The Student Room Group

would you date a chubby guy?

also explain your reason if you would/won't, you can go anon if you dont want to be judged because people in here can be very condescending and mean.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
also explain your reason if you would/won't, you can go anon if you dont want to be judged because people in here can be very condescending and mean.

Depends what we're talking about.

I'd happily date a girl who's carrying "a few extra pounds", but if we're talking morbidly obese, that's a different kettle of fish.

Not so-much because of the physical attributes, but because I'm quite passionate about my exercise, fitness etc. and that would show an obvious personality incompatibility ( I can't really imagine myself with a 'couch potato'; even if she was slim). However, if said obese person was to prove to me she wanted to lose the weight, get fitter (in the literal sense) and would commit to it, I MIGHT consider it (based on other attributes about her)

EDIT- Apologies, I actually thought the title said "Would I date a chubby girl".... wouldn't have spotted it if I hadn't seen ecolier's post.

Sorry to have wasted your time :colondollar::eek::biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Depends on if I find them attractive. Personality is important but I'm not going to be with somebody I'm not at least a little bit physically attracted to. otherwise I may as well just call it a good friendship.
Reply 3
Ok.

Then why did you reply to the thread in the first place?
Nope I don't find chubby guys attractive at all. They have to be slim Sorry
Reply 5
Original post by Ramipril
Depends on if I find them attractive. Personality is important but I'm not going to be with somebody I'm not at least a little bit physically attracted to. otherwise I may as well just call it a good friendship.

Ok but if you don't find chubby guys attractive at least a little then you're just friends. So, why did you say it depends on if you find them attractive? kinda puzzled
Reply 6
Yep, sorry, next time I will put "people who're attracted to guys, are you attracted to chubby guys?" to make sure such ''accidents'' will not occur.
Ummm if they have a decent amount of muscle under the fat, then yes. But if they're just chubby with no/little muscle then absolutely not. My ideal body type on guys is muscular with a thin layer of fat

I try to keep my body in shape so I expect that from my partner as well
Reply 8
Nope I don't find chubby guys attractive at all. They have to be slim Sorry

Nothing to feel sorry about, it's a preference. Do you have negative thoughts about chubby men or you don't like the looks?
Ok but if you don't find chubby guys attractive at least a little then you're just friends. So, why did you say it depends on if you find them attractive? kinda puzzled

I'm not saying I don't find chubby guys unattractive (also I'm not really into guys anyway). But like anybody, chubby or not, I have to be at least a little bit physically attracted to them to get past the friendship stage.
Ummm if they have a decent amount of muscle under the fat, then yes. But if they're just chubby with no/little muscle then absolutely not. My ideal body type on guys is muscular with a thin layer of fat

I try to keep my body in shape so I expect that from my partner as well

Is that a general thing or only about body shape? like, would you date someone who was poorer than you or less intelligent than you?
It’s probably my preference, although I don’t really have a type. I can’t explain why I like it but I find it very attractive.

I’d date any body type if I like the person.
Is that a general thing or only about body shape? like, would you date someone who was poorer than you or less intelligent than you?

I think intelligence comes in many different forms I consider myself to be quite intelligent (got into a very competitive course at uni) but I would date someone with any profession, as long as we were compatible

Id rather be with a guy who was hardworking and had a good personality with a not-so-well-paying job, than for example a guy who was wealthy and had a massive ego with an awful personality (I'm not saying those go hand-in-hand, rather I mean wealth doesnt matter that much to me)
I think men who work out and have a more muscular frame indicate to me that they are active, have discipline and are not lazy (it's subconscious - I don't think chubby guys are awful, it's probably just evolutionary to want a fit partner)
I think intelligence comes in many different forms I consider myself to be quite intelligent (got into a very competitive course at uni) but I would date someone with any profession, as long as we were compatible

Id rather be with a guy who was hardworking and had a good personality with a not-so-well-paying job, than for example a guy who was wealthy and had a massive ego with an awful personality (I'm not saying those go hand-in-hand, rather I mean wealth doesnt matter that much to me)
I think men who work out and have a more muscular frame indicate to me that they are active, have discipline and are not lazy (it's subconscious - I don't think chubby guys are awful, it's probably just evolutionary to want a fit partner)

You can work out and not be muscular if all you're doing is cardiovascular exercise. You can even remain chubby and work out provided you eat more than you burn.

Anyways, you were very clear :smile:
You can work out and not be muscular if all you're doing is cardiovascular exercise. You can even remain chubby and work out provided you eat more than you burn.

Anyways, you were very clear :smile:

Yeah I get what you mean, some of it obviously is to do with aesthetics as well I guess :redface:
Original post by Ramipril
I'm not saying I don't find chubby guys unattractive (also I'm not really into guys anyway). But like anybody, chubby or not, I have to be at least a little bit physically attracted to them to get past the friendship stage.

Did you mean to say 'I'm not saying I don't find chubby guys attractive'' because now I am even more puzzled. You do have to be a bit physically attracted to them, of course. Some people may be attracted physically to chubby men. I just am not quite sure you are. And you said you're not really into guys lol :biggrin:
Yeah I get what you mean, some of it obviously is to do with aesthetics as well I guess :redface:

Sure, some people also have negative perceptions of chubby people so I just wanted to know whether both lack of physical attraction and prejudice (justified prejudice if you wish) were the reasons why.
I’m very similar to other responders in that I’d happily date someone who is carrying some extra weight. However, if someone is morbidly obese, I most likely wouldn’t. Personally, I am very passionate about living a healthy and active lifestyle, and the idea of spending my life with someone who wouldn’t be interested in that doesn’t appeal to me.
Of course, I’d never say never as I’ve been proven wrong on many an occasion. Plus, if someone is struggling with their weight due to uncontrollable issues, it would be a different story.

Bottom line for me is to remain open-minded and to remain kind and respectful about anyone I’m not initially attracted to. :smile:
I’m very similar to other responders in that I’d happily date someone who is carrying some extra weight. However, if someone is morbidly obese, I most likely wouldn’t. Personally, I am very passionate about living a healthy and active lifestyle, and the idea of spending my life with someone who wouldn’t be interested in that doesn’t appeal to me.
Of course, I’d never say never as I’ve been proven wrong on many an occasion. Plus, if someone is struggling with their weight due to uncontrollable issues, it would be a different story.

Bottom line for me is to remain open-minded and to remain kind and respectful about anyone I’m not initially attracted to. :smile:

Yes, health is very important and I totally understand why you'd not be attracted to unhealthy people if they can change their health but don't. I was not talking about morbidly obese, I'd actually think most morbidly obese people have some sort of problem whether mental or physical so no I do not include them in the chubby category.

What about guys who may not be fit but are actively trying to be? like you see them exercise outside or in the gym, etc? do they remain unattractive until they reach a healthy weight?
Yes, health is very important and I totally understand why you'd not be attracted to unhealthy people if they can change their health but don't. I was not talking about morbidly obese, I'd actually think most morbidly obese people have some sort of problem whether mental or physical so no I do not include them in the chubby category.

What about guys who may not be fit but are actively trying to be? like you see them exercise outside or in the gym, etc? do they remain unattractive until they reach a healthy weight?

Oh definitely I would go for guys like that. They’d be attractive to me even before reaching a healthier weight I’m no Hercules myself so I can hardly be choosy there haha.

For me, it’s the mental attitude towards health that swings me one way or another. I should clarify that if someone had no interest in remaining healthy and active, I wouldn’t be able to date them as we wouldn’t be comparable at all. If they want to take that attitude, then they of course can as it is their right. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest