sq6id
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I didn't take it for GCSE but I'm considering it for A Level.

Any advice on how it is overall (easy/hard), is it regarded, is it very essay based/what is the course structure mostly like?

Thank you so much, any help is hugely appreciated! (:
hiiiii1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I chose it for the first time too but I ended up enjoying it.
There is a lot of content, but I find it relatively easier compared to my other subjects (bio and chem) and if you are good at writing essays, then this subject is for you. You are taught how to write 15 and 25 markers etc, and there is not much maths, which is a common misconception about economics, as a lot of people choose it thinking that there is a lot of maths involved.
I won't be doing econ at uni, but this subject has helped me gain a lot of knowledge about how the world around us works - eg, why unemployment happens, why the government imposes taxes etc. It is pretty enjoyable I'd say.
Good luck
sq6id
Rep:
?
(Original post by hiiiii1)
I chose it for the first time too but I ended up enjoying it.
There is a lot of content, but I find it relatively easier compared to my other subjects (bio and chem) and if you are good at writing essays, then this subject is for you. You are taught how to write 15 and 25 markers etc, and there is not much maths, which is a common misconception about economics, as a lot of people choose it thinking that there is a lot of maths involved.
I won't be doing econ at uni, but this subject has helped me gain a lot of knowledge about how the world around us works - eg, why unemployment happens, why the government imposes taxes etc. It is pretty enjoyable I'd say.
Good luck
oh that sounds cool. thank you for the advice (:
emileeeei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sq6id)
I didn't take it for GCSE but I'm considering it for A Level.

Any advice on how it is overall (easy/hard), is it regarded, is it very essay based/what is the course structure mostly like?

Thank you so much, any help is hugely appreciated! (:
everyone in my year who took it for gcse dropped out of a-level because it was so boring - its literally the same content for at least year 1 so dont worry about that... ive found it easier than my other subjects (maths, further maths, philosophy) because its quite easy as long as you make a little effort in like the first term of year one - i was quite intimidated to begin with because we were introduced to so many diagrams ar first, but they're all recycled all the way through year one and two so it ends up being really not that hard because you're just applying the same diagram to new situations. there's some content to learn, but the essays dont have to be *too* good (as in, I'm not that great at essays and am predicted A*). I really enjoy it and have decided to take it at uni, so i definitely recommend it! oh, and there's an entire multiple choice/short answer question section in the exams that its easy to pick up marks on
what other subjects are you considering? what are you planning on for uni?
sq6id
Rep:
?
(Original post by emileeeei)
everyone in my year who took it for gcse dropped out of a-level because it was so boring - its literally the same content for at least year 1 so dont worry about that... ive found it easier than my other subjects (maths, further maths, philosophy) because its quite easy as long as you make a little effort in like the first term of year one - i was quite intimidated to begin with because we were introduced to so many diagrams ar first, but they're all recycled all the way through year one and two so it ends up being really not that hard because you're just applying the same diagram to new situations. there's some content to learn, but the essays dont have to be *too* good (as in, I'm not that great at essays and am predicted A*). I really enjoy it and have decided to take it at uni, so i definitely recommend it! oh, and there's an entire multiple choice/short answer question section in the exams that its easy to pick up marks on
what other subjects are you considering? what are you planning on for uni?
I think I'm taking maths and computing and either psychology or economics for a level. I'm interested in doing a degree in computer science or something finance related (:

btw how do u find further maths?
LizzyO
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sq6id)
I think I'm taking maths and computing and either psychology or economics for a level. I'm interested in doing a degree in computer science or something finance related (:

Comp Sci, Maths and Economics are my exact subjects and I’ve applied for Computer Science for uni next year. Economics was a last minute pick for me and I had never taken it before. I basically agree with what everyone has said so far. Personally I changed schools after GCSE and at my new school the majority of the class had been taught by my teacher at GCSE so he didn’t feel the need to get over many things which made me regret Economics for the first half of yr 12 because I was proper lost But towards the end of yr12 everything really started making sense and as long as you learn the basics in AS well you will be okay for the rest of the course cause A2 is pretty much the same topics but with a little more detail, any brand new things you will pick up pretty easy. I find it much easier than my other two subjects even though I don’t consider myself an essay person and another plus is that it’s nice to actually understand what’s happening in the economy/news so I find the subject quite enjoyable.

TL: DR
You’ll be fine if you didn’t take GCSE economics. Alevel economics is a mix of common sense and everyday maths. Just keep up with the news and do lots of essay practice.
emileeeei
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sq6id)

okay so with that mix and your future plans- i would definitely say take economics... i was considering psychology and cs as well (decided to self teach what i need in comp sci hahah) but psychology is pretty sciencey in terms of like methods but isn't seen as as rigorous as bio/chem/phys so it didn't really fit in with anything imo

as for fm, it makes maths seem ridiculously easy and boring hahaha
pure is fine, I'm on top of all that and its interesting, but i am ridiculously bad at mechanics and I'm finding that quite hard... its manageable but challenging, and i really enjoy it - the biggest downside is i wish i could drop regular maths because i hate the lessons so much ahaha

you can always take AS first year and see how you get on
if you like maths i 10/10 recommend, as long as you know you wont be upset with yourself if you choose to drop it later (its hard, so you gotta know you're comfortable choosing to back out i think)
sq6id
Rep:
?
(Original post by emileeeei)
okay so with that mix and your future plans- i would definitely say take economics... i was considering psychology and cs as well (decided to self teach what i need in comp sci hahah) but psychology is pretty sciencey in terms of like methods but isn't seen as as rigorous as bio/chem/phys so it didn't really fit in with anything imo

as for fm, it makes maths seem ridiculously easy and boring hahaha
pure is fine, I'm on top of all that and its interesting, but i am ridiculously bad at mechanics and I'm finding that quite hard... its manageable but challenging, and i really enjoy it - the biggest downside is i wish i could drop regular maths because i hate the lessons so much ahaha

you can always take AS first year and see how you get on
if you like maths i 10/10 recommend, as long as you know you wont be upset with yourself if you choose to drop it later (its hard, so you gotta know you're comfortable choosing to back out i think)
maybe i can try taking it for AS and dropping if i want, thank you so much for the advice (:
sq6id
Rep:
?
(Original post by LizzyO)
Comp Sci, Maths and Economics are my exact subjects and I’ve applied for Computer Science for uni next year. Economics was a last minute pick for me and I had never taken it before. I basically agree with what everyone has said so far. Personally I changed schools after GCSE and at my new school the majority of the class had been taught by my teacher at GCSE so he didn’t feel the need to get over many things which made me regret Economics for the first half of yr 12 because I was proper lost But towards the end of yr12 everything really started making sense and as long as you learn the basics in AS well you will be okay for the rest of the course cause A2 is pretty much the same topics but with a little more detail, any brand new things you will pick up pretty easy. I find it much easier than my other two subjects even though I don’t consider myself an essay person and another plus is that it’s nice to actually understand what’s happening in the economy/news so I find the subject quite enjoyable.

TL: DR
You’ll be fine if you didn’t take GCSE economics. Alevel economics is a mix of common sense and everyday maths. Just keep up with the news and do lots of essay practice.
oh okay that's good. definitely gonna have to do a lot of practice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads