The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Why do people put she/her on their insta

Why do people put she/her on their insta IF THEY ALREADY A GIRL surely you’d use them pronouns anyway cause they are a girl???!!
Mind your business.
Original post by princessxo10
Why do people put she/her on their insta IF THEY ALREADY A GIRL surely you’d use them pronouns anyway cause they are a girl???!!

Uhmmm because they might be: Her/they/them?

Spoiler

Yeah I heard it’s to make transgender people feel more accepted and normal
its their choice
i put they/them on my account so its fine
(edited 3 years ago)
Some people have names that reflect their heritage from another country and so you might not know immediately. Others because they are woke perhaps.
i guess it’s to normalise the fact that gender expression doesn’t always match with gender identity and we can’t assume! many people may identify as non-binary while looking very feminine/masculine, so that’s why it’s important to specify.

and as someone else said, it gives trans people the confidence to feel accepted and for non traditional gender identities to be normalised. pronouns are almost similar to a title - it’s just a way someone wants to be referred to.

be careful with the way you word things like this because it can be hurtful to some people!!
I'm gonna assume that you are genuinely curious and not being insensitive as it is a common thing to be confused about. (And as a correction, instead of saying "already a girl", use cisgender or cis - it is a better way to clarify)

There are many reasons why a cis person (someone who identifies as their birth sex) would add their pronouns to their bio (e.g. they don't show their face on their page or they're gender non-conforming). However, many more people have started to add their pronouns in their bio so as to show their support for trans people and to normalise having your pronouns visible in your bio.

Generally, many people can correctly assume the pronouns of cis people. However, many trans people struggle with being addressed with the correct pronouns, especially online where there may not be any clear indicator. In addition, it is easier for trans people to clarify their pronouns for online interactions by putting them next to their name or in their bio. Yet this also makes them a target for transphobia.

Cis people adding their pronouns in their bio will normalise the clarification of pronouns which will help make the online space safer and more inclusive for trans people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Presenting as female =/= using she/her as pronouns
Well if someone presents feminine doesn't mean their gender identity is female.
Original post by princessxo10

To show they're an LGBT ally!
pronouns gender

the majority tend to think that male and female are the only two genders however this is obviously not the case since people with more minority gender identities such as non binary, genderfluid etc are often disregarded and misgendered, a reason behind this could be because people think whichever gender they 'look like' is the gender they are. misgendering people is very harmful, so people like this tend to display their pronouns in order to inform those around them what they are comfortable going by.
the reason why cis people/ people whose gender isn't minority tend to display their pronouns is to normalise it. it is important to normalise expressing your pronouns, regardless of your gender identity or how much you 'look like your gender', firstly cause those with pronouns displayed may get discriminated against so it's kind of like being an ally and showing that it is obviously ok to have pronouns lol, and secondly because they may not be comfortable going by the pronouns that people 'assign' them, like as in just cause someone 'looks like a girl' its very easy to call them she/her, but they may not being comfortable with that, seeing as pronouns do not determine gender and vice versa. it's whatever they're comfortable by.
Reply 12
Original post by eternaldevotiion
pronouns gender

the majority tend to think that male and female are the only two genders however this is obviously not the case since people with more minority gender identities such as non binary, genderfluid etc are often disregarded and misgendered, a reason behind this could be because people think whichever gender they 'look like' is the gender they are. misgendering people is very harmful, so people like this tend to display their pronouns in order to inform those around them what they are comfortable going by.
the reason why cis people/ people whose gender isn't minority tend to display their pronouns is to normalise it. it is important to normalise expressing your pronouns, regardless of your gender identity or how much you 'look like your gender', firstly cause those with pronouns displayed may get discriminated against so it's kind of like being an ally and showing that it is obviously ok to have pronouns lol, and secondly because they may not be comfortable going by the pronouns that people 'assign' them, like as in just cause someone 'looks like a girl' its very easy to call them she/her, but they may not being comfortable with that, seeing as pronouns do not determine gender and vice versa. it's whatever they're comfortable by.

lol you wrote all that
Original post by brjf
lol you wrote all that

sure did
Original post by brjf
lol you wrote all that

In an old thread too 😂
Original post by sufys12
In an old thread too 😂

i see you've followed me to this thread too pal :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by eternaldevotiion