username5307738
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
looking into maths and engineering courses, does anyone have an opinion on what they thought of these degrees when doing them or know anyone’s opinions that did them? thanks
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What sort of engineering - civil, electrical, mechanical, chemical etc - why do you want to do engineering - what grade expectations do you have - what sort of Uni do you want to go to - any idea for eventual career etc.

Maths - again, what sort of maths - financial maths, maths and stats etc - and all the same questions as above.

For you to read and think about :
Engineering - https://usic.sheffield.ac.uk/blog/ca...eering-degrees
Maths - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/mathematics
Engineering Maths degree : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering...undergraduate/
Engineering in the Royal Navy : https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/engineers
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cluckiez)
looking into maths and engineering courses, does anyone have an opinion on what they thought of these degrees when doing them or know anyone’s opinions that did them? thanks
What are your career aims, if you currently have any? I wouldn't recommend engineering unless you are at least considering it as a career.
username5307738
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
What are your career aims, if you currently have any? I wouldn't recommend engineering unless you are at least considering it as a career.
chartered engineer? id like to have done a MEng in something like civil or mechanical then join the engineering council
username5307738
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
i like maths but idk anything about maths career wise other than teaching, and i hate kids.
username5307738
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
What sort of engineering - civil, electrical, mechanical, chemical etc - why do you want to do engineering - what grade expectations do you have - what sort of Uni do you want to go to - any idea for eventual career etc.

Maths - again, what sort of maths - financial maths, maths and stats etc - and all the same questions as above.

For you to read and think about :
Engineering - https://usic.sheffield.ac.uk/blog/ca...eering-degrees
Maths - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/mathematics
Engineering Maths degree : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering...undergraduate/
Engineering in the Royal Navy : https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/engineers
civil/mechanical
personally i love maths and i also like designing things (did gcse art and got an 8), but prefer the majority being maths or mechanics. i like problem solving and numbers to create things.
expecting either A*A*A or if I’m lucky in my further maths mock then three A*s
i want to go to a top university such as oxford or imperial but they require phys :/

with maths i like applied/pure maths but i don’t necessarily know what jobs are involved from a math degree by itself, i’m not really into things like accounting or stats.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Two course/subject suggestions

Design Engineering - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...n-engineering/
Engineering Maths - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering...g-mathematics/
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
chartered engineer? id like to have done a MEng in something like civil or mechanical then join the engineering council
Hi there!

Great to hear that you want to study civil engineering!
My name is Anna and I'm currently studying civil engineering at Surrey uni and I'm on my placement year (3rd year). I'm hoping to graduate with MEng. You asked earlier about how people find the course and I can share my experience with you studying civil engineering at Surrey.

General:
You have 4 modules each semester which is the case with every year. A few modules will be purely coursework based but most of the time a module is a mix of exam and coursework (with exams having a heavier weighting). The modules with exams generally have tutorials which is where you will be in smaller class sizes and you answer a sheet of questions relating to the lectures that you were taught that week and your lecturer will be their to help you and answer any questions that you have. This is so helpful because you can ask lecturers any questions regarding the content you were taught which you weren't able to ask in the lecture. The tutorial questions also help with exam revision immensely.

Each year you have a module in the 2nd semester called Integrated Design which is when you have to design a real project group. This pretty much is reflecting the real world of work where you are working with different people and sharing ideas and solving problems to build on a project. There's quite a few group work involved for some of the coursework across a lot of modules so you get to know people in your course a bit more and learn to work with people you haven't met before.

1st year:
You get a lot of contact hours with face to face teaching and they teach you the basics so everyone is on the same page. You have a maths module in both semesters and it has a lot of overlap with A levels Maths and Further Maths. A few modules such as maths, and materials and statics are shared with other engineering departments so the class sizes will be huge. However, most of the modules that you do are only for civil engineering students which is really good as you can get to know your course mates and make friends a lot better. It is also a huge advantage because the lectures are more interactive due to the smaller class size and you feel more free to ask them for help.

2nd year
I think the course at Surrey is quite good but it's also quite intense especially when you get into second year, which everyone will say is the case with every degree. First year is about getting people on the same page but once you get into second year, you have less face to face teaching than 1st year and this to encourage you to learn more independently and work with other course mates to help each other out. You will still have tutorials to ask lecturers for help and not to forget you can email lecturers and arrange a meeting so you can ask for help in person. Some of the lecturers are just amazing and they're so willing to put time aside to help you out. I had quite a lot of coursework during the semester as some modules were purely coursework based, so it was quite a challenge trying to manage deadlines and to stay on top of lectures. Every percentage counts so everyone generally tries to put a lot of focus on the coursework to put them in a better position if exams don't work out well.

I have to mention that I have amazing course mates which made studying civil engineering so much more easier. In my class there was around 55 people which is small compared to other courses. Nonetheless, it meant we all knew each other by name and we could count on each other for help.

I was just sharing my personal experience with the course but if you want more information about content and what modules we do you can check out:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergradua...ineering#entry

Surrey also has a scholarship scheme with ICE (Institute of Civil Engineering) which allows you to be matched with a suitable company and they will fund the scholarship. You spend a paid period training with them over the summer vacation at the end of each academic year and placement year. This scheme offers great practical experience and you will come out of uni with a lot of experience than many other graduates. You can check out this link for more info:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/fees-and-fu...holarship-2021

If you have any questions about Surrey uni, how i'm finding the course or student life feel free to ask

Best wishes
Anna, Civil Eng
Essayspapers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
DM. for some professional academic assistance.
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
civil/mechanical
personally i love maths and i also like designing things (did gcse art and got an 8), but prefer the majority being maths or mechanics. i like problem solving and numbers to create things.
expecting either A*A*A or if I’m lucky in my further maths mock then three A*s
i want to go to a top university such as oxford or imperial but they require phys :/

with maths i like applied/pure maths but i don’t necessarily know what jobs are involved from a math degree by itself, i’m not really into things like accounting or stats.
Hi, I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago (im Y13 now), I really enjoyed maths but I also enjoyed design technology at gcse. For alevels I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and what swayed me to choosing to do a civil engineering degree was doing Further Maths at alevel. I didn’t enjoy how ‘abstract’ it became and I much preferred the applied side of maths (mechanics). If you do decide to do engineering I wouldn’t stress too much about going to Oxbridge, depending who you ask they aren’t always the best when it comes to practical subjects- there are other great unis out there for engineering like Loughborough, Birmingham, bath, Nottingham etc... that don’t require physics but still get you to the same end point.

Maths degrees can lead you to a lot of jobs that you may not even know about, just have a look at some uni courses and they will often mention what their graduates go on to do

Just to say it is your choice but don’t be put off engineering by the fact you haven’t done physics and remember that you don’t have to go to oxbridge/imperial to get a good degree
username5307738
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becca216)
Hi, I was in a similar position to you a couple of years ago (im Y13 now), I really enjoyed maths but I also enjoyed design technology at gcse. For alevels I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography and what swayed me to choosing to do a civil engineering degree was doing Further Maths at alevel. I didn’t enjoy how ‘abstract’ it became and I much preferred the applied side of maths (mechanics). If you do decide to do engineering I wouldn’t stress too much about going to Oxbridge, depending who you ask they aren’t always the best when it comes to practical subjects- there are other great unis out there for engineering like Loughborough, Birmingham, bath, Nottingham etc... that don’t require physics but still get you to the same end point.

Maths degrees can lead you to a lot of jobs that you may not even know about, just have a look at some uni courses and they will often mention what their graduates go on to do

Just to say it is your choice but don’t be put off engineering by the fact you haven’t done physics and remember that you don’t have to go to oxbridge/imperial to get a good degree
thanks for your input. i switched one of my subjects to further and tbh its not putting me off maths at all, althought because i’m catching up rn i do have to teach myself, but most of it makes sense. switching to further makes me want to pursue the maths/eng route as well, possibly thinking of liverpool’s eng courses or imperial’s comp sci courses.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you want to be an engineer, then an engineering degree is better choice than a maths one.

i like maths but idk anything about maths career wise other than teaching, and i hate kids.
But, with a maths degree, teaching isn't your only option. Especially nowadays, there are so many roles in tech, data science, finance etc. that you can do with a maths degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads