nivi27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
Any ideas of what I can put in my music composition to get a grade 9?
Em1845
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nivi27)
Hi,
Hey, I got a grade 9 overall for gcse music and overall for the 2 compositions I got 65/72! Firstly I would say to pick what kind of composition you're doing and stick with it, it sounds obvious but it gets difficult if you keep changing. You should concentrate more on the content in the music rather than the length, dont make it to long and try to avoid repeating phrases a lot. If you do repeat phrases of music, add something in the accompaniment or add a counter melody or add some harmony so it's slightly different. Once you've finished the composition you will probably have to print the sheet music off or write some commentary and I recommend going really into detail about things you have done, why you have done it and what effect you intended to create. Even point out really simple things that you don't think are that important as the examiners will then notice it and will realise how much effort you've put it. I'd also do at least 1 key change or time signature change and maybe have two contrasting sections within the piece, whether you do a song (contrast the chorus to the bride or intro) or ternary from (ABA - B section being where there is contrast) as it shows your ability to write different kinds of things. A final thing, maybe have a story for your piece, for example I did an underscore for a film and made up the idea that it was about an old man reliving all his memories, and then making new memories. Im sorry this is so long but I hope it helps!!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nivi27)
Hi,
Read the mark scheme and the examiners reports
FatYikes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I got a grade 9 in music gcse in 2019, and I would agree with everything said above. My advice is to make sure it is really well structured, and also making sure the piece flows nicely between contrasting sections. Make sure that you do some research into the style of music that you’re basing your composition around eg. Listening to lots of pieces in that style and picking out the key features. I find even just listening to pieces in the style helps my compositions feel much more stylistic and natural subconsciously.
I really struggled with the composition element and I still do (I’m doing A level music) but if you persist at it, ask for advice from teachers and really focus on developing your existing material you’ll be well on your way! Hope this helps
Last edited by FatYikes; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads