VentureCommunist
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Really want to get a 9 in english language, how can i?
Learner777
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Ask you’re teacher on how to improve. Look for exemplar writing on English language. Keep practicing exam papers. Watch YouTube vids on topics.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
This is a list of techniques that work

Notes- useful for quick reading
Flashcards- perfect for questions etc
Flowcharts- for themes and characters
Mind maps- ideal for theories on texts mainly
Oral quizzes- best for memory recall
Logbooks- for anything else
mxx454
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Use mr bruff on youtube if you do AQA he’s amazing!!! He has loads of specific videos for each question with example answers and he does english lit too. For the narrative/descriptive what i did was memorise a whole story that could be tweaked to fit the title they give you (idk about other exam boards but for AQA) and i memorised some descriptive paragraph/phrases. It can be quite long but it got me a 9!!
VentureCommunist
Rep:
(Original post by mxx454)
Use mr bruff on youtube if you do AQA he’s amazing!!! He has loads of specific videos for each question with example answers and he does english lit too. For the narrative/descriptive what i did was memorise a whole story that could be tweaked to fit the title they give you (idk about other exam boards but for AQA) and i memorised some descriptive paragraph/phrases. It can be quite long but it got me a 9!!
Tweaked to fit any title? What if you memorised something completely different to what you get on the exam?
mxx454
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by VentureCommunist)
Tweaked to fit any title? What if you memorised something completely different to what you get on the exam?
The titles are quite general so i think if you learnt maybe one good/happy story and one sad that’d be fine for the narrative. I learnt one about a girl driving somewhere and it was a bit melancholy but the title in the exam was ‘abandonment’ so it fit pretty well. I’d practice narrative writing anyways just in case but having a story in your head and just vomiting it onto the page helped massively, i finished writing it in like half the time i would’ve otherwise. Also learn descriptive phrases/metaphors/similes to do with weather like rain/sunny/snow/heat etc and practice descriptions for different settings (beach/abandoned house/forest etc)
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
oh god i hated language..do u need help w literature? i got a 9 in tht.
VentureCommunist
Rep:
(Original post by HS_1)
oh god i hated language..do u need help w literature? i got a 9 in tht.
Yes!! How did you revise?
VentureCommunist
Rep:
(Original post by mxx454)
The titles are quite general so i think if you learnt maybe one good/happy story and one sad that’d be fine for the narrative. I learnt one about a girl driving somewhere and it was a bit melancholy but the title in the exam was ‘abandonment’ so it fit pretty well. I’d practice narrative writing anyways just in case but having a story in your head and just vomiting it onto the page helped massively, i finished writing it in like half the time i would’ve otherwise. Also learn descriptive phrases/metaphors/similes to do with weather like rain/sunny/snow/heat etc and practice descriptions for different settings (beach/abandoned house/forest etc)
Oh okay, thankyou!
username5129378
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by VentureCommunist)
Yes!! How did you revise?
it's been 3 yrs but i'm sure these tips will work!
- Focus on the mark scheme as it'll guide ur structure and help u see wht to include to hit the marks
- Watch Mr.Bruff on yt!! Open up a doc and watch his analysis vids and type anything tht stands out and ur thoughts at the time and then compile it all and print it off so u can commit it to memory. If it weren't for this i doubt i would've gotten a 9!
- Memorise all ur quotes and make flashcards for each w analysis and context on the card
katnissprim0
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
For English language my go to is making mind maps - be really original and make links to things u already know! Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.85%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
28.02%
No (54)
26.09%
I'm not sure (27)
13.04%

Watched Threads