Forces acting on a bouncing ball

Watch this thread
Squigman
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Am i right in thinking after they ball had bounced and hit the ground and comes back to the maximum bounce height the forces acting boom the ball are balanced and it is gravity and upthrust? As the object is stationary although it is suspended in air?
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Strach2k)
Am i right in thinking after they ball had bounced and hit the ground and comes back to the maximum bounce height the forces acting boom the ball are balanced and it is gravity and upthrust? As the object is stationary although it is suspended in air?
No the velocity of the ball is zero but that doesn't mean that the forces are balanced. After the ball bounces the only force acting on the ball is gravity and this will continue to act throughout the motion of the ball. The ball has an upwards velocity but the downwards gravity force causes the velocity to decrease and eventually reach 0.

Any upwards force on the ball will occur at the point that the ball hits the ground, but as soon as it has left the ground that force will no longer be acting.
Last edited by Notnek; 1 year ago
Squigman
Rep:
So at the top of the maximum bounce height after it has hit the ground even though its "suspended in air" still the only force pushing it is gravity, so its unbalanced? If it was horizontal it would be equal forces as its not moving? The fact it has fallen is confusing me?
Squigman
Rep:
So which force is pushing the ball up?
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Strach2k)
Have you already studied Conservation of energy? Kinetic energy/gravitational potential energy?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.76%
The paper was reasonable (199)
49.01%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
24.88%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.34%

Watched Threads