The Student Room Group

Five A-Levels?

I think I want to take 5 A-Levels next year, but I'm not completely sure. I'd be taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths. I can't choose which one to drop if I were to drop one (either bio, physics, or further maths) but dropping one of these narrows my chances for a lot of university degrees, and I don't know what I want to study yet. I'd love to hear any thoughts, especially if you've taken 5 A-Levels, or similar ones to the ones I might take!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Im y13 and I currently take maths, further maths, physics and geography. And that’s enough for me lol. It depends on your work load capacity. For me, the stem subjects are tricky to get your head around but geography is quite content heavy. So if you are happy to put a lot of work into deep understanding, go for it. It also really depends on what you want to do. If u want to drop one, unless you are taking a degree at uni that is maths, further maths is probably the one to drop. I’m taking maths at uni and the only thing having further maths does is drop the entry requirements. My other friends who take further but aren’t taking maths as a degree have no benefits other than a 4th alevel as their degrees aren’t maths. However, if you want to pursue maths, I recommend keeping further as it really strengthens your normal maths. Also, physics module3 overlaps with the mechanics section in maths so can really help in that respect. But again, it depends on what u want. If you really want to keep your options open, drop further as you can still take maths degrees without it and it has no major benefit in other degrees. But if u think u can take the work load, go for 5, you can always drop one for your second year.
Original post by Apad121
Hi there,

I've seen many different students and have myself experienced different things when it came to this. I was doing 5 A levels Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology in Year 12 on too of Olympiads, extra competitions and lots of extra reading as well as sports If we place whether or not it's advantageous aside which is a whole another conversation, it really depends on the person on whether or not it's hard!

I had 5 A* predicted grades but I later dropped Biology so I was down to 4 A levels as I wanted to prepare for my uni admissions tests and not have any regrets from taking a 5th a level which would compete for my time. I personally found 4 to be a huge weight off my shoulders and 5 to be a fun challenge, in hindsight it may or may not have been wise to have kept the 5th.

3,4,5, or even 6 A levels is all possible and have seen it done well before but it's a all a matter on you personally, how much time it takes you, the grades you're getting in them, uni application time, and also subjects! Many essay heavy subjects or coursework heavy subjects may take much more time physically get through the week!

Best of luck with it all! Only you can truly decide if you find it hard! feel free to DM for any specific details!

I took this from another chat (entitled smth like "Should I take 4 a levels into yr13??) - the end bit is especially relevant to you
There is pretty much no point unless you really can’t see yourself dropping one or two at all. Most A level requirements are not too extensive and doing 4 or 3 subjects will not limit you in any way. There’s no harm in starting with 5 but if you feel like the workload is too much then you should probably consider dropping. After all, an A* in three subjects leaves more doors open than inconsistent grades in five.
(edited 3 years ago)
My work colleague took five A-Levels, he got five As but I would not recommend it. A*A*A > ABBCD
Reply 5
Original post by baoboy
I think I want to take 5 A-Levels next year, but I'm not completely sure. I'd be taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths. I can't choose which one to drop if I were to drop one (either bio, physics, or further maths) but dropping one of these narrows my chances for a lot of university degrees, and I don't know what I want to study yet. I'd love to hear any thoughts, especially if you've taken 5 A-Levels, or similar ones to the ones I might take!

it would be a lot of work i can just about do three let alone five
if you freally want to do it then go for it but it will be really hard to manage time for all five
Original post by baoboy

It's do able if you put a lot of work in.
But it's not for the faint hearted.
Think seriously before doing it.
Reply 7
Original post by blueham1
I took this from another chat (entitled smth like "Should I take 4 a levels into yr13??) - the end bit is especially relevant to you

hi there, thanks for linking it here!

Yeah I'd recommend the OP @baoboy read that post as well! I think it certainly is relevant especially since the subjects are the same!

I work as a university admissions consultant for a few different companies and I'll just say that the no university requires 5 or even 4, however depending on your background be it private or state school, and only if you can smash them all, then it may be slightly advantageous. However for the vast majority of people, 3 is more than enough.

Quick Reply