xmorgnrhdesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m conflicted on what to choose for a-levels.

My only definite options are business studies and geography, I’m also thinking politics and English literature. I’m not definite on going uni but if I did I would study a business related degree, but I hate maths so whilst it would help I just couldn’t do it for an A-level

Are these a levels beneficial and if not what could I do as an alternative?
bdbcubduvbhbdev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i want to do both geography and business A-levels, i would suggest looking into the business degree's (if you want to go). I think maybe going with English literature as it has a lot of essay writing however this mostly depends on your interests as you don't want to be stuck doing a subject that you don't enjoy for 2 years. Most universities (for business anyway) are not too fussed about the subjects and instead mostly the grades, of try to choose a falicating subject (which you have) so just go off of your interests.
ParadoxicalNerd
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you’re looking to go to a RG (Russel Group) uni, they won’t accept Business Studies as one of your three subjects. Of course, if it’s just a fourth subject you’re planning on dropping later then by all means take it.
With your A level subjects you’re looking at Arts/Humanities degrees, so let’s suppose you wanted to do a degree in something like Economics, for that you would need Maths.
Last edited by ParadoxicalNerd; 3 months ago
xmorgnrhdesx
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexxhales)
If you’re looking to go to a RG (Russel Group) uni, they won’t accept Business Studies as one of your three subjects. Of course, if it’s just a fourth subject you’re planning on dropping later then by all means take it.
With your A level subjects you’re looking at Arts/Humanities degrees, so let’s suppose you wanted to do a degree in something like Economics, for that you would need Maths.
The college I want to go to doesn’t offer economics, I was planning on dropping politics, if I was to do a degree in business would they still not accept it? I really don’t enjoy maths so I was hoping to make up for it with two well-respected subjects?
xmorgnrhdesx
Rep:
?
(Original post by bdbcubduvbhbdev)
i want to do both geography and business A-levels, i would suggest looking into the business degree's (if you want to go). I think maybe going with English literature as it has a lot of essay writing however this mostly depends on your interests as you don't want to be stuck doing a subject that you don't enjoy for 2 years. Most universities (for business anyway) are not too fussed about the subjects and instead mostly the grades, of try to choose a falicating subject (which you have) so just go off of your interests.
I think obviously maths would make it much much easier but it’s a subject I hate, what degree are you looking to do?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Evidence for that please?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by xmorgnrhdesx)
The college I want to go to doesn’t offer economics, I was planning on dropping politics, if I was to do a degree in business would they still not accept it? I really don’t enjoy maths so I was hoping to make up for it with two well-respected subjects?
What the poster says about Business Studies is wrong - you shouldn't take both economics and BS but either are fine.
xmorgnrhdesx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
What the poster says about Business Studies is wrong - you shouldn't take both economics and BS but either are fine.
Thank you, do you know if i could still get in a good uni without maths studying business?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, do you know if i could still get in a good uni without maths studying business?
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subject...rative-studies

You can search from there
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yes loads of unis will accept you onto business courses without maths (and business studies is a perfectly good A level btw ) just look on their websites.

Using Birmingham uni as an example

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...equirementsTab
ParadoxicalNerd
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry, I must’ve misunderstood you. For a Business degree, then yes, they would accept it.
(Original post by Muttley79)
I agree with you, didn’t realise that they were asking if it would be suitable for a Business degree, I thought they were asking about the suitability of BS in general.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry, I must’ve misunderstood you. For a Business degree, then yes, they would accept it.

I agree with you, didn’t realise that they were asking if it would be suitable for a Business degree, I thought they were asking about the suitability of BS in general.
There is NOT a problem with BS anyway ... are you confusing it with General studies?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Check some unis websites to see what they say about the course you are thinking of
bdbcubduvbhbdev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think obviously maths would make it much much easier but it’s a subject I hate, what degree are you looking to do?
either international business or business management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (373)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (279)
11%
Lack of purpose or motivation (356)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (117)
4.61%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (153)
6.03%
Loneliness (217)
8.56%
Financial worries (94)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (133)
5.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (222)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (240)
9.46%

Watched Threads