Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Ox
Last edited by Hafstudiesx; 3 months ago
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would make your title "To what extent has (the) recent socio-economic urban regeneration of Canary Wharf impacted local people and sense of place?
You need to be specific in your title. What type of regeneration has occurred in Canary Wharf, and what time period? Do you mean historical regeneration or of the modern day? I assume it would make sense to talk about "impacts" on local people, but what kind of impacts? Make sure you qualify what you mean in your introduction. I think it's also relevant to talk about ideas of "a sense of place" or feelings about place as well which you will probably integrate naturally into your NEA already.
Hafstudiesx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Mx
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello

Identify what type of redevelopment went on in Canary Wharf. Also do a careful evaluation of the benefits. Discuss the impacts of building projects on the local residents etc. Write a concise paragraph on the sense of belonging too. Be very specific when writing up your whole essay. Remember to proofread over your entire geographical coursework essay for any mistakes in spelling afterwards.
Mention feelings. List the pros and cons. I would strongly recommend at least writing four paragraphs per essay too. Use your class notes as a source of fodder to help you to do your essay. Find more information in your geography textbook that can also be used.
Make sure to read the question twice properly first though to ensure that you fully know what to do in order to answer the question. Pay close attention to the number of marks, use that as a guide to your advantage. Assess whether it was a success as well. Consider the relevant factors like the overall price etc. Explain your own opinion in addition. Say whether the area was improved or not as a result.
Hafstudiesx
Rep:
?
Mx
Hafstudiesx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
I would make your title "To what extent has (the) recent socio-economic urban regeneration of Canary Wharf impacted local people and sense of place?
You need to be specific in your title. What type of regeneration has occurred in Canary Wharf, and what time period? Do you mean historical regeneration or of the modern day? I assume it would make sense to talk about "impacts" on local people, but what kind of impacts? Make sure you qualify what you mean in your introduction. I think it's also relevant to talk about ideas of "a sense of place" or feelings about place as well which you will probably integrate naturally into your NEA already.
Hi again! Would you be able to elaborate what you mean by sense of place and feelings of place? Does it also link in with identity and belonging? Ahah Im slightly confused. Thank you though!
Ðeggs
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hafstudiesx)
Hi again! Would you be able to elaborate what you mean by sense of place and feelings of place? Does it also link in with identity and belonging? Ahah Im slightly confused. Thank you though!
You should cover and learn about the topic of place in Year 12, especially about sense of place and feelings of a place, which is certainly linked to identity and belonging yes. The idea is more abstract and qualitative about feelings, emotions and experiences rather than hardcore quantitative data, but the idea is generally just how different people live within, use, experience and talk about different places. Factors like gender, age, job, income, socio-economic status, whether they have children and so many other different factors all influence how we perceive and understand place differently.

Doreen Massey and Tim Cresswell are prominent writes in geography about place. Massey takes on a social scientist approach when analysing place, whereas Cresswell is more philosophical and artistic which is an example of whether human geography is a social science or a humanity when it can be treated as both.

I hope this helps your understanding a bit more, feel free to ask me anything else
Lizziash_03
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For the data presentation section of the NEA do you need lots of different types of graphs and is it ok to include tables?
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lizziash_03)
For the data presentation section of the NEA do you need lots of different types of graphs and is it ok to include tables?
Yep the graphs or located maps or charts etc. (Depending on your nea), I’ve included a table in mine - if it’s the best way to show your results then I’d go for it!
Ðeggs
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lizziash_03)
A table isn't really data presentation that's data collection, if you want to show your raw data you include this in an appendix at the end of the document. But you could use a table to summarise questionnaire data or similar I suppose. You need to have a variety of graphs, charts, diagrams and other aspects of data presentation and visualisation. You can also include things like word clouds such as different answers from an interview question for example. I would also have a map showing your data collection area and the geolocated sites of data collection if possible, such as where you took a measurement or completed a questionnaire. Make sure any maps you use have a scale bar and a north arrow.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads