The Student Room Group

Hospital updates.

I’m going to make this a thread, so anyone that’s interested in the real life updates on the NHS and the state of your actions whether that’s donning a mask, or remaining home and what impact it is happening on innocent people in ITU or worse dying then this is will be your daily newspaper.

I’m honestly fed up of everyone not obeying and mucking around.

This isn’t about money anymore. This is about saving as many lives as we can.

Please remain home and don your masks. It’s not hard.

Scroll to see replies

following
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
I’m going to make this a thread, so anyone that’s interested in the real life updates on the NHS and the state of your actions whether that’s donning a mask, or remaining home and what impact it is happening on innocent people in ITU or worse dying then this is will be your daily newspaper.

Thank you for this. I hope you are well x
Thanks Doughnut.
Just received an update from the hospital I study at, and the number of critical care beds has now exceeded the peak of April. The forecasted numbers look grim.
Thank you very much for that doc.

I understand it’s very pressurising and overwhelming for docs at present. You guys are doing an amazing job nonetheless. 😊
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thank you for this. I hope you are well x

You’re welcome. 😊

I’m good thank you, how are you?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Thanks Doughnut.
Just received an update from the hospital I study at, and the number of critical care beds has now exceeded the peak of April. The forecasted numbers look grim.

I’m not surprised in the very least. It’s gone far and beyond.

I’ll attach a picture of what I received and what made me spark this thread up.
You’re welcome. 😊

I’m good thank you, how are you?

I'm good too, thanks for asking. :hugs:
The photo attached is only sent in a dire emergency.

I and I’m sure many countless others working for the NHS, have received that text today, because the ITU department cannot cope any longer with short staff.

Every department has short staff due to staff isolating or having covid. This has gone above and beyond and we are exhausted.

I’ve worked several shifts at ACCU and I actually enjoyed it. BUT..... my feet were killing. I’m not referring to pain where you walk a lot, but the pain that you’ve worked your body to the bone pain. If you’ve done that, well that makes the two of us.

My point of mentioning this is because hospitals cannot cope. They’re pressured, burnt out, overworked and guess what? The vaccine has killed two people sadly.

Yes. Verified news from the hospital today. But I’m not here to talk or spark a debate about the vaccine. Please take that conversation to another dedicated thread. Thanks.

I’m speaking about the pressure the ungodly hours we have to get up and be on our feet. I forgot to eat my lunch or have my lunch break today, because that’s how occupied I was. Maybe that’s minor to you, but if I don’t eat, I won’t have any energy to save even one life.

Think, think and keep on thinking before you act stupid. Thanks. 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
:hugs:

Wish I knew what to say, if anyone needs support, I'm open to listening. :redface:

my mum works at a hospital and today she told me about an 18 year old girl who looked white as a sheet and was shaking from covid. she was on her own because no visitors are allowed due to the pandemic. i feel incredibly bad for her
Original post by Pathway
:hugs:

Wish I knew what to say, if anyone needs support, I'm open to listening. :redface:

Thank you very much for your kind offer. Will bear this in mind! 😊

How are you doing?
Original post by cheese toes
my mum works at a hospital and today she told me about an 18 year old girl who looked white as a sheet and was shaking from covid. she was on her own because no visitors are allowed due to the pandemic. i feel incredibly bad for her

It is incredibly sad unfortunately. I’ll be sharing loads of what I’ve witnessed during Christmas week and even before to bring about understanding and clarity.

Hope your mums well!
Thank you very much for your kind offer. Will bear this in mind! 😊

How are you doing?

I'm okay. Frustrated that a lot of people aren't taking this seriously, but there's not much I can do about it, save for not going outside as I'm CEV, don't want to add to the problem if I can avoid it. :redface:
Original post by Pathway
I'm okay. Frustrated that a lot of people aren't taking this seriously, but there's not much I can do about it, save for not going outside as I'm CEV, don't want to add to the problem if I can avoid it. :redface:

Please don’t stress and please take care of your mental health. I totally understand how you feel, it’s incredibly infuriating to say the least. I’m attempting to bring about awareness via this thread.
Please don’t stress and please take care of your mental health. I totally understand how you feel, it’s incredibly infuriating to say the least. I’m attempting to bring about awareness via this thread.

Yeah, I am trying not to, it's why I avoid the news if possible and get a condensed version of it from my mum! lol. It was getting really upsetting how much some people seem to think people like me should die, I've literally had death threats and been told to kill myself over this. :s-smilie:

Anyway, please do take care, this goes for anyone working with people in health care settings. You guys are important too. I'm here to listen if anyone needs anything. :grouphugs:
25/12/2020

Many individuals were complaining that they couldn’t see families to see or celebrate Christmas this year. Last week Friday. Christmas Day.

There is two special reasons why I keep this day cherished in my heart forever. But what happened on Friday, will remain etched in my memory forever.

I start my shift at ACCU as usual, really thought it was going to be intubation and extubation of the patients as usual protocols.

The time must have been around 11:30 in the morning, my colleague happen to notice that one of our lovely patients was bleeding, first it started from the nose, then the mouth. I’m not talking small bleeds.

I ran and pressed the buzzer for other doctors to be informed because this was now a matter between life and death. As different HCP, attempted CPR on this patient he was bleeding very heavily. Bedsheets were covered in blood, floor was drowned in blood believe it or not it was suddenly something out of a crime scene.

It was horrible. Horrendous. It was my turn to do the CPR I could feel that this patient wasn’t going to make it unfortunately. I cried. As I was doing CPR one of the doctors called out that they could feel a pulse, I felt accomplished for a milli-second then the ECG was lost once again.

We carried out CPR for half an hour. Yes half an hour. It was of no use. Micheal(not his real name) didn’t survive. Unfortunately.

I watched helplessly as I really wanted to save a life but this reminded me it’s not what I want, whatever will happen will happen.

To those that are constantly complaining that they couldn’t celebrate Christmas well guess what? Many people were buried on Friday, whilst you selfishly complained about not being able to celebrate your festivals. The festivals will come and go, the people however? Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

Michaels family, lost a young father on Friday, a day where they should be celebrating, but tears were streaming down their faces. We really were dumbfounded. It was incredibly sad.

This death was not covid related but I thought I’d mention it as a glimpse of our day.

Please stay safe all.
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi fellow NHS worker x

I totally agree with you that everybody should do there part in wearing a face covering, keeping hands clean and help us save as many lives as possible.
Majority is obeying but unfortunately we still have those idiots who don't care about anyone by being a selfish person with not wearing a face covering, don't take seconds to put it on while in shops, buses,trains etc and it will help save your own life never minds others.

I know how you feel with dealing with close up patients with covid19, as dealt with few when they enter maternity wards as obviously must deliver baby first before sending the mother to the covid19 wards and it not a good feeling knowing that you dealing with this.

Issues to with patient families wanting into ward to see them but unfortunately not allowed in and dad is only allowed in for birth only and then sent away and they don't like this but its obviously for reasons this is done.

You and the nursing teams in covid19 wards and ICU are doing fab job under severe circumstances and keep your hard work up ok .

Hopefully everybody who posts here will encourage all there friends etc to stay home and obey the law that is currently in place and help us NHS staff do our jobs in saving lives.
This picture. Exactly this picture.

You heard it from the Doc.
I will continue to help as much as I can as well as fellow nurses/doctors and all relevant HCP. We’re all in this together.

Picture is from my friend who’s currently working right now in ITU. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending