username5568728
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I want to do an English degree so would I be able to become an actuary? I am doing a level maths and would do a maths degree but it is too late to take further maths now.
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You can do a maths degree without further maths.
If you're applying to top tier unis such as Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial/Warwick then your chances are significantly reduced however you can get into most other Russell groups
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I think most actuarial grad schemes will expect a numerate degree, albeit not necessarily a degree in maths. Also as above not all maths degrees require A-level FM (but it is useful). Note that much of a maths degree is very dissimilar to A-level Maths, being much more abstract and proof based. If you like and do well in the maths (or more accurately, mathematical methods) from A-level Maths, that is not necessarily an indicator you will find maths degree maths similarly appealing and that you would also do well in. The kind of maths encountered in economics, engineering, CS and physical sciences degrees is more similar to A-level style maths usually. You could well go into (almost any) economics or CS degree with just A-level Maths, if that is something which interests you. If you really want to pursue an actuarial career I'd suggest looking into doing at least a joint honours degree in a numerate subject such as those suggested above.
nutz99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lily_23)
I want to do an English degree so would I be able to become an actuary? I am doing a level maths and would do a maths degree but it is too late to take further maths now.
If you definitely want to be an actuary have you thought about an Actuarial Science Degree. You wouldn't need further maths for that. The only drawback would be if you changed your mind about your chosen career - obviously a Maths degree gives you more career options.
HedgePig
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You don’t need a mathy degree to start taking actuarial exams - in fact you don’t need a degree at all. However, having one certainly helps with the earlier, more technical exams. It’s not common for people to enter the profession without a mathy degree but it’s definitely doable. I’ve worked with an actuary who was a medical doctor and another who studied Chinese literature (although neither were in the UK.)

Having a degree in English literature might even give you a slight advantage in the later exams, where a large part of what is required is to explain and synthesise arguments.

I agree that it may also be more difficult to find your first actuarial position with an English literature degree. But you can take the first two (I think?) actuarial exams without actually becoming a member of the IFoA and I suspect that if you had passed those, employers would be a lot more willing to consider you. Of course you’d have to pay for the exams yourself.

On balance, I’d still recommend a mathy degree but you definitely can qualify as an actuary without one; it will just require a bit more work.

(Disclaimer: I’m an IFoA qualified actuary but I don’t work in the UK.)
Last edited by HedgePig; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads