The Student Room Group

Car insurance at age of 17

Basically, I have my license and now I’m at age of 17, and I’m planning to get Audi s3 2015/16/17, all the money are there, I don’t care how much the insurance, but, I’m not sure if I can get insurance at age of 17 on a car that has 2.0L and not black box
Reply 1
Original post by alsarragali110
Basically, I have my license and now I’m at age of 17, and I’m planning to get Audi s3 2015/16/17, all the money are there, I don’t care how much the insurance, but, I’m not sure if I can get insurance at age of 17 on a car that has 2.0L and not black box

Well - good luck with that. How can you even afford a 3-5 year old car at the age of 17?

Your insurance premiums will be huge, like really huge. Even if you grew up in a good postcode in Toryville ruraltown suburbia like I did. If you live in a city then forget it.
Original post by Clez
Well - good luck with that. How can you even afford a 3-5 year old car at the age of 17?

Your insurance premiums will be huge, like really huge. Even if you grew up in a good postcode in Toryville ruraltown suburbia like I did. If you live in a city then forget it.

i agree, insurance for most (if not all!) audis is incredibly high. doesn't help either if the car you have in mind is white. why not stick to a corsa or fiesta, good cars that still look nice
Reply 3
Original post by spooky_midget
i agree, insurance for most (if not all!) audis is incredibly high. doesn't help either if the car you have in mind is white. why not stick to a corsa or fiesta, good cars that still look nice

Good call. My first car was a Corsa, my second is a Fiesta. Good handling and reasonable power and comfortable enough. I don't know who these 17 year olds are who are dreaming about getting Audis. Nobody will care and, even if by some crazy reason you have a spare £25k lying around, it would be thousands to ensure. I remember being one of the first of my friends to get a car - I was 19 and it cost about £500 and even then and in one of the best postcodes in the UK the insurance was crippling for the first few years.
Who even drives an S3 anyway? If it's not a Nardo grey S5 people won't even know you sell drugs. :redface:

Look for quotes.
And you should get a black box. It basically halves your insurance and it’ll keep going down every year as you prove you’re not a ****
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
Look for quotes.
And you should get a black box. It basically halves your insurance and it’ll keep going down every year as you prove you’re not a ****

What if you are a **** tho? :tongue: What do you do when they msg you a month later saying 'Lol, we cancel you'?
Reply 7

- brand new account
- wants to insure an S3
- only just got their licence
- 17 years old

Add all those things together and what do you get?

:troll:
Original post by IWMTom
- brand new account
- wants to insure an S3
- only just got their licence
- 17 years old

Add all those things together and what do you get?

:troll:

Beat me to it.

Advice to trolls: families with 8k to bin on one years insurance don’t need to visit a student forum for advice.
Reply 9
Original post by spooky_midget

For teenagers maybe. Mine is like £350 for the year for an A6. You could probably insure an old 8L 1.6 A3 for not insane money if you're younger. Getting harder to find them these days though. A B5 1.9TDI A4 wouldn't be horrendous either.
Original post by Clez

Not defending the OP, but I got my current car brand new at the age of 19. So I would say depending on circumstances, it is possible. But mind you, I got my car on a 0% APR deal, which I'm sure Audi would never offer, LOL.
Original post by Clez
Good call. My first car was a Corsa, my second is a Fiesta. Good handling and reasonable power and comfortable enough. I don't know who these 17 year olds are who are dreaming about getting Audis. Nobody will care and, even if by some crazy reason you have a spare £25k lying around, it would be thousands to ensure. I remember being one of the first of my friends to get a car - I was 19 and it cost about £500 and even then and in one of the best postcodes in the UK the insurance was crippling for the first few years.

I agree.
There's plenty of good first cars out there.
Good luck with the insurance. Insurance for new/young drivers is expensive enough as it is. Insuring an Audi will be stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest