The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Further maths?

I am thinking of doing a maths degree and would like to get into cambridge but i only just decided on doing a maths degree so didnt take furthermaths. Would it be possible to teach myself the entire furthermaths course or should I stay with an english degree(which is what I was going to do). BTW I am doing maths a level
Original post by Lily_23
I am thinking of doing a maths degree and would like to get into cambridge but i only just decided on doing a maths degree so didnt take furthermaths. Would it be possible to teach myself the entire furthermaths course or should I stay with an english degree(which is what I was going to do). BTW I am doing maths a level

how difficult are you finding maths level and what year are you in?
Original post by asianism
how difficult are you finding maths level and what year are you in?

I'm in year 12 and finding maths really easy- we are doing trig identities at moment and it is very easy. All my friends ask me to help them as well!
Original post by Lily_23
I'm in year 12 and finding maths really easy- we are doing trig identities at moment and it is very easy. All my friends ask me to help them as well!

ok so do you like maths because you find it easy? I'm going to say if you want to get into Cambridge you need to have a very strong passion for mathematics. And fm is certainly self teachable but still going to take work so if you do it make sure you have enough time without having to compromise grades on your other levels. If you are finding alevel maths easy maybe have a look at STEP 1 questions or BMO stuff as they are much harder.

Quick Reply

Latest