The Student Room Group

diffrentiation

quick question:

2x^2 x 3 =

the gradient function will be= 4x - 1 right?

why in my book it says only 4x?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TrES2b
quick question:

2x^2 x 3 =

yes d/dx = 4x-1
Original post by TrES2b
quick question:

2x^2 x 3 =

Because its wrong :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TrES2b
quick question:

2x^2 x 3 =

Can you please post a picture of the question and answer?
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
yes d/dx = 4x-1

Original post by Muttley79
Because its wrong :smile:

thank you so much i was so confused :smile:

Original post by Notnek

and yes sure!
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek

this is taken from my edexcel book so its a bit odd they would publish a book with incorrect solutions
Reply 6
Original post by TrES2b
this is taken from my edexcel book so its a bit odd they would publish a book with incorrect solutions

Why are you differentiating 2x2x32x^2-x-3? That's just the left-hand-side of an equation so it won't give you anything useful.

You differentiate to find the gradient of a curve, in this case y=2x2y=2x^2, If you don't understand why let us know.
Original post by TrES2b

The curve is y= 2x^2

It is 4x
Text book is correct, you’re wrong
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek
Why are you differentiating 2x2x32x^2-x-3? That's just the left-hand-side of an equation so it won't give you anything useful.

You differentiate to find the gradient of a curve, in this case y=2x2y=2x^2, If you don't understand why let us know.

so I should always only differentiate the equation of the curve?
Original post by TrES2b

You are conflating the equation which determines 2 points along the curve, with the curve itself.

You need the gradient of y = x^2 at the point the curve intersects y = x + 3
Reply 11
Original post by CaptainDuckie
The curve is y= 2x^2

It is 4x

Original post by CaptainDuckie
Text book is correct, you’re wrong

thank you so much lmaooo self teaching is so challening 😭
Reply 12
Original post by TrES2b
so I should always only differentiate the equation of the curve?

In this case yes since it says "Find the gradients of the curve...".

If you're still unsure please explain why you differentiated 2x2x32x^2-x-3.
Reply 13
Original post by Notnek
In this case yes since it says "Find the gradients of the curve...".

If you're still unsure please explain why you differentiated 2x2x32x^2-x-3.

basically for the previous question since I am trying to teach this to myself when they got the gradient function"2x-5" I thought they differentiated the
"x^2 5x + 6=0" there's not really any steps written so i was trying to piece it together but luckily I've realised what to do now :smile:

thank you all:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by mnot
You are conflating the equation which determines 2 points along the curve, with the curve itself.

You need the gradient of y = x^2 at the point the curve intersects y = x + 3

yes thank you so much I've just started the topic in my self-studies so its still a bit confusing but thank you for your help i really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by TrES2b
basically for the previous question since I am trying to teach this to myself when they got the gradient function"2x-5" I thought they differentiated the
"x^2 5x + 6=0" there's not really any steps written so i was trying to piece it together but luckily I've realised what to do now :smile:

thank you all:smile:

I can see now why you got mixed up.

But if you're self-teaching it's so important that you understand everything you are doing. Make sure you always ask why e.g. why should I differentiate that? What does differentiating do?

If you're just following a solution without understanding then you're going to struggle. I can't stress enough how important this is. So many students blindly follow solutions without understanding and do poorly in tests where they are faced with unseen questions.
Original post by TrES2b
quick question:

2x^2 x 3 =

You are right. Differentiating terms by terms, it is 4x - 1. Could be that your book has a typos.
For self-teaching, use TL maths on youtube, he explains everything so easily! You can go on YouTube and search TL maths followed by the subject, or you can navigate through his videos on his site:

https://sites.google.com/view/tlmaths/home
Reply 18
Original post by Notnek
I can see now why you got mixed up.

But if you're self-teaching it's so important that you understand everything you are doing. Make sure you always ask why e.g. why should I differentiate that? What does differentiating do?

If you're just following a solution without understanding then you're going to struggle. I can't stress enough how important this is. So many students blindly follow solutions without understanding and do poorly in tests where they are faced with unseen questions.

yes youre right thank you so much i will research and continue to ask questions to better my understanding :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Smouncher
For self-teaching, use TL maths on youtube, he explains everything so easily! You can go on YouTube and search TL maths followed by the subject, or you can navigate through his videos on his site:

https://sites.google.com/view/tlmaths/home

ive heard hes really good! thank you so much i will check him out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest