuck on the boat as you're supposed to be working?
And finally if it is any good how do I do it lol.
like any company recommendations etc.
Try searching on cruise critic.co.uk for starters. Contact some cruise companies directly as well to discuss your career options.
(edited 3 years ago)
Of all travel sectors cruising is gonna be decimated most by the pandemic. U should consider the industry horizon and outlook.
Original post by EMBaguette
I've always been desperate to travel to every destination around the world possible but obviously I need a job to pay for it. Recently I saw something about working on a cruise ship and how its great because you basically get paid to travel.
Now the only job I'd be able to do is waitressing and I'd just like to hear everyones experiences, was it worth it? Are you just stuck on the boat as you're supposed to be working?

From what I've seen when I've gone on cruises they work long hours and work hard. But on their time off can get off the boat and have a look round. It might be worth contacting the travel companies to find out more.
With the pandemic the way it is at the moment, I don't think you will be working on one yet.
Original post by candydiva
Of all travel sectors cruising is gonna be decimated most by the pandemic. U should consider the industry horizon and outlook.

This, if someone told me they were going on a cruise, i'd smile and nod politely, then report them as a dangerous lunatic that needed sectioned.
Original post by EMBaguette

I worked in the cruise industry for four years up until March, when covid destroyed the industry.

Actually waitressing is almost certainly not an option available to you, as among almost all mainstream cruise lines this is a position that hires almost exclusively from poorer regions of the world like India, the Philippines and parts of South America. It is also, like most service positions on board, a really poor choice for the travelling element of the job as you have very limited amounts of free time available while the ship is docked, since you have to work pretty much every breakfast, lunch and dinner shift every single day for the 6+ months you're on board.

To be frank I would not recommend anybody apply for a job in this industry for the foreseeable future, because quite simply we have no idea when it will be safe or what crew life will look like post-pandemic. For example I worked in the retail dept, which was among the best departments for travelling because the stores would be closed while docked and we could potentially get off and explore every day depending on how the cruise line and manager operated- when I moved into management I guaranteed my team would never work during their free time if they worked hard when we had to open the stores, for example. However the odds are extremely likely that crew life and privileges could be completely overhauled and become more restrictive even after the vaccine has become widespread, whether that's blocking crew shore leave entirely as the few lines that have been sailing in Europe have done over the last few months (this is also something the ports could enforce), or simply bombarding them with so many new duties like sanitation that it reduces the amount of free port time so much that it's no longer worth it for the travelling element. Myself and all the crew I'm in contact with that have a similar travel-first outlook on the job are refusing to return until after we receive commitments from our employers on what privileges crew will be losing or keeping.

With that said, if you have any other questions I'll be happy to try and answer.
Thx for ur response! I'm not a cruiser myself more of a frequent flyer but I love the detail u provide. It's rlly interesting when someone who knows their stuff responds in detail to these kind of q's and that was gold :thumbsup:

I have a Q for u... do u the staff ever get to hookup with pax onboard or is it verboten by cruise company policies?
Thx for ur response! I'm not a cruiser myself more of a frequent flyer but I love the detail u provide. It's rlly interesting when someone who knows their stuff responds in detail to these kind of q's and that was gold :thumbsup:

I have a Q for u... do u the staff ever get to hookup with pax onboard or is it verboten by cruise company policies?

Sleeping with passengers is an immediate firing if caught, no exceptions. Cruise lines don't f*ck around with potential sexual assault lawsuits. Naturally people still do it, but it's the sort of sh*t you keep quiet.
LOL! So then u mean it's like many universities... don't have sex with instructors...actually there's no sanction for students for doing so but there is strong disciplinary language in the instructors' contracts. And yeah ppl live real lives... master has sex with plenty of college student girls but never with his own students lol!

Come on pls tell were u a bad boy? Did u do it with some sexy heiress on her divorce cruise lol? Inquiring minds etc :biggrin:
LOL! So then u mean it's like many universities... don't have sex with instructors...actually there's no sanction for students for doing so but there is strong disciplinary language in the instructors' contracts. And yeah ppl live real lives... master has sex with plenty of college student girls but never with his own students lol!

Come on pls tell were u a bad boy? Did u do it with some sexy heiress on her divorce cruise lol? Inquiring minds etc :biggrin:

Pretty much. It's because crew/teachers are technically representatives of the company in their capacity as employees, and they therefore adopt a degree of liability for their employee's actions.

Nope, I had zero desire to risk my career.
Yeah I get it. Just curious. Not sure I could do it coz I'd want to get into bed with hott paxs....but u right sometimes we need to be restrained in professional sits.
Yeah I get it. Just curious. Not sure I could do it coz I'd want to get into bed with hott paxs....but u right sometimes we need to be restrained in professional sits.

Meh, you've got anywhere up to 2,700 other crew to have fun with if that's what you're after. The crew bar is an eye opening place.

Quick Reply

Latest