The Student Room Group

Tuition for Oxbridge admission

Hi,
This is regarding the University admission for my son who is in year 12 now. He has taken Maths, further maths, Economics and Physics.

He wants to do Economics in the future preferably from Oxford. The subjects were chosen based on his interest. He wants to start a structured guidance in order to perform well in his AS exam which is due next year June/ July time. Followed by preparing the interview/ personal statement and admission tests for the Oxbridge colleges. I want him to start this sooner than later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Debbie.Guha
Hi,
This is regarding the University admission for my son who is in year 12 now. He has taken Maths, further maths, Economics and Physics.

He wants to do Economics in the future preferably from Oxford. The subjects were chosen based on his interest. He wants to start a structured guidance in order to perform well in his AS exam which is due next year June/ July time. Followed by preparing the interview/ personal statement and admission tests for the Oxbridge colleges. I want him to start this sooner than later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Oxford Economics has a 6% success rate, even for excellent candidates admission is not guaranteed. What are your sons GCSE results? I would advise preparing for the admission test now, doing a little every week. This is because the admissions test will play a large part in deciding who to interview. Also, he read widely around economics, while delving deep into one or two areas of interest. If interviewed, the tutors will want to have a conversation with someone who has good reasoning abilities, and can draw on his own knowledge to back up an argument.

For such a competive course, top grades in his AS levels will be almost essential, along with all A*/A predictions when he applies to Oxford
Anyone with Oxbridge prospects should be capable of revising for AS exams without being told how to.

Preparing for interview and admissions tests should be quite simple, wider reading and doing past papers are your best bets. I don't know of any reputable Oxbridge tutoring schemes (aside from the official summer schools) so can't help you there - I suspect there aren't any.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending