City then PhD? Watch

This discussion is closed.
RA87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
There are two routes I feel at the moment I would like to go down later in my life and they are Investment Banking and Research and teaching at university. Ideally I would like to work for 10 years in the city and then go back to university and get a PhD and do further study...can anyone give me some comments on the plausability of this, I assume it is not really possible but some feedback would be great!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RA87)
There are two routes I feel at the moment I would like to go down later in my life and they are Investment Banking and Research and teaching at university. Ideally I would like to work for 10 years in the city and then go back to university and get a PhD and do further study...can anyone give me some comments on the plausability of this, I assume it is not really possible but some feedback would be great!

The other way round is more likely, but it depends what subject you are doing. I know a few theoretical physicists who have gone into finance for a few years after their PhD and then back into research. Personally, at this stage of your education I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RA87)
You may find it hard being accepted onto a phd program if you have been out of education for a long period; especially in the sciences.
RA87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The other way round is more likely, but it depends what subject you are doing. I know a few theoretical physicists who have gone into finance for a few years after their PhD and then back into research. Personally, at this stage of your education I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself.
Ah thats sounds quite a good idea, I don't think I am getting ahead of myself just thinking about the future and possible options. Also how hard would it be to get into research again after a few years out if you have a PhD?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1608)
79.13%
Leave (424)
20.87%

Watched Threads