The Student Room Group

Want to move out of my little town, is student accommodation possible at my age (37)?

I have been studying with the OU for a couple of years and think I've hit a brick wall with distance learning. I love the idea of being at a place of study and having other students who I can chat to, I think it will really improve my learning ability.

I want to experience uni life, but not really the drinking etc, but being a student with flat/house mates to make new friends and meet interesting people. Also I really want to go to a bigger place, I've lived in a small town for most of my life and I feel it'll do me good to experience another place.

Am I too old to go into student accommodation? I applied last year but put it off due to covid, but I had some contact with the accommodation team at one uni and they said they could probably place me with other mature students or at least post grads. Has anyone else done this? How do you feel about living with people that are quite a bit younger than you?

Would another option be to look at private student rented accommodation, like spare room, where some residents may be older professionals?

I am looking at uni's in London and will be restricted to the maintenance loan for rent, which I believe is about £12k for 2021.
Original post by MatchesMalone
I have been studying with the OU for a couple of years and think I've hit a brick wall with distance learning. I love the idea of being at a place of study and having other students who I can chat to, I think it will really improve my learning ability.

I want to experience uni life, but not really the drinking etc, but being a student with flat/house mates to make new friends and meet interesting people. Also I really want to go to a bigger place, I've lived in a small town for most of my life and I feel it'll do me good to experience another place.

Am I too old to go into student accommodation? I applied last year but put it off due to covid, but I had some contact with the accommodation team at one uni and they said they could probably place me with other mature students or at least post grads. Has anyone else done this? How do you feel about living with people that are quite a bit younger than you?

Would another option be to look at private student rented accommodation, like spare room, where some residents may be older professionals?

I am looking at uni's in London and will be restricted to the maintenance loan for rent, which I believe is about £12k for 2021.

Like you, I applied last year, got unconditional offer but declined due to COVID-19 !!!

Anyway, it is not too old to go into student accommodation, but would you feel comfortable sharing with "baby" students with different mindsets. That's the question. But great if you could share with other mature students instead. Better to contact to Accommodation officer and discuss with him/her about your situation.

If I were you, I would prefer the option to look for a private student rented accommodation as long as they are mature students staying rather than "baby" students.
Original post by GatoMessi
Like you, I applied last year, got unconditional offer but declined due to COVID-19 !!!

Anyway, it is not too old to go into student accommodation, but would you feel comfortable sharing with "baby" students with different mindsets. That's the question. But great if you could share with other mature students instead. Better to contact to Accommodation officer and discuss with him/her about your situation.

If I were you, I would prefer the option to look for a private student rented accommodation as long as they are mature students staying rather than "baby" students.

Yeah, I mean I'd probably get along fine with anyone but I'm just worried about the drinking and partying that seems to be more the 1st year. Hopefully they can help me out a bit, sadly I have to wait as no one is working right now to ask. I've sent some emails and will phone next week I think.
Original post by MatchesMalone
Yeah, I mean I'd probably get along fine with anyone but I'm just worried about the drinking and partying that seems to be more the 1st year. Hopefully they can help me out a bit, sadly I have to wait as no one is working right now to ask. I've sent some emails and will phone next week I think.

I think as long as you can be placed with some other mature students it will be fine and more sociable than private halls where people tend just to stick to themselves.

You dodged a bullet not paying for this year when nearly all learning was online anyway.
Original post by harrysbar
You dodged a bullet not paying for this year when nearly all learning was online anyway.

It's what I feared. I've done enough distance learning/remote learning now, I specifically wanted to avoid that. I feel for everyone suffering through this.
I think you should definitely go for it if you can afford to. Hopefully things will return to normal before September. Just make sure they place you with older students. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending