The Student Room Group

Expelled from University by being bullied into cheating by others

I was in my final year of my Degree with a good track record. I opted to take a language exam as an option. I had a student 'friend' who also wanted to take it but was denied. He was extremely jealous of me that he could not take it and I could. He kept on bothering me about how 'unfair' it was that I could and he couldn't.

He was determined to try to take it and repeatedly bothered me and staff about it. I got so fed up I told him to speak to the Uni. He came back to me and said he wanted to sit my exam for me.(because he was denied to take it himself!!??!) I refused - I said I actually want to learn this stuff. He was persistent saying he could get 100% for me. I still refused.

This became so persistent that I went to my personal tutor to try to dob him in. Before I could finish my sentence about it she shouted at me and told me to go away. I went to my course advisor and before I could explain he just shouted at me and said it is too late for him to take it and to not mention anything about it again.

I also tried to reach out to student counselling service who were not interested in what I had to say.

I was estranged from my late parents at the time and really had no-one else I trusted to turn to. I did not want to let him take my exam.

I then started to get barely veiled threats of violence against me by a lot of individuals who identified with him pushing for me to let him take my exam for me. I ignored them for the most part except when they simply asked me if I was afraid of ending up dead. I said 'no, because I'd be dead.'

The unbelievable level of persistence by many individuals both inside and outside the University started to weigh down on me a lot. However, they were getting nowhere with me because I did not want to let him take my exam for me - I'd rather fail the option.

Then the veiled threats got even more intense. They, a very large number of individuals, started to threaten to bomb the University and the situation turned it on me. At that point I capitulated and set him up to take the exam for me. Putting other people's lives under threat was not an option for me.

I figured it was better than the threat of people dying and I set him up in a way I knew he would get caught and explain when it happened then. I felt it was my only way out of the situation. I had no other way of dealing with it at the time.

Of course, he got caught red handed and there was a hearing. I answered all their questions honestly and truthfully. When I was asked if I had anything to add I started to speak and started to ask the panel some questions which they refused to answer. I then tried to explain my side of the story and the adjudicator at the hearing just continued to shout over me until I shut up.

They expelled me from the university for cheating.

Of course the question remains as to what was in it for this individual and why he got so much support. Simple, nationalistic pride. He was ethnically from this country and there were a large number of individuals, the majority, staying in my independent halls at the time.

Of course, if you speak out against a certain nationality doing a certain thing , true or not, in the UK you get branded a 'racist' and any nefarious actions tend to be ignored until it affects someone else. So I really felt trapped.

There is more to it but in the interest of keeping it short, that's it in a nutshell.

Like to hear what peoples thoughts and opinions on it are.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bodetode
I was in my final year of my Degree with a good track record. I opted to take a language exam as an option. I had a student 'friend' who also wanted to take it but was denied. He was extremely jealous of me that he could not take it and I could. He kept on bothering me about how 'unfair' it was that I could and he couldn't.

He was determined to try to take it and repeatedly bothered me and staff about it. I got so fed up I told him to speak to the Uni. He came back to me and said he wanted to sit my exam for me.(because he was denied to take it himself!!??!) I refused - I said I actually want to learn this stuff. He was persistent saying he could get 100% for me. I still refused.

This became so persistent that I went to my personal tutor to try to dob him in. Before I could finish my sentence about it she shouted at me and told me to go away. I went to my course advisor and before I could explain he just shouted at me and said it is too late for him to take it and to not mention anything about it again.

I also tried to reach out to student counselling service who were not interested in what I had to say.

I was estranged from my late parents at the time and really had no-one else I trusted to turn to. I did not want to let him take my exam.

I then started to get barely veiled threats of violence against me by a lot of individuals who identified with him pushing for me to let him take my exam for me. I ignored them for the most part except when they simply asked me if I was afraid of ending up dead. I said 'no, because I'd be dead.'

The unbelievable level of persistence by many individuals both inside and outside the University started to weigh down on me a lot. However, they were getting nowhere with me because I did not want to let him take my exam for me - I'd rather fail the option.

Then the veiled threats got even more intense. They, a very large number of individuals, started to threaten to bomb the University and the situation turned it on me. At that point I capitulated and set him up to take the exam for me. Putting other people's lives under threat was not an option for me.

I figured it was better than the threat of people dying and I set him up in a way I knew he would get caught and explain when it happened then. I felt it was my only way out of the situation. I had no other way of dealing with it at the time.

Of course, he got caught red handed and there was a hearing. I answered all their questions honestly and truthfully. When I was asked if I had anything to add I started to speak and started to ask the panel some questions which they refused to answer. I then tried to explain my side of the story and the adjudicator at the hearing just continued to shout over me until I shut up.

They expelled me from the university for cheating.

Of course the question remains as to what was in it for this individual and why he got so much support. Simple, nationalistic pride. He was ethnically from this country and there were a large number on individuals, the majority, staying in my independent halls at the time.

Of course, if you speak out against a certain nationality doing a certain thing , true or not, in the UK you get branded a 'racist' and any nefarious actions tend to be ignored until it affects someone else. So I really felt trapped.

There is more to it but in the interest of keeping it short, that's it in a nutshell.

Like to hear what peoples thoughts and opinions on it are.

So a couple of things.

1) Of course you were going to get caught and get expelled. You should have never allowed him to sit the exam. I think you have lost all leverage/negotiating with the university as this is as serious an academic offence as you get.

2) You should have told him to **** off, its not your fault they didnt let him take the module. He needs to grow up and learn to deal with it. After this didnt work you should have warned him to stop or lose you as a friend, if they continue then block him etc. then if he still contacted by other means you could have gone to the university/police with a harassment claim.

Im not really sure what you can do as allowing him to sit the exam you have demonstrated flagrant disregard for academic regulations.

These people are all idiots, honest to god morons, and you followed this by a stupid decision of not cutting them loose & going along with their beyond ridiculous idea.
(edited 3 years ago)
@bodetode

No offence but this is one of the most ridiculous things that I have read in 2021. It is simply silly to allow someone to want to write your examination for you. Frankly, you played yourself.

I hope you can get support elsewhere. All the best.
Original post by mnot
So a couple of things.

1) Of course you were going to get caught and get expelled. You should have never allowed him to sit the exam. I think you have lost all leverage/negotiating with the university as this is as serious an academic offence as you get.

2) You should have told him to **** off, its not your fault they didnt let him take the module. He needs to grow up and learn to deal with it. After this didnt work you should have warned him to stop or lose you as a friend, if they continue then block him etc. then if he still contacted by other means you could have gone to the university/police with a harassment claim.

Im not really sure what you can do as allowing him to sit the exam you have demonstrated flagrant disregard for academic regulations.

These people are all idiots, honest to god morons, and you followed this by a stupid decision of not cutting them loose & going along with their beyond ridiculous idea.

1) Was not intending to get away with it and wanted him to get caught. Not allowing him to sit the exam would have resulted in a far worse situation which I still would have been blamed for. I'm over it now but I did consider suicide as my only other viable option. It's not as serious as people dying.

2) If I had told him to F**k off I would have been dead and possibly so would a lot of other people. I needed to be assisted in this matter. I needed back up and someone to believe this was going on instead of being in a position of being blamed for the inevitable outcome which would have been either:-
a) getting caught and possibly expelled
b )many people dying and getting blamed for that instead

Which would you choose?

I think you severely underestimate the determination and prevalence of ideas in some cultures.

You said - "These people are all idiots, honest to god morons, and you followed this by a stupid decision of not cutting them loose & going along with their beyond ridiculous idea."

As mentioned, I had no way available to me to cut them loose. I don't think you have a grasp of the situation.

People from this culture will not only kill you but also your family for talking about them like this. This is NO joke.

Trouble is the UK is so stuck it's head in the sand about multiculturalism that the inevitable would have already happened before there was any chance to do anything about it.
so you posted under your TSR name and now are replying under anon :confused:
You should have told them you were getting threats instead of asking them if they can take the exam! The way you handled this is extremely dumb
Original post by Anonymous
You should have told them you were getting threats instead of asking them if they can take the exam! The way you handled this is extremely dumb

As I already said I tried to speak to people about it and was blatantly denied the opportunity , multiple times - quite aggressively in fact. If I spoke to the wrong person about it the end result could have been catastrophic.

Underestimating the gravity of certain outcomes, as you have demonstrated in your reply, is a sure way to end up in an even worse situation.
Original post by stereotypeasian
so you posted under your TSR name and now are replying under anon :confused:

your point?
your point?

where's the consistency ?
we also know its you as you are answering everything on the thread so its technically abusing the anon feature as well (also against guidelines)
someone can correct me if I have misunderstood the TSR rules/guidelines but isn't it against them to be both TSR name and anon in the same thread :dontknow:
Original post by Wired_1800
@bodetode

No offence but this is one of the most ridiculous things that I have read in 2021. It is simply silly to allow someone to want to write your examination for you. Frankly, you played yourself.

I hope you can get support elsewhere. All the best.

Non taken - thank you for your reply.

Exactly the point, it's ridiculous - I hear you. To US it is ridiculous because we have no perception of this in our culture so it sound 'ridiculous'. And exactly that's just the point - not many would believe me if I told them ...ending up with the same result of me getting expelled or far worse = no escape from the situation anyway.

That is the perception of the situation and would have been at the time. It is because you don't get it => 'ridiculous'.
Reply 10
Some students threatened you to blow up the uni because some idiot didn't get to take a module? Not buying this, it makes no sense.
This does sound like a rather improbable chain of events.
Nah, I'm sold.
You believed they would kill you and bomb the school. Rlly.
Reply 14
this is a bad Hollywood script
As I already said I tried to speak to people about it and was blatantly denied the opportunity , multiple times - quite aggressively in fact. If I spoke to the wrong person about it the end result could have been catastrophic.

Underestimating the gravity of certain outcomes, as you have demonstrated in your reply, is a sure way to end up in an even worse situation.

Did you try to explain the situation in writing, i.e by email, if they weren’t listening to you? Either way, you had absolutely no reason whatsoever to let him take the exam for you, even if he was threatening you with violence.
Non taken - thank you for your reply.

Exactly the point, it's ridiculous - I hear you. To US it is ridiculous because we have no perception of this in our culture so it sound 'ridiculous'. And exactly that's just the point - not many would believe me if I told them ...ending up with the same result of me getting expelled or far worse = no escape from the situation anyway.

That is the perception of the situation and would have been at the time. It is because you don't get it => 'ridiculous'.

Other members of this thread also dont get it or believe you. It makes no sense that someone wanted to take a module so bad that they threatened you to allow them to sit the exam. There was no benefit to them. Hence your story makes no sense.

If for some reason, this is actually true, then you simply caused your own misfortune. A person make a threat to commit mass murder and you did not report to the police. Sorry, this is too funny and incredibly unbelievable.
This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen in my life, don't blame your - doubt its real - dumb decisions on a political stance lmao. By the way we don't even live in a multiculturalism system, we live under an individual integration model and if you mean a multicultural society yeah we live in a somewhat diverse country but I don't know what that has to with you being stupid enough to allow someone to sit your exam, someone you term a a "friend" who would apparently otherwise "beat you up". Yeah right.
Original post by TheUltimateHulk
You believed they would kill you and bomb the school. Rlly.

District possibility - Yes!
This is the dumbest thread I have ever seen in my life, don't blame your - doubt its real - dumb decisions on a political stance lmao. By the way we don't even live in a multiculturalism system, we live under an individual integration model and if you mean a multicultural society yeah we live in a somewhat diverse country but I don't know what that has to with you being stupid enough to allow someone to sit your exam, someone you term a a "friend" who would apparently otherwise "beat you up". Yeah right.

I appreciate you do not understand the situation. That's why you find it 'dumb' and 'yeah right' - Exactly my point - if I tried to tell people at the time they would have had the same reaction - i.e. not believe me ("I doubt it's real") and assume I wanted to cheat. You response proves my point. Obviously "I'm stupid" for trying to tell someone in the first place because they would not believe me. Exactly - you are correct it is a the dumbest situation and most ridiculous situation I've ever encountered and thus proves my point. You hit the nail on the head there.

Latest

Trending

Trending