The Student Room Group

would you date a chubby guy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It happens all the time and I'm sure you know it. It's not really a mystery.

yes, but it shouldn’t. the question was WHY judge someone on their looks? you shouldn’t.
yes, but it shouldn’t. the question was WHY judge someone on their looks? you shouldn’t.

Many people are looks attracted and plenty are only sexually interested in those who conform to their specific 'physical type/types'.
In terms of personal appearance: complexion, hair or eye colour, body shape, piercings, physiognomy, height differences.
Sometimes also accent, visible body piercings & modifications or tattoos.

Most of my dating dealbreakers are personality, age and ambition orientated.
But I am not attracted to guys who are: bald, bodybuilders, have facial hair, a lot of visible muscle/six packs/flab, body piercings/modifications, in their 80s+ or specific accents.
(edited 3 years ago)

A topic for another thread I guess. I take it as a given that people have physical requirements.

It's not straight out judging somebody for the way they look. It's called being attracted to somebody.
Original post by londonmyst
Many people are looks attracted and plenty are only sexually interested in those who conform to their specific 'physical type/types'.
In terms of personal appearance: complexion, hair or eye colour, body shape, piercings, physiognomy, height differences.
Sometimes also accent, visible body piercings & modifications or tattoos.

Most of my dating dealbreakers are personality, age and ambition orientated.
But I am not attracted to guys who are: bald, bodybuilders, have facial hair, a lot of visible muscle/six packs/flab, body piercings/modifications, in their 80s+ or specific accents.

All those are completely acceptable but beside the point. It's not about judging a person's appearance. I wouldn't date Jon Hamm but that doesn't mean I judge him. He looks outrageously handsome and I assume most straight women love him.
yes if im attracted to them.
Original post by nataliegorenx
yes if im attracted to them.

isn't that part of the question though? like of course you wouldn't date someone you're not attracted to...? it's begging the question or I'm missing something because another girl also said this

I guess the question should've been whether you are attracted to chubby guys not whether you'd date them because the question is confusing to some I suppose (or to me, it turns out)
Reply 47
No because I'm a straight guy.

I would however date a chubby girl if we got along well enough
I am attracted to chubby and skinnier guys yet not large guys if you get me but thats my preference- i havent got anything against them.
isn't that part of the question though? like of course you wouldn't date someone you're not attracted to...? it's begging the question or I'm missing something because another girl also said this

I guess the question should've been whether you are attracted to chubby guys not whether you'd date them because the question is confusing to some I suppose (or to me, it turns out)

well then yes i am attracted to some (not overly chubby though) if you get me
I am attracted to chubby and skinnier guys yet not large guys if you get me but thats my preference- i havent got anything against them.

Yes... part of the reason why I made this thread is to encourage ppl to talk about their preferences even behind anon. Not to demonise them or judge them. I am chubby and it is interesting to hear each person's perspective (male or female, idc).
Yes... part of the reason why I made this thread is to encourage ppl to talk about their preferences even behind anon. Not to demonise them or judge them. I am chubby and it is interesting to hear each person's perspective (male or female, idc).

I agree- I wouldnt judge anon's pref cuz every1 is entitled to thei own opinion
well then yes i am attracted to some (not overly chubby though) if you get me

Kind of, it's not easy to quantify these things lol. It doesn't need to be entirely precise. Would you consider Corden to be overly chubby for example? because I would. It's difficult to understand what each person has in mind by the term ''chubby'' :biggrin:
Kind of, it's not easy to quantify these things lol. It doesn't need to be entirely precise. Would you consider Corden to be overly chubby for example? because I would. It's difficult to understand what each person has in mind by the term ''chubby'' :biggrin:

now- i wouldnt call Corden overly chubby- but when he was first in Gavin and Stacey i would
now- i wouldnt call Corden overly chubby- but when he was first in Gavin and Stacey i would

yeah anyway haha the point is even what ppl consider chubby is kind of subjective so I dont mind leaving the details to the imagination :biggrin:
Original post by Ramipril
It's not straight out judging somebody for the way they look. It's called being attracted to somebody.

if you refuse to date someone for the sole fact they’re overweight, it’s judging. you are judging their looks which leads you to not be attracted to someone. people can have preferences, yes. but it’s straight up rude to refuse to get to know someone just because they’re “fat”.
if you refuse to date someone for the sole fact they’re overweight, it’s judging. you are judging their looks which leads you to not be attracted to someone. people can have preferences, yes. but it’s straight up rude to refuse to get to know someone just because they’re “fat”.

It's not rude unless you express it rudely. As I said, I wouldn't date Jo Hamm because I am not attracted to men. Solely because he's a man. However, he's probably a stand up guy and clearly handsome. I just don't dig men. Nothing wrong with it.
It's not rude unless you express it rudely. As I said, I wouldn't date Jo Hamm because I am not attracted to men. Solely because he's a man. However, he's probably a stand up guy and clearly handsome. I just don't dig men. Nothing wrong with it.

That’s different to refusing to date someone because they’re overweight. If you get to know them and realise you’re not compatible, whether that’s physically or emotionally, thats fine. But down right refusing to talk or get to know someone purely because they’re overweight is wrong.
That’s different to refusing to date someone because they’re overweight. If you get to know them and realise you’re not compatible, whether that’s physically or emotionally, thats fine. But down right refusing to talk or get to know someone purely because they’re overweight is wrong.

I don't think anyone here said they'd refuse to even talk or get to know them. I'd get to know Jo Hamm (sry I just brought him up as a convenient example that popped in my head, nothing specifically instructive about Hamm) but not with the prospect of dating him because I am not attracted to men. I don't judge men, I am a man myself in fact.
I don't think anyone here said they'd refuse to even talk or get to know them. I'd get to know Jo Hamm (sry I just brought him up as a convenient example that popped in my head, nothing specifically instructive about Hamm) but not with the prospect of dating him because I am not attracted to men. I don't judge men, I am a man myself in fact.

yes I’m aware nobody said that, but I did. In my original post I asked “why judge someone because of their looks?”. I used the word JUDGE, hence meaning refusing to get to know. Judge means to make a decision about someone based on an interaction or a visual thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending